Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

#metoo

For Westlife...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,786 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Listening to Mario and his Sunday Roast now cos I wanted to hear Dunphy.

Is the show always this bad?

I would not be a fan of Mario, but he is a poor presenter for someone involved in the business for so long.

Its like a student radio show. Awful standard of questions for Eamonn and a very strange end when he more or less said openly that he had asked all his questions and had nothing else to ask. Then bumbled along for another minute or two to fill time by telling Eamonn how great he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

NIMAN wrote: »

I would not be a fan of Mario, but he is a poor presenter for someone involved in the business for so long.

Its like a student radio show. Awful standard of questions for Eamonn and a very strange end when he more or less said openly that he had asked all his questions and had nothing else to ask. Then bumbled along for another minute or two to fill time by telling Eamonn how great he is.

Yeah, I heard that as well. It was very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I would not hear that program very often but happened to hear the tail end of the interview. It was a bit awkward I thought. Maybe Mario had something on his mind...or maybe he was starstruck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I stumble upon it every now and then and it's a brutal show.

Mario should stick to what he knows best.

I still find it strange that anybody over a radio station could fire somebody like Anton Savage and promote the likes of Mario to have his own show.

On the upside we've just been treated to Sabotage followed by Golden Brown on Eds Songs of Praise. The last remaining shining beacon on what was once a great radio station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Mario is a great impressionist and a very good sketch writer. He's not a good presenter and never will be. Was clearly given the gig as someone already employed by the station to save them paying for a competent presenter. All part of the lingering slide into ****e that has been Today FM's modus operandi of the last five years or more. Outside of gift grub, Smith and McLoone are they only things worth giving time to. Being forced to listen to that run from Dermot and Dave through Mairead Ronan to Fergal D'Arcy could be used by the courts as a crime deterrent it's that painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Big Game wrote: »
    Mario is a great impressionist and a very good sketch writer. He's not a good presenter and never will be. Was clearly given the gig as someone already employed by the station to save them paying for a competent presenter. All part of the lingering slide into ****e that has been Today FM's modus operandi of the last five years or more. Outside of gift grub, Smith and McLoone are they only things worth giving time to. Being forced to listen to that run from Dermot and Dave through Mairead Ronan to Fergal D'Arcy could be used by the courts as a crime deterrent it's that painful.

Absolutely. In all fairness, 3 times a week would be enough Gift Grub too, the man is running out of ideas and it's hard to blame him. He has been doing it for two decades

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,786 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    Absolutely. In all fairness, 3 times a week would be enough Gift Grub too, the man is running out of ideas and it's hard to blame him. He has been doing it for two decades

GG stopped being funny a long time ago.

He created many classic sketches and characters over the years, but its been flogged well past its sell-by at this stage.

Back to his radio show, if thats his standard of presenting weekly, I must remember not to tune in again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

BPKS wrote: »
    I stumble upon it every now and then and it's a brutal show.

Mario should stick to what he knows best.

I still find it strange that anybody over a radio station could fire somebody like Anton Savage and promote the likes of Mario to have his own show.

On the upside we've just been treated to Sabotage followed by Golden Brown on Eds Songs of Praise. The last remaining shining beacon on what was once a great radio station.

One small thing, Anton walked he wasn't fired. He wasn't prepared to do the fluff they wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

"What's on your keyring" is the topic today. Inspiring stuff.

Of course their social media has a shoutout from Dave as to where he got some bit of tat on his one.
    Some lads for the freebies.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Who’s the guy Dermot and Dave have had on talking about the US Election? He’s quite good.

He wasn’t on today but he was on a couple of times talking about Kanye West or whatever. I heard him once or twice before that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

Another bit on Normal People. D&D need to go back to lunchtime and tighten up the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Bit of a bump for this but a thought popped into my head today when I saw the new Ireland jersey being launched ... how long until they get their freebie in the post? Tomorrow? Early next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Dave had one from elverys on his Instagram this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Dave had one from elverys on his Instagram this evening

That world cup, though... Sinead or the Cranberries, Nothing Compares 2 U or Zombie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭RINO87

Thread bump reminded me.... Saturday last week they had a live gig on at 9 pm. Celine Dion, I sh1t you not.

Just checked the schedule and "virtually live" appears in that timeslot next week too so it would appear to be a regular thing, who's next? Barbara Streisand??

RINO87 wrote: »
    Thread bump reminded me.... Saturday last week they had a live gig on at 9 pm. Celine Dion, I sh1t you not.

Just checked the schedule and "virtually live" appears in that timeslot next week too so it would appear to be a regular thing, who's next? Barbara Streisand??

Chemical Brothers, actually.

Kodaline, last week, so Celine Dion may have been the week before? Previously Dua Lipa, Harry Styles, Greenday, Dermot Kennedy, The Script, David Gray. So a good bit of variety.

Don't think they have Streisand lined up, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭RINO87

Chemical Brothers, actually.

Kodaline, last week, so Celine Dion may have been the week before? Previously Dua Lipa, Harry Styles, Greenday, Dermot Kennedy, The Script, David Gray. So a good bit of variety.

Don't think they have Streisand lined up, though.

Fair enough, most of those seem to fit in with their target audience, but just couldn't believe my ears hearing Celine Dion, especially before Claire Beck

RINO87 wrote: »
    Fair enough, most of those seem to fit in with their target audience, but just couldn't believe my ears hearing Celine Dion, especially before Claire Beck

Yeah, not an act I'd normally associate with Today FM at all, and especially around that timeslot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

TBH, I'd rather listen to a Celine Dion concert than the likes of Kodaline or The Script.

'It's all Coming Back To Me Now' is an absolute banger! A Jim Steinman classic.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

I used to like D&D on 98 years ago, really can't stand them now with their stupid "irishness" lark...shur lookit isn't that it, Nonie etc.

Can someone explain to me on what planet is that Nonie thing supposed to be funny? What is the appeal with a man dressing as a woman? Dave comes across as real cocky too and he overexaggerates his laugh whenever Dermot says something.

Fergal Darcy is just an unlikable being.

Mairead Ronan, Anna Geary and McSweeney are worse again.

Coopers show is good sometimes. He was laying into Ryanair the other day about the refunds but I think the only reason he did was because he's waiting on refunds himself. He has too many snowflake guests on his panel like Roe McDermott

GG stopped being funny a long time ago.

He created many classic sketches and characters over the years, but its been flogged well past its sell-by at this stage.

Back to his radio show, if thats his standard of presenting weekly, I must remember not to tune in again.

Gift Grub really is past its sell by date.

It was fine years ago when there was no internet and an impressionist was a novelty. Now they're a dime a dozen online and oversaturated.

I used to like D&D on 98 years ago, really can't stand them now with their stupid "irishness" lark...shur lookit isn't that it, Nonie etc.

Can someone explain to me on what planet is that Nonie thing supposed to be funny? What is the appeal with a man dressing as a woman? Dave comes across as real cocky too and he overexaggerates his laugh whenever Dermot says something.

Fergal Darcy is just an unlikable being.

Mairead Ronan, Anna Geary and McSweeney are worse again.

Coopers show is good sometimes. He was laying into Ryanair the other day about the refunds but I think the only reason he did was because he's waiting on refunds himself. He has too many snowflake guests on his panel like Roe McDermott

So you don't like anything about the daytime schedule at all, at all?

I find D&D hilarious. Laugh out loud funny. Including Noni. No, there's nothing funny about a man dressing as a woman, it's what Noni says that's funny. Mairead Ronan, I may not agree with all of her opinions but I find her very honest and human. Horses for courses. There were two presenters in the D&D slot a few years ago whose humour was just sleazy. Couldn't listen to them. So I didn't.

So you don't like anything about the daytime schedule at all, at all?

I find D&D hilarious. Laugh out loud funny. Including Noni. No, there's nothing funny about a man dressing as a woman, it's what Noni says that's funny. Mairead Ronan, I may not agree with all of her opinions but I find her very honest and human. Horses for courses. There were two presenters in the D&D slot a few years ago whose humour was just sleazy. Couldn't listen to them. So I didn't.

No I don't listen to today fm at all. Flick through sometimes but quickly switch. Give some videos on fb that have a few k likes to see if they're funny, they're not.

Cooper is the only one I'd ever listen to.

I can't even stand Dempsey. I find him a bit ditzy and doesn't come across as very sharp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I generally like D&D, they’re harmless for the most part but for me the Noni thing is painfully unfunny. Instant channel changer when I hear that coming up. Maybe I don’t get it?

I’m not sure where the 2 lads fit in their apparent desired demographic either. They are 2 middle aged men who talk a lot about their uninteresting family lives. Not sure how that appeals to the younger set.

Mairead and Ferg in particular are absolutely awful. I cannot bear that guy. Really terrible.

It’s been said repeatedly but the playlist is dirge. Ed Smith’s shows aside, it’s really awful. Harry Styles, Dermot Kennedy, Ed sheeran, Niall Horan, the god awful Gavin bloody James. Turn on Today FM at any random moment during the day and one of the above will be playing. Celine Dion would actually be a welcome respite!!

Ed Smith is the one diamond in that schedule. I tuned in last Sunday night and he had 2 hours of “chill” music. Excellent stuff. It was only occasionally painfully interrupted by the obligatory ad break every 10 mins or so with stings for Iano’s show and terrible Gift grub clips. Very jarring during Ed’s excellent show.

No I don't listen to today fm at all. Flick through sometimes but quickly switch. Give some videos on fb that have a few k likes to see if they're funny, they're not.

Cooper is the only one I'd ever listen to.

I can't even stand Dempsey. I find him a bit ditzy and doesn't come across as very sharp.

I know where you're coming from. Me, I hate spicy food. I was asked out for a meal the last week, so obviously I said "Let's make it Mexican!" For a starter, I just had the chicken wings, cos I hate spicy food, and when the waiter asked what flavour, I asked for hot sauce flavour. Made me cough and splutter!

For my main course, I went for a burrito with salsa verde. It was way too hot, I hate spicy food. Like, the top of my head actually started to sweat? Deeply unpleasant.

Then for dessert, I just had some vanilla ice cream, topped with jalapenos. It was horrible, burned the mouth of me.

We're going out again next week. Did I mention I hate spicy food? I think we'll go to an Indian...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I know where you're coming from. Me, I hate spicy food. I was asked out for a meal the last week, so obviously I said "Let's make it Mexican!" For a starter, I just had the chicken wings, cos I hate spicy food, and when the waiter asked what flavour, I asked for hot sauce flavour. Made me cough and splutter!

For my main course, I went for a burrito with salsa verde. It was way too hot, I hate spicy food. Like, the top of my head actually started to sweat? Deeply unpleasant.

Then for dessert, I just had some vanilla ice cream, topped with jalapenos. It was horrible, burned the mouth of me.

We're going out again next week. Did I mention I hate spicy food? I think we'll go to an Indian...

Are you okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Are you okay?

I actually think he might be Fergal Darcy

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Are you okay?

Sorry my point went over your head, Pete. In short - if you hate something, why not just avoid it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

Dermot or Dave is on again

Advertisement