Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭kg703

She's on Ian Dempsey's show in the mornings. Does a bit of everything for him; Beat the intro, Entertainment news.

I really like Shauna. She's funny, has good taste in music and is just normal. I could have a pint with her.

Delighted she got her own show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭Rfrip

kg703 wrote: »
    I really like Shauna. She's funny, has good taste in music and is just normal. I could have a pint with her.

Delighted she got her own show

I really like her as well. Im chuffed for her that she has her own show
    I follow her on instagram and shes so funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

That song and "Giants" by Demott Kennedy are played every show it seems.

I switched off at about 1:30 today and went to watch some TV over lunch, then went to Spotify after lunch, I so didn't hear Ferg D'arcy's show. And we're now into solid Ed-quality music (Sultans of Ping FC on right now!), so I'm safe.

But I think this might be the first day in three or so months I've not heard Water-****ing-melon-****ing-sugar-****ing-High!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

That song and "Giants" by Demott Kennedy are played every show it seems.

I am sure Dermot Kennedy is great artist - but when TodayFM play him every hour, I am sick of him. What does Mr Kennedy have over TodayFM that they constantly play him???

Ah, irony...
    statto25 wrote: »
    Give over. Both serial offenders of the "I have a husband and kids" narrative are Alison and Mairead. No other presenters constantly drop their lives into the shows. I have no issue hearing about other people's lives and families but not to the extent they seem to promote them

It's pointed out many other presenters mention their kids all the time, including, e.g., Dermot and Dave.
    statto25 wrote:
    Maybe its the manner in which kids are introduced to topics is my issue then.

Dermot and Dave's mention of their kids this morning (just after 9:50, third time this week from three shows) was about when you're playing games with your kids and they make up and change the rules half way through in order to win...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭statto25

Ah, irony...

It's pointed out many other presenters mention their kids all the time, including, e.g., Dermot and Dave.

Dermot and Dave's mention of their kids this morning (just after 9:50, third time this week from three shows) was about when you're playing games with your kids and they make up and change the rules half way through in order to win...

This seems to be quite the important topic for you. Dermot and Dave have kids and the majority of their chat about their kids is light hearted. Mairead has no problem taking a topic about say "stress at home in the lockdown" and will fire in a phrase like "well Im a wife and a mother....." And shoehorn it into any convo and topic she can. Alison is the same. I have no issue with them being mothers and spouses. I have an issue with it being fired into any convo to make themselves relevant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Most of their listeners are probably 30+ with kids and families so it's an easy topic for the presenters to be able to relate to the listeners

statto25 wrote: »
    This seems to be quite the important topic for you. Dermot and Dave have kids and the majority of their chat about their kids is light hearted. Mairead has no problem taking a topic about say "stress at home in the lockdown" and will fire in a phrase like "well Im a wife and a mother....." And shoehorn it into any convo and topic she can. Alison is the same. I have no issue with them being mothers and spouses. I have an issue with it being fired into any convo to make themselves relevant

Likewise.

You've gone from "It's only ever Alison and Mairéad" to "Well, ok, I have to admit it's the men too, but it's different when they do it!"

Nah. Not buying it.

Essentially, what PsychoPete said.

A weekend magazine programme aimed at young listeners and young families? It'd be weird if Alison didn't mention her family and kids. Mairéad is as equally natural talking about her family as Dermot and Dave are talking about theirs. There's something else there... if only I could put my finger on it... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Most of their listeners are probably 30+ with kids and families so it's an easy topic for the presenters to be able to relate to the listeners

I'm in my 30s with a family and kids and I couldn't be f*cked hearing about families and kids of people I dont know.

Likewise.

You've gone from "It's only ever Alison and Mairéad" to "Well, ok, I have to admit it's the men too, but it's different when they do it!"

Nah. Not buying it.

Essentially, what PsychoPete said.

A weekend magazine programme aimed at young listeners and young families? It'd be weird if Alison didn't mention her family and kids. Mairéad is as equally natural talking about her family as Dermot and Dave are talking about theirs. There's something else there... if only I could put my finger on it... :rolleyes:

Put your finger on it then....

Like the poster above I am in my 30s with kids and I too cannot be arsed with listening to self important tripe about presenters families

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,927 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Poor Cal Thomas. Since he lost his wife he really went full hardcore Trump zealot. Its sad really.

Put your finger on it then....

Like the poster above I am in my 30s with kids and I too cannot be arsed with listening to self important tripe about presenters families, which is what I call it when women are talking about their kids and families, but when it's the lads talking about their kids and families, then it's all light hearted banter, cos I'm possibly just a little bit sexist.

Finger now on it.

Finger now on it.

Funny I don't recall typing the post you've edited to "prove your point"

I can assure you if a male presenter did the same , I'd call it the exact same way but that wouldn't fit your little agenda, would it? in fact if any presenter constantly shoehorned in their personal lives into most topics and pieces it would be the same. Ray D'Arcy constantly brought up his family life towards the end of Today FM stint and at the beginning of his Radio1 position and i felt the exact same way about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I never hear Dermot talk about his children but when Dave does, it's always taking the piss and is quite funny. If he was talking about them like the way Alison did, he'd be called out.

When Alison talks about her children, she does it in the most boring way possible but I guess it does suit her on the weekend show as it's aimed at families but anytime she filled in the mornings during the week, she would be yapping about them too, so she'd go on about them regardless of the show.

I don't really notice Mairead talk much about her children, she never mentions them anytime I listen

JNLR's out, great to see Ed doing well. Will have a look for the others. It's a pity they don't make them all public.

https://twitter.com/EdTodayFM/status/1324350574394040323

IUA14 wrote: »
    Ian Dempsey - 177,000 (down 2,000)
    Dermot and Dave - 164,000 (up 1,000)
    Fergal D'Arcy - 103,000 (down 6,000)
    Last Word - 148,000 (down 3,000)
    Mairead Ronan - 89,000

Book on book changes in JNLR's for primetime weekday schedule...

The above is the last list of JNLR figures I can find on this thread, and they were posted on 24th October 2019, so a whole year ago.

Here's today's figures (source: https://www.sundayworld.com/news/irish-news/joe-duffys-listenership-soars-as-liveline-records-ten-year-high-in-jnlr-figures-39709938.html) - according to the article, the difference in listeners is compared to last year's figures.

Ian Dempsey’s Breakfast Show: 179,000 listeners; +2,000
    Dermot and Dave: 183,000 listeners; +19,000
    Mairead Ronan: 103,000 listeners; +14,000
    Fergal D'Arcy: 125,000 listeners; +22,000
    Matt Cooper/the Last Word: 152,000 listeners; +4,000
    Ed's National Anthems: 27,000 listeners; +6,000 (unclear if that's this quarter or annual)
    Ed's Songs of Praise: ? listeners; +2,000 (unclear if that's this quarter or annual)

[Updated Ed's figure, from thejournal.ie]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

The above is the last list of JNLR figures I can find on this thread, and they were posted on 24th October 2019, so a whole year ago.

Here's today's figures (source: https://www.sundayworld.com/news/irish-news/joe-duffys-listenership-soars-as-liveline-records-ten-year-high-in-jnlr-figures-39709938.html) - according to the article, the difference in listeners is compared to last year's figures.

Ed's National Anthems: ? listeners; +6,000 (unclear if that's this quarter or annual)
    Ed's Songs of Praise: ? listeners; +2,000 (unclear if that's this quarter or annual)

Some big gains there. Maybe more people are listening to the radio as they're WFH?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Some big gains there. Maybe more people are listening to the radio as they're WFH?

whatever about WFH, more like "WTF" are they listening to Today FM ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

whatever about WFH, more like "WTF" are they listening to Today FM ?

I can see the appeal in listening to Dermot and Dave, they've been producing some good stuff in 2020.

Yup. Used to watch Netflix on my commute and my office had a "no radio" rule, so Ed would be the first show I'd listen to, or maybe Matt Cooper; now WFH the radio is on from when I get up, until bedtime, with the odd break for Spotify, and the office is so empty when I'm in now, the no radio rule is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Tork

I'd love to see an age breakdown of those figures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

siblers wrote: »
    When Alison talks about her children, she does it in the most boring way possible but I guess it does suit her on the weekend show
    I thought Alison had 1 daughter?

Cal again disgracing himself.

I dont think its fair to be bringing him on now he was too dependent on Trump and can't seem to cope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

pjohnson wrote: »
    Cal again disgracing himself.

I dont think its fair to be bringing him on now he was too dependent on Trump and can't seem to cope.

No way. He is constantly set up by Matt, its great to hear him fight back against the obvious bias of Matt and Marian. I'm in no way a fan of Trump but Cal has been constantly belittled and interrupted by Matt for years now.

No way. He is constantly set up by Matt, its great to hear him fight back against the obvious bias of Matt and Marian. I'm in no way a fan of Trump but Cal has been constantly belittled and interrupted by Matt for years now.

Whoops we seem to be posting in both threads :pac:

Anywho nah. Its just Cal spouting conspiracies and tantrums to whatever is said to him and dodging questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭4Ad

Cal losing it...

4Ad wrote: »
    Cal losing it...

He really was. Used to be decent to listen to, but he's become more and more a parody of himself in the last two years. "I don't namecall!" after doing just that for the last few weeks and months of "Biden's got dementia!"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Heard a bit of Cal, was like listening to a mad ould fella down the pub :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Ed's National Anthems: 27,000 listeners; +6,000 (unclear if that's this quarter or annual)

[Updated Ed's figure, from thejournal.ie]

Interesting that 80,000 people aren't listening to Maireads show

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Anna Geary is on The Late Late Show tonight, might be something on her absence from the Saturday radio show.

Advertisement