Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Today FM have a new playlist of 90's and 00's. I have not listened in years though I am guessing it's probably Wheatus "Teenage Dirtbag" or Outkast "Hey Ya" type yawn songs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭RINO87

Today FM have a new playlist of 90's and 00's. I have not listened in years though I am guessing it's probably Wheatus "Teenage Dirtbag" or Outkast "Hey Ya" type yawn songs

have heard neither today - its more stuff from around 2008-2015 I think, I worked in pubs around that time and a lot of what I'm hearing today brings me right back to those busy Saturday nights!

Not exactly my cup of tea music wise, but they remind me of a fun time in my life!

RINO87 wrote: »
    have heard neither today - its more stuff from around 2008-2015 I think, I worked in pubs around that time and a lot of what I'm hearing today brings me right back to those busy Saturday nights!

Not exactly my cup of tea music wise, but they remind me of a fun time in my life!

Right so it's pretty much the same as before..was hoping for early 90s stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

You haven't listened, but you're sure you don't like it? Grand, so. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

today fm playlist = radio nova playlist = today fm playlist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

today fm playlist = radio nova playlist = today fm playlist

Definitely not - Radio Nova play a lot more 80's and 90's music

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

True, but Nova claims to be a "classic rock" station which it hasn't been for many years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

Would've thought The Sopranos or Westworld would have featured in a list of best soundtracks in TV or film on the last word

You haven't listened, but you're sure you don't like it? Grand, so. :rolleyes:

My expectations a a change of music policy in Today FM would be low to be honest...after all it's no longer 2001 when they played stuff from the 60s to the 90s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Dannyman76 wrote: »
    Would've thought The Sopranos or Westworld would have featured in a list of best soundtracks in TV or film on the last word

Probably Jennifer Gannon saw those shows as "problematic" or as she proudly declares for breaking bad - never saw those shows (despite supposedly being a "serious" tv reviewer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,924 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Dannyman76 wrote: »

I was surprised Umbrella Academy missed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Since November I had turned my back on on today fm its now tunein radio and Spotify.so I said I would just see how things were on today fm yesterday.
    Oh what a mistake it hasn't changed is mairead gone hormonal or somthing what scutter she was on about god help shes working from home many are and not getting as well paid as home harping on about broadcasting from her hotpress on about her towels and this need then to keep banging the homeschooling drum.its not even for for purpose her show.
    Then to annoy myself further I waited on for gombean radio with feral wham bar D'Arcy hes bad and very bad so it was back to Spotify after 5 mins of him

sligono1 wrote: »
    Since November I had turned my back on on today fm its now tunein radio and Spotify.so I said I would just see how things were on today fm yesterday.
    Oh what a mistake it hasn't changed is mairead gone hormonal or somthing what scutter she was on about god help shes working from home many are and not getting as well paid as home harping on about broadcasting from her hotpress on about her towels and this need then to keep banging the homeschooling drum.its not even for for purpose her show.

Insightful comment.

https://twitter.com/EdTodayFM/status/1318596811209277440

Yeah, she's working from her attic last week and this cos her family have COVID, and she can't leave her home. Which is kinda the responsible thing to do. Did she express an emotion about that?

If you want stoic, stone-faced emotionless presenters maybe you should be listening to the BBC Shipping Forecast or Radio 4? Personally, I prefer a bit of humanity. And the occasional bit of broadcasting gold on the Let It Rip segment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Then to annoy myself further I waited on for gombean radio with feral wham bar D'Arcy hes bad and very bad so it was back to Spotify after 5 mins of him

You’ll be unfollowing this thread then so.

Seeya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Gombean radio- aka Fergal Darcy- brilliant description- I love it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Insightful comment.

https://twitter.com/EdTodayFM/status/1318596811209277440

Yeah, she's working from her attic last week and this cos her family have COVID, and she can't leave her home. Which is kinda the responsible thing to do. Did she express an emotion about that?

If you want stoic, stone-faced emotionless presenters maybe you should be listening to the BBC Shipping Forecast or Radio 4? Personally, I prefer a bit of humanity. And the occasional bit of broadcasting gold on the Let It Rip segment.

The poster criticism was of both Mairead and Fergal. I'm not sure why that warrants your response with the Ed Smith tweet?

The poster criticism was of both Mairead and Fergal. I'm not sure why that warrants your response with the Ed Smith tweet?

Three and a half lines on Mairéad, including "hormonal" jibes, versus less than a line on Fergal, which amounted to "He's bad."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭statto25

That's because TD loves to post that tweet in their battle against misogony. Mention a woman in the radio thread and they are sure to be along shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Mairead Ronan isn't shíte because she's a woman - she's shíte because she's shíte.

retalivity wrote: »
    Mairead Ronan isn't shíte because she's a woman - she's shíte because she's shíte.

Well, y'know what they say - opinions are like assholes...

I guess her being "****e" is why her JNLR figures increased by 12,000 last time out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I guess her being "****e" is why her JNLR figures increased by 12,000 last time out...

just on the jnlr figures i can never understand how they fluctuate so much. yes i know they take a random sample of 1,000 adults say and then translate it into the overall percentage but some of the increases/decreases every survey are mad...can they really loose that much listeners or gain that much if they survey so little people.

just on the jnlr figures i can never understand how they fluctuate so much. yes i know they take a random sample of 1,000 adults say and then translate it into the overall percentage but some of the increases/decreases every survey are mad...can they really loose that much listeners or gain that much if they survey so little people.

Agreed, the JNLRs are dark arts. I understand there was talk of them incorporating quantifiable data - streams, presumably from the likes of TuneIn and the like - but that got shot down? No idea why.

I've been phoned once, ever, by whichever company does the JNLR survey, and it was on the landline. I don't even know if our landline is still connected - the only person who used to phone it regularly was the mother in law, and she's dead several years. If they still don't phone people on mobile phones, their demographic is totally skewed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Roe McDermott who reviews the trending topics of the week on Today FM seems to find every opportunity to bash "white men" for some reason. Shoehorns the group into every story and blames them for well....just about everything. Seems a rather lazy, discriminatory and hateful analysis if you ask me but she is never called on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Ed Sheeran has billions of streams.

That's doesn't mean he isn't sh1te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

statto25 wrote: »
    That's because TD loves to post that tweet in their battle against misogony. Mention a woman in the radio thread and they are sure to be along shortly.

go through this thread , you'll see Ferg/D & D/Matt Cooper (and other stations - D'arcy/Tubbs etc) get slated, but that doesnt get the attention of some :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

go through this thread , you'll see Ferg/D & D/Matt Cooper (and other stations - D'arcy/Tubbs etc) get slated, but that doesnt get the attention of some :rolleyes:

i.e. The Woke Folk

Yeah, and if you check back you'll see I've criticised presenters, too.

The difference? I'd hope if I'm criticising someone it's on grounds a bit stronger than "They're bad" (which is literally the criticism labelled at Ferg D'arcy today) or sexist ****e - as in today's "was she hormonal?"

To quote someone better at words than me:
    "I was reading a book (about interjections, oddly enough) yesterday which included the phrase “In these days of political correctness…” talking about no longer making jokes that denigrated people for their culture or for the colour of their skin. And I thought, “That’s not actually anything to do with ‘political correctness’. That’s just treating other people with respect.”

Which made me oddly happy. I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase “politically correct” wherever we could with “treating other people with respect”, and it made me smile.

You should try it. It’s peculiarly enlightening.

I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking “Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!” ~ Neil Gaiman

You should give it a try, PhoneMain...

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

I've been phoned once, ever, by whichever company does the JNLR survey, and it was on the landline. I don't even know if our landline is still connected - the only person who used to phone it regularly was the mother in law, and she's dead several years. If they still don't phone people on mobile phones, their demographic is totally skewed.

JNLR surveys aren't done by phone. It's face to face, so they call to your door. You haven't been JNLR-ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Tork

eiresandra wrote: »
    JNLR surveys aren't done by phone. It's face to face, so they call to your door. You haven't been JNLR-ed.

I was JNLR-ed last year and it was by somebody who called to the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Three and a half lines on Mairéad, including "hormonal" jibes, versus less than a line on Fergal, which amounted to "He's bad."

You seem you seem to have a massive chip on your shoulder.if she was a man or transgender it doesn't matter its the quality of the show and basically I'm pointing critism at both shows they are poor no matter what the gender of the presenter.

Advertisement