Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

At least a bit of variation today with the noughties playlist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    At least a bit of variation today with the noughties playlist

They are giving Tiesto’s “The Business” the day off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

They are giving Tiesto’s “The Business” the day off

Indeed! That song seems to have replaced Dermot Kennedy's "Giants" on the repeat loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

Are you even Irish if you haven't heard a "are you even Irish" bit on the radio before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Dannyman76 wrote: »
    Are you even Irish if you haven't heard a "are you even Irish" bit on the radio before?

Cringe. Caught about 10 seconds of it this morning. Pathetic rubbish.

• Advertisement

Cringe. Caught about 10 seconds of it this morning. Pathetic rubbish.

Fergal D'Arcy throwing the plan for his show in the bin as we speak!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Indeed! That song seems to have replaced Dermot Kennedy's "Giants" on the repeat loop.

Or that song that tries to tell me you can't make a wife out of a garden utensil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭statto25

flazio wrote: »
    Or that song that tries to tell me you can't make a wife out of a garden utensil.

The which now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Had to Google it, "Without You" by The Kid Laroi. Technically the song title is in all caps but flup that.
    Today FM was the background station at work between 6.45 and 3pm and every programme on between those hours played that song.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Had to Google it, "Without You" by The Kid Laroi. Technically the song title is in all caps but flup that.
    Today FM was the background station at work between 6.45 and 3pm and every programme on between those hours played that song.

The worst part is that it is an utterly terrible, and I mean TERRIBLE, song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The worst part is that it is an utterly terrible, and I mean TERRIBLE, song.

It’s another one of those whining beardy man-with-a-guitar “tunes” that are so in vogue these days, particularly with Today FM.

Glass Animals are the flavour of the month too. Sick of it already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Anytime I tune into Today FM they seem to be playing a song by some one who sounds like Adele (might be Adele) about stalking her ex by driving alone past their house or up their street or something.

Just as well it was sung by a man as that wouldn't go down too well in the current environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Ah yes, the Chemical Wife song :pac: It's on all the time now and is really starting to get on my tits.
    BPKS wrote: »
    Anytime I tune into Today FM they seem to be playing a song by some one who sounds like Adele (might be Adele) about stalking her ex by driving alone past their house or up their street or something.

Olivia Rodrigo, and it's such an annoying song. It must really grate for the thousands of people who can't get a driving licence here right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

That fcuking Lets get down to business is on every show, drives me crazy, **** song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

I have given up on the music on TodayFM - rarely listen now during the day, except for Sunday nights from 7pm with Ed Smith. The station's music choices are woeful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Even Stairway to Heaven or Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt becomes a **** song when it's played literally every single show. I had tickets for Dermot Kennedy in St Anne's but I've heard 'Giants' soooo f'n often over the lockdown I think I'll pass it's rescheduled and spend the ticket money on five gigs in The Academy or Whelan's instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Even Stairway to Heaven or Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt becomes a **** song when it's played literally every single show. I had tickets for Dermot Kennedy in St Anne's but I've heard 'Giants' soooo f'n often over the lockdown I think I'll pass it's rescheduled and spend the ticket money on five gigs in The Academy or Whelan's instead.

Wait until you hear Joe Duffy sing it....yes, that happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Once again, Omi's Cheerleader was on this morning. Why oh why are they still playing that crap song? I've noticed in the last year that there's a certain set of older songs that get played daily on the station. There's that one, Daft Punk/Pherell - Get Lucky, Example - Kickstart (awful song), that bloody Sweedish House Maffia song (can't remember the name), and a few others that are on inexplicably often. Are these songs cheap or free to play or what? There's no reason to pick the same ones over and over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Once again, Omi's Cheerleader was on this morning. Why oh why are they still playing that crap song? I've noticed in the last year that there's a certain set of older songs that get played daily on the station. There's that one, Daft Punk/Pherell - Get Lucky, Example - Kickstart (awful song), that bloody Sweedish House Maffia song (can't remember the name), and a few others that are on inexplicably often. Are these songs cheap or free to play or what? There's no reason to pick the same ones over and over.

Probably easier to copy and paste bits of playlist from differents show on the station to create a new music for another show.

That's Step 1 in being a Content Creator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Stuck listening to the two "comedians" in an outpatients waiting room for the last 30 mins.the fake laughter and banter is awful..should have brought my earphones and tuned out to rte gold my usual choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

This morning was the first time in a year that I tuned into Today FM. We always had in on in the background at work but since WFH I never bothered with it. I had to drive this morning to an appointment at 9 and the first song I heard on the D and D show was Gavin James - Always! Seriously..... it was like Groundhog Day. Listening to D and D too was pretty uninspiring- still going on with that “ Irish” rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭statto25

johnire wrote: »
    This morning was the first time in a year that I tuned into Today FM. We always had in on in the background at work but since WFH I never bothered with it. I had to drive this morning to an appointment at 9 and the first song I heard on the D and D show was Gavin James - Always! Seriously..... it was like Groundhog Day. Listening to D and D too was pretty uninspiring- still going on with that “ Irish” rubbish.

Nothing is going to change as the station still has decent figures. The only way is to change dial and save your sanity

Probably easier to copy and paste bits of playlist from differents show on the station to create a new music for another show.

Notice how if one DJ plays a rarely played old song it gets played in every other show after that

Katy Perry - Firework and Outkast - Hey Ya will also be played without fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I just flicked over to Today fm after Moncrief finished and that Swedish House Mafia song has just finished!!

Stuck listening to the two "comedians" in an outpatients waiting room for the last 30 mins.the fake laughter and banter is awful..should have brought my earphones and tuned out to rte gold my usual choice.

Good to see outpatients is catering for the majority of people's listening tastes, and some light-hearted banter from professional comedians is probably just what you need in such a situation:

"In mid-morning (9am-12pm), Dermot & Dave are celebrating a record audience high of 183,000, (+20,000 BoB) making them the most listened to show in that time slot on commercial radio." ~ from last November's JNLR's.

So they're doing something right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

That’s not how it works. Songs are Categorised into folders. The playlist software then chooses songs from each folder randomly and within the restrictions on that folder say For example

High rotation (top 10). songs not to be repeated for 2-3 hours
    Medium rotation (recent hits). songs not to be repeated in a day
    Irish. Songs not to be repeated in say 6 hours

The playlist is then built in folder format on the advise of well paid external music research company’s normally and an example of this would be

News
    High rotation
    Add
    High rotation
    Medium rotation
    Add
    High rotation
    Irish
    High rotation
    Add
    News

This is obviously a very very basic example and things like links, features, competitions all need to be factored in. Add in slots then for music to tie into cheese and crackers and the “text in too choose” features, but I think you get the jist. As new songs hit the charts and “scores well” with music research company’s they get added into the high rotation folder. As songs fall in the charts they move into the medium rotation and so on. Again this is very basic but the majority of music radio from 6am - 6pm is done is this fashion to ensure the stations “sound” is kept to.

Very few Radio Presenters during those hours actually get to choose what they put out on the air but part of the “magic of radio” is leading people to believe they do.

That’s not how it works. Songs are Categorised into folders. The playlist software then chooses songs from each folder randomly and within the restrictions on that folder say For example

High rotation (top 10). songs not to be repeated for 2-3 hours
    Medium rotation (recent hits). songs not to be repeated in a day
    Irish. Songs not to be repeated in say 6 hours

I absolutely get the requirement for a radio station that's trying to appeal to X demographic to have to play a certain proportion of 'hot' songs, a lesser proportion of medium rotation, etc. Despite some views here, that "sh1te" song is really popular for a reason - and therefore has to be played.

It would be nice, though, if they'd adjust the algorithms somewhat. Did people listen to the radio as much, pre-lockdown? I'm gonna guess probably not? WFH, it's not uncommon to hear some of the same songs repeated on every show during the day (examples in the last two pages) - or, at least, it seems that way.

I could stand to hear "Giants" or "The Business" or "Driver's Licence" once a day. Hearing them on D&D then on Mairéad Ronan, then on Fergal d'Arcy too... not so much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Good to see outpatients is catering for the majority of people's listening tastes, and some light-hearted banter from professional comedians is probably just what you need in such a situation:

"In mid-morning (9am-12pm), Dermot & Dave are celebrating a record audience high of 183,000, (+20,000 BoB) making them the most listened to show in that time slot on commercial radio." ~ from last November's JNLR's.

So they're doing something right?

Each to their own as they say but not for me probably a minority.but if you call that banter I call it mind numbing.. having got used to will and Rick on rte gold I know what I prefer..

Advertisement