Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Saorsat

Tork wrote: »
    I don't think they can shift The Last Word. The station is still subject to the criteria laid down by the BAI.

I'd say if the new owners really want rid of it, the Bai will agree, All other talk shows have gone quietly in recent years, they had a 20 minute daily lunchtime news and 3 hours of current affairs/Business on a Sunday morning until about 3 years ago.

One time the Broadcasting commission was monitoring the Today FM breakfast show insisting that it must have 50% speech content, seems really silly now doesn't it ? https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/irtc-set-to-review-today-fm-coverage-1.126063%3fmode=amp

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Bauer would not have bought Communicorp unless they believe they can drive deregulation like they've done in the UK. Ireland's current model of radio programming regulation is beyond broken and belongs 20 years in the past.

The Last Word should be one of the first to go from a commercial point of view. Little point in having two high profile current affairs shows up against one another with two presenters and two production teams covering the same stories, with the same guests at the same time. Lets not forget that RTE Radio 1 is there too at this time.

RTE Radio 1, RTE 2FM, Today FM and Newstalk all carry speech content from 6-7pm weekdays. Two of these are supposed to be music stations. Could you imagine if BBC Radio 1 and Heart were carrying sports content from 6-7pm weekdays. Makes no sense at all

Bauer could do well with Today FM if they make it like Heart or their own Hits Radio network in the UK. Clear hit music station with high profile presenters, high profile guests, tight playlisting, clear brand identity, listener interaction etc. Having music and light entertainment all day until there's a current affairs show plonked in the middle of it in the evening makes absolutely no sense.

For many radio stations to survive in this country, networking and deregulation are the minimum requirement. Look at several ILRs around the country with no shows from 7pm-7am, presenters reading the news etc.

(btw that's not an attack on The Last Word. I listen daily, and I listen to The Hard Shoulder too. It's wonderful we have the choice but from a commercial point of view it's a different story).

marno21 wrote: »
    Bauer would not have bought Communicorp unless they believe they can drive deregulation like they've done in the UK. Ireland's current model of radio programming regulation is beyond broken and belongs 20 years in the past.

The Last Word should be one of the first to go from a commercial point of view. Little point in having two high profile current affairs shows up against one another with two presenters and two production teams covering the same stories, with the same guests at the same time. Lets not forget that RTE Radio 1 is there too at this time.

RTE Radio 1, RTE 2FM, Today FM and Newstalk all carry speech content from 6-7pm weekdays. Two of these are supposed to be music stations. Could you imagine if BBC Radio 1 and Heart were carrying sports content from 6-7pm weekdays. Makes no sense at all

Bauer could do well with Today FM if they make it like Heart or their own Hits Radio network in the UK. Clear hit music station with high profile presenters, high profile guests, tight playlisting, clear brand identity, listener interaction etc. Having music and light entertainment all day until there's a current affairs show plonked in the middle of it in the evening makes absolutely no sense.

For many radio stations to survive in this country, networking and deregulation are the minimum requirement. Look at several ILRs around the country with no shows from 7pm-7am, presenters reading the news etc.

(btw that's not an attack on The Last Word. I listen daily, and I listen to The Hard Shoulder too. It's wonderful we have the choice but from a commercial point of view it's a different story).

Do you think Bauer should change Today FM's name? I think the name sounds quite dated now and for most people the brand will always be associated with peake early-mid 00s era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Tork

Why does this person (latest ID Saorsat) keep opening new accounts and closing them about 5 minutes later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭statto25

Why does this person (latest ID Saorsat) keep opening new accounts and closing them about 5 minutes later?

They may have been naughty in a previous life and returned under a new guise only to be detected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

3 of the greatest tv series of all time and she hasn’t seen them? Yet she is falling over Love Island? Makes sense... like an ashtray on a motor bike!

Yup. She boasts about it. She said they were overly “male”. She’d be very #woke :rolleyes: and basically like a lot of wokefolk all white men (esp. those over 40) are responsible for all the evil in the world.

How you can claim to be a tv critic if you refuse to watch arguably 3 of best 5 shows ever made is beyond me, but hey, Love Island is totes amazeballs apparently.

I think they keep bringing her on for comic relief and because she annoys people. There's no way she's a proper TV critic in any sense of the word. She has just stumbled across a way of vomiting her woke drivel on air by pretending to know about TV. If you look at her Twitter, you'll see that she isn't slow to drool at male celebs she fancies. Or to talk about how fanciable the (male) Swedish football team is. https://youtu.be/pdD3psJwtIk?t=35 If a man said the same things about the Swedish ladies football team she'd have lots to say about it. Writing a TV column in one of those low-rent weekly lifestyle mags you see in hairdressing salons is her level.

