Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Tork

An Irish music show is a ratings killer anyway, so putting it into that graveyard slot won't make much difference. It's clearly some sort of box-ticking exercise so they can satisfy the BAI. It's no different to The Last Word which they'd scrap in a heartbeat if they could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Tork wrote: »
    An Irish music show is a ratings killer anyway, so putting it into that graveyard slot won't make much difference. It's clearly some sort of box-ticking exercise so they can satisfy the BAI. It's no different to The Last Word which they'd scrap in a heartbeat if they could.

Why would they scrap one of their most popular shows?!

Dannyman76 wrote: »
    An odd time to have it on but he's only replacing robodj at that hour

https://twitter.com/TodayFM/status/1378434880430821376

It's only on for an hour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

It's like the Dublin stations such as 98FM putting an hour of Irish music on at 3am!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Tork wrote: »
    Personally, I think Irish music is more deserving of airplay/support than its British and American counterparts, but each to their own.

Quite frankly, I'm tired of the same British/American artists being played every hour on the radio. I'm especially sick of Drake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

We need Wim Hof to join Dermot and Dave every week :pac:

pjohnson wrote: »
    We need Wim Hof to join Dermot and Dave every week :pac:

Who knew that a side-effect of immersing yourself in the cold was that you lose the ability to speak AND INSTEAD JUST SHOUT ALL THE TIME! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Personally, I think Irish music is more deserving of airplay/support than its British and American counterparts, but each to their own.

Quite frankly, I'm tired of the same British/American artists being played every hour on the radio. I'm especially sick of Drake

Once they take Dermot Kennedy & Gavin James off the hourly loop, cos that is the only Irish music they play mainly:rolleyes:

Who knew that a side-effect of immersing yourself in the cold was that you lose the ability to speak AND INSTEAD JUST SHOUT ALL THE TIME! :D:D

Poor feckers eardrums probably frozen solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭siblers

That new Fergal D'Arcy show is the exact same generic ****e he plays during the week

I wonder does he get paid more for doing an extra show

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    That new Fergal D'Arcy show is the exact same generic ****e he plays during the week

Is it not all Irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Was it live or voice tracked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Was it live or voice tracked?

I only caught the end. Didn't sound live. Also he was covering for a slot this afternoon live so really doubt unless he lives and sleeps at the station.

It's a box ticking exercise for the station so they're doing this with the least possible effort. The only surprise here would be if it was being presented live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Is it not all Irish?

Not from what I heard, unless the first hour is

Sounded pre recorded, don't think there were any texts or emails read out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭statto25

It's only an hour from 8 to 9 I thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

statto25 wrote: »
    It's only an hour from 8 to 9 I thought?

He was on from 12-4, covering for someone. I was driving all afternoon, every time I flicked back to Today FM he was there.

So you're talking about the afternoon show he was covering for, then? Yep, that'd be whatever the algorithm is picking, then. The Sunday morning one is supposed to be just Irish music, but it's only a) an hour, and b) bloody early, so I've not heard it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Really enjoyed Eds Songs of Praise tribute to Kurt Cobain last night.

I think I'll be listening back to that show many a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Jennifer Gannon on The Last Word just now said that the return of Love Island is the best news she’s had all year and she’d be happy to stay in Lockdown as long as she has Love Island.

Also, in #woke news, Love Island is now going to accept applications from gay, bi, transgender, gender fluid people and everyone and everything in between. Totes amazeballs.

• Advertisement

Jennifer Gannon on The Last Word just now said that the return of Love Island is the best news she’s had all year and she’d be happy to stay in Lockdown as long as she has Love Island.

Also, in #woke news, Love Island is now going to accept applications from gay, bi, transgender, gender fluid people and everyone and everything in between. Totes amazeballs.
    Yeah I wouldn't have thought Love Islands target audience was anything other than straight horned up teens/middle aged women.

I almost choked on my dinner when Jennifer Gannon said Love Island had moved from being a tacky show to a cultural phenomenon. When did this happen? I'm not sure which is funnier. Her delusions about Love Island or how seriously she takes herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

Haven't listened to The Last Word in about a decade so I don't know know anything about Jennifer Gannon but from the description here she reminds me of certain Americans on twitter who worship tacky corporate entertainment, particularly stuff aimed at children while dismissing everything else as racist or sexist. They use "woke" language but are just shills. I doubt if Gannon is a shill but she's probably just copying them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

irs wrote: »
    Haven't listened to The Last Word in about a decade so I don't know know anything about Jennifer Gannon but from the description here she reminds me of certain Americans on twitter who worship tacky corporate entertainment, particularly stuff aimed at children while dismissing everything else as racist or sexist. They use "woke" language but are just shills. I doubt if Gannon is a shill but she's probably just copying them.

This is Jennifer Gannon the tv critic who has never seen The Sopranos, The Wire, or Breaking Bad.

And who said Toy Story 4 is racist.

I’m not making those up btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

This is Jennifer Gannon the tv critic who has never seen The Sopranos, The Wire, or Breaking Bad.

3 of the greatest tv series of all time and she hasn’t seen them? Yet she is falling over Love Island? Makes sense... like an ashtray on a motor bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭statto25

I had to google the Toy Story thing.....stop the world....im getting off immediately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Its sad Matt Cooper doesn't call her out / challenge her on her nonsense, once a great interviewer and didn't give interviewees a free ride now reduced to this....did Trump ruin him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Saorsat

Why would they scrap one of their most popular shows?!

The same reason they scrapped the Anton Savage show, (which had 30k more listeners than the last word) it's very expensive to produce, advertising revenue for traditional media is in rapid decline. Not to mention that If the last word was scrapped it would allow Newstalk take on RTE Radio 1 head to head instead of splitting the listenership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Saorsat wrote: »
    The same reason they scrapped the Anton Savage show, (which had 30k more listeners than the last word) it's very expensive to produce, advertising revenue for traditional media is in rapid decline. Not to mention that If the last word was scrapped it would allow Newstalk take on RTE Radio 1 head to head instead of splitting the listenership.

Ya, it'll be hard to see the new owners keeping 2 drive time tallshows on at the same time. Could see matt shifted to newstalk, and a music slot taken the 4.30-7 slot on Today FM

• Advertisement

I don't think they can shift The Last Word. The station is still subject to the criteria laid down by the BAI.

Advertisement