Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Tork wrote: »
    I bet you're not 25

You are right, I'm 27

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Shauna O Reilly to get her own show from next Saturday 6-9pm.

Who is she taking over from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jonathan King

davo2001 wrote: »

Derek Flood ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Think it was Claire Beck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Was that Jessica Maciel? She's covering someone else on weekends now (Pamela Joyce I think?) and the presenter she's covering is covering early breakfast on weekdays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Who?

And source?

Who?

And source?

And to answer my own question, she's tweeted about it. Seems to be a news reporter with them now, doing entertainment stories? Couldn't remember who has that slot now (I thought Jessica Maciel too) but it's just down on the site as "Saturday Hits" - last night's show had Ferg D'arcy in. Dec Pierce on before and Claire Beck on after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

And to answer my own question, she's tweeted about it. Seems to be a news reporter with them now, doing entertainment stories? Couldn't remember who has that slot now (I thought Jessica Maciel too) but it's just down on the site as "Saturday Hits" - last night's show had Ferg D'arcy in. Dec Pierce on before and Claire Beck on after.

She's on Ian Dempsey's show in the mornings. Does a bit of everything for him; Beat the intro, Entertainment news.

She's on Ian Dempsey's show in the mornings. Does a bit of everything for him; Beat the intro, Entertainment news.

Ah, thanks. Yeah, I listen to Morning Ireland until 9 to find out what's happening in the world, before fleeing from Ryan Tubridy, so never hear her.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

What’s happening at Today FM?

New shows being announced, head of music “stepping down”...?

Is a full reshuffle on the cards or what?

Unlikely any change to Weekdays, i'm sure a lot of this is part of restructuring behind the scenes as Communicorp deals with the impacts of Coivd-19. The business as whole is taking 4 stations and sharing resources more and more, so they probably have plans for more "Group" roles, so a group Head of Music.

They replaced the Programe Director during the summer too which seemed to go under the radar, so I would expect some more changes over the next while, but cant see any daytime staff changing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Probably worth mentioning again what a great show Ed Smiths Sings Of Praise is. 3 hours of great music last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭lolie

Had to laugh on Thursday morning last week at Pamela's segment on words that are mispronounced, all while she was filling in for Dermit and Dave on Tadayfm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

anytime I switch on Today FM, there's a female presenter on.

anytime I switch on Today FM, there's a female presenter on.

:rolleyes:

I'm not going to copy and paste the schedule here... but maybe try listening more, the problem might be more on your end?

Speaking of which, though... Dermot and Dave were on this morning, talking about their kids again. Feck's sake... these hormonal male DJs, always going on about their families. Ferg D'arcy was doing this too, earlier, talking about his late da. It's constant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭statto25

I'm not going to copy and paste the schedule here... but maybe try listening more, the problem might be more on your end?

Speaking of which, though... Dermot and Dave were on this morning, talking about their kids again. Feck's sake... these hormonal male DJs, always going on about their families. Ferg D'arcy was doing this too, earlier, talking about his late da. It's constant!

Give over. Both serial offenders of the "I have a husband and kids" narrative are Alison and Mairead. No other presenters constantly drop their lives into the shows. I have no issue hearing about other people's lives and families but not to the extent they seem to promote them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

At the weekends

statto25 wrote: »
    Give over. Both serial offenders of the "I have a husband and kids" narrative are Alison and Mairead. No other presenters constantly drop their lives into the shows. I have no issue hearing about other people's lives and families but not to the extent they seem to promote them

You don't listen to Dermot and Dave, then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I listen to Dermot and Dave and while they do mention their children it is very infrequent

At the weekends

Saturday is female-heavy, to be fair, but Dec Pierce, Phil Cawley, Ed Smith and Paul McLoone?

I listen to Dermot and Dave and while they do mention their children it is very infrequent

Yes, just a couple of times a week. What's the big deal with that?

• Advertisement

I do listen to Dermot and Dave, then.

statto25 wrote: »
    I do listen to Dermot and Dave, then.

Listening now? First mention of kids this morning that I heard, just now, talking about "Daddy, the printer's not working!" They did mention them yesterday, too, but admittedly I can't remember the context.

That's two days for two.

And y'know? It's grand. Also grand when Mairéad mentions hers. And it'd be kind of odd for Alison, the presenter of a weekend magazine show aimed at kids and young families to not mention them?

Listening now? First mention of kids this morning that I heard, just now, talking about "Daddy, the printer's not working!" They did mention them yesterday, too, but admittedly I can't remember the context.

That's two days for two.

And y'know? It's grand. Also grand when Mairéad mentions hers. And it'd be kind of odd for Alison, the presenter of a weekend magazine show aimed at kids and young families to not mention them?

Maybe its the manner in which kids are introduced to topics is my issue then. D&D will take the mick and seem to speak about kids and family naturally. I feel Mairead and Alison must shoehorn their husbands/partners and kids into every conversation they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,778 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Probably worth mentioning again what a great show Ed Smiths Sings Of Praise is. 3 hours of great music last night.

The best music is played on Irish radio after tea time.

During the day it's Ed Sheeran, Picture This, Dermot Kennedy, Gavin James, Dua Lipa on repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Tork

I seem to remember there was a school of thought that Anton Savage's show didn't connect with listeners was because he kept his private life out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

NIMAN wrote: »

During the day it's Ed Sheeran, Picture This, Dermot Kennedy, Gavin James, Dua Lipa on repeat.

Agree with the above and on the radio when driving in the evening

I've been listening to Daytime radio since lock down and wfh.

I can't listen to Ian Dempsey any more I think it's his sidekick. It's repetitive comedy but each to their own.

Dermot & Dave are easily listening fodder that entertains.

Mairead i can give or take. Around lunchtime I switch off and switch between Spotify, NME and podcasts.

It's playlists i can't stand same repetitive songs.. I wanted to punch Nial Horan and lady gaga before this.. Now that would be to good for them. I'm sure djs want to play something different and sometimes they do but not often enough.

Any who it's whatever gets the listeners and more importantly Advertisement.

I can switch off and regularly do but different folks different strokes each to their own etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Agree with the above and on the radio when driving in the evening

It's playlists i can't stand same repetitive songs.. I wanted to punch Nial Horan and lady gaga before this.. Now that would be to good for them. I'm sure djs want to play something different and sometimes they do but not often enough.

Any who it's whatever gets the listeners and more importantly Advertisement.

Today FM are soon getting their first new head of music since the station opened so hopefully it’ll be a good change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭RINO87

NIMAN wrote: »

You forgot Dance Monkey. Single handedly the worst chart hit of all time.

Edit....And its not like its even current anymore. Why oh why do they still play it??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

RINO87 wrote: »
    You forgot Dance Monkey. Single handedly the worst chart hit of all time.

Edit....And its not like its even current anymore. Why oh why do they still play it??

That song and "Giants" by Demott Kennedy are played every show it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Today FM are soon getting their first new head of music since the station opened so hopefully it’ll be a good change

I just had a look at the Linkedin account of Brian Adams, former Head of Music for Today FM, which in turn linked to a Hot Press article about him.

https://www.hotpress.com/music/today-fm-head-of-music-brian-adams-announces-that-he-is-leaving-the-station-22830882

I see from the article that Brian was involved with the station from an early stage, even before it launched on March 17th 1997 as Radio Ireland. He started with them on January 1997. He says over 23 years which is correct, but, given that he finished up last week, it is nearer to 24 years. I had no idea until I saw this post, followed by the article, that anyone was left on the broadcasting side of the house since its very beginning, apart from Phil Cawley.

It will be interesting to see what happens in that area now.

Advertisement