Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Scarily accurate.

They've gotten months out of the Miley Cyrus/Ariana Grande/Little Mix shuffle. Every day! And throw in some Rihanna there to mix it up a little bit ��

Wait, I thought it was Dermot Kennedy/The Coronas/Kodaline we were supposed to complain about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

do you work for today fm as you've some chip on your shoulder if anyone says negative about today fm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

I'll start off by saying that I like todayfm, listen to it daily, and have done for years. Ian in the morning followed by Dermot and Dave.

But come 12 o clock and Mairead Ronan..... Christ on a bike, I haven't heard anyone moan so much about covid as her (even before she caught it).

Yes Mairead, it's a ****ty situation, we are all in it but the radio is ment for forgetting how **** things are at the moment, not for you to use it as a personal platform to moan for 2 hours!

do you work for today fm as you've some chip on your shoulder if anyone says negative about today fm

Yes.

I'm actually Mairéad Ronan, and Dermot, Dave, Nonie, and werid uncle Ferg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

davo2001 wrote: »
    I'll start off by saying that I like todayfm, listen to it daily, and have done for years. Ian in the morning followed by Dermot and Dave.

But come 12 o clock and Mairead Ronan..... Christ on a bike, I haven't heard anyone moan so much about covid as her (even before she caught it).

Yes Mairead, it's a ****ty situation, we are all in it but the radio is ment for forgetting how **** things are at the moment, not for you to use it as a personal platform to moan for 2 hours!

I agree she plays up to her listeners and they fall in line. It's annoying in my opinion

I turn off at 12 and have been since lockdown and listening to daytime radio as wfh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Did you know she is broadcasting from a hotpress? I don't know if she has mentioned it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Did you know she is broadcasting from a hotpress? I don't know if she has mentioned it before.

I'm sure her hotpress is much bigger than the regular persons so I dont have too much sympathy €€

Jese Today FM has fallen some way from the glory days or Darcy (before he was an opinionated arse), foley, fenton in the afternoon. 10 years ago now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭RINO87

Wait, I thought it was Dermot Kennedy/The Coronas/Kodaline we were supposed to complain about?

you forgot dance monkey....

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0225/1199240-bauer-media-audio-buys-communicorp/ Hopefully this leads to further investment, and not cost-cutting!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Shes terrible but maybe the new bosses may fly the axe at a few well sorry a good few I hope this take over will shake it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0225/1199240-bauer-media-audio-buys-communicorp/ Hopefully this leads to further investment, and not cost-cutting!

investment in marketing and sales
    cost cutting for shows, especially the weeknight and weekend presenters of all the stations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

investment in marketing and sales
    cost cutting for shows, especially the weeknight and weekend presenters of all the stations

And The Last Word might be able to drop their contributors and get some decent people on??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

BPKS wrote: »
    And The Last Word might be able to drop their contributors and get some decent people on??

IF The Last Word survives !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,777 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think its listenership figures should save it.

But I do hope they revamp it a bit and make it less trendy, its gone to pot. 5 at 5 and 6 at 6 is cringe. Why can't a newsreader just read the news without making it sound like its them and Matt down the pub having a chat?

Its also very repetitive.. Too much news, weather, sport....and it never changes over the space of the show.

The show is about 1hr good discussion padded out to 2.5hrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

That’s the end of Mairead for me anyways....Friday after noon at lunch time I really didn’t need that kinda information... I’m here for light hearted chat, bitta tv/movie news, some Craic and a few dance songs on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭giveitholly

That’s the end of Mairead for me anyways....Friday after noon at lunch time I really didn’t need that kinda information... I’m here for light hearted chat, bitta tv/movie news, some Craic and a few dance songs on Friday.

What is she discussing over a cup of tea in the hotpress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Waxing was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Tork

Do they have any choice but to keep The Last Word there? It's likely that to keep the BAI sweet, they have to keep a certain amount of news/current affairs in their schedule. Over the past decade or so, they've dropped a lot of their heavier content. They used to have a more substantial news bulletin around lunchtime and things like the Sunday Business Show and Sam Smyth's current affairs program at the weekends. I'd say the powers that be would drop The Last Word in a heartbeat because it surely has to be the most expensive show they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

No she decided to let everyone know she’s a extra winey today cuz she’s on her period. Thanks for that riveting piece of information Mairead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭statto25

No she decided to let everyone know she’s a extra winey today cuz she’s on her period. Thanks for that riveting piece of information Mairead

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭RINO87

Tork wrote: »
    Do they have any choice but to keep The Last Word there? It's likely that to keep the BAI sweet, they have to keep a certain amount of news/current affairs in their schedule. Over the past decade or so, they've dropped a lot of their heavier content. They used to have a more substantial news bulletin around lunchtime and things like the Sunday Business Show and Sam Smyth's current affairs program at the weekends. I'd say the powers that be would drop The Last Word in a heartbeat because it surely has to be the most expensive show they have.

I don't think Today FM have any Irish language programming either, whereas the locals, spin and classic hits seem to have to shoehorn it in somehow. Newstalk have "Splanc".

Damn, I now have the "chart oiffigúil na hÉireann" jingle spinning around my head!

RINO87 wrote: »
    I don't think Today FM have any Irish language programming either, whereas the locals, spin and classic hits seem to have to shoehorn it in somehow. Newstalk have "Splanc".

Damn, I now have the "chart oiffigúil na hÉireann" jingle spinning around my head!

I wondered about that! They used to have an Irish-language DJ on most bank holidays, but like, it's literally one programme.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think its listenership figures should save it.

But I do hope they revamp it a bit and make it less trendy, its gone to pot. 5 at 5 and 6 at 6 is cringe. Why can't a newsreader just read the news without making it sound like its them and Matt down the pub having a chat?

"And [some story like] Bitcoin has had a big investment?"

"Yes Matt... you senile ****e. It was the item you literally just talked to Adrian Wreckler about, immediately before starting the 5 at 5! Like, 30 seconds ago!"

It's a terrible format.

"And [some story like] Bitcoin has had a big investment?"

"Yes Matt... you senile ****e. It was the item you literally just talked to Adrian Wreckler about, immediately before starting the 5 at 5! Like, 30 seconds ago!"

It's a terrible format.

Sorry for whinging, Davester. I'm on my period. I'll get back to non-stop praise tomorrow. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Tork wrote: »

If they didn't have to you would imagine the new owners would axe it and give Matt the drivetime show on Newstalk and move Cuddihy to the lunchtime slot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭statto25

Sorry for whinging, Davester. I'm on my period. I'll get back to non-stop praise tomorrow. ;-)

Howya Mairead! Any craic in the hotpress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

pretty long one you sancitmonius prat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,200 ✭✭✭✭flazio

RINO87 wrote: »

Do they still do those "Believe it or not" inserts with Jessica De Búrca(?) I seem to recall that was how they kept the Irish language quota going.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

Dear Bauer, please bring Anton Savage back for mid mornings, move back Dermot and Dave and lose the content creation ****e!

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    Do they still do those "Believe it or not" inserts with Jessica De Búrca(?) I seem to recall that was how they kept the Irish language quota going.

Not heard one of those in ages. I think it may be her who does/was doing the Bank Holiday Irish-language bit, though.

Advertisement