Does anybody know which guest this was? BAI uphold complaint against Today FM over guest’s claim JK Rowling is ‘transphobic’
    The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) upheld a complaint against The Last Word with Matt Cooper on Today FM over a segment in which author JK Rowling was accused of being ‘transphobic’.

In a judgment issued today, the authority found the broadcast was not fair.

A complainant alleged a contributor on the show, which aired on Friday September 18, 2020, said Ms Rowling was “transphobic, without providing any evidence to back this up.”

He claimed this statement was not challenged by the presenter or any of the other panellist during the weekly round-up of the week’s stories.

He said this was a “very serious accusation” and claimed the segment lacked balance, impartiality or objectivity.
    It said while the content of the panel discussion was light-hearted in nature, it believed it was about a current affairs topic and believed the presenter plays a “critical role” in challenging the views of guests and contributors in the public interest.

It said the presenter did not do this or facilitate the exploration of alternative viewpoints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

It was Roe McDermott, quelle surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,777 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There's no way she's a proper TV critic in any sense of the word. She has just stumbled across a way of vomiting her woke drivel on air by pretending to know about TV

She's obviously not a proper tv critic i.e. not someone who has been doing it for a living for a long time.

If she was a t.v. critic for say 15 years or more, she would have seen the 3 very high profile shows she claims never to have seen. As it would have been a requirement practically.

She is obviously someone who has latched on to it in recent times, as something to add an extra string to her cv. Allows her to get more invites on to radio shows.

But probably the worst part is the fact that MC wouldn't actually say to her, "what sort of tv critic has never seen The Wire, The Sopranos, or Breaking Bad". She should never have been invited back on after admitting this. Then again, maybe she is employed by INM?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

Ya, it'll be hard to see the new owners keeping 2 drive time tallshows on at the same time. Could see matt shifted to newstalk, and a music slot taken the 4.30-7 slot on Today FM

They love an oul gimmicky name. They could call it 'More of the same' to tie in with the same 5 or 10 songs they play on every show ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

retalivity wrote: »
    It was Roe McDermott, quelle surprise.

How come she hasn't been on TLW or written for the Times weekend magazine recently?

some posts deleted and inevitable infractions have been handed out.

If anyone wants to get the forum shut down, keep going

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058167061

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭maniac2003

Is Anna Geary gone from pumped up kicks? Can't recall here been on in a long time.

maniac2003 wrote: »
    Is Anna Geary gone from pumped up kicks? Can't recall here been on in a long time.

Yes. About 6 months now. Dec Pierce and the sports guy Phil Egan I think do the show now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

BPKS wrote: »
    Yes. About 6 months now. Dec Pierce and the sports guy Phil Egan I think do the show now.

She’s changed career again? Christ she hops from one venture to another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,777 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

She was probably busy with the fittest family tv thing.

NIMAN wrote: »
    She was probably busy with the fittest family tv thing.

Yeah because she was totally unaware that was coming up....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

It's not Phil Egan. It's Will O'donoghue or whatever his name is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Anna disappeared down the Today FM drainpipe without any explanation or goodbye I think. I always wondered what she did wrong!

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Anna disappeared down the Today FM drainpipe without any explanation or goodbye I think. I always wondered what she did wrong!

I figured she would be a perfect fit for Off the Ball regardless of how good she was at the job as a) she is female and b) she is a former sportsperson.

I figured she would be a perfect fit for Off the Ball regardless of how good she was at the job as a) she is female and b) she is a former sportsperson.

Jesus Christ no!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

ILikeBoats wrote: »

maybe she was not good

maybe she was not good

Hardly a criteria considering some of the on-air “talent” at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭giveitholly

maybe she was not good

Can't be the reason because Mairead Farrell is still there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Mairead and her shows is really poor. It has fallen down the lowest common denominator route.

“I had a Spicebag last night. Aren’t they the best ever?!!!!! Such an Irish thing. Txt in if you’ve had a Spicebag”.

She was a massive part of what made the D’Arcy show one of best shows on radio. But now she’s leading Mammy FM. Does less than nothing for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Mairead and her shows is really poor. It has fallen down the lowest common denominator route.

“I had a Spicebag last night. Aren’t they the best ever?!!!!! Such an Irish thing. Txt in if you’ve had a Spicebag”.

She was a massive part of what made the D’Arcy one of best shows on radio. But now she’s leading Mammy FM. Does less than nothing for me.

I heard some clip of her show the other day and it was just her trying to read something while roaring laughing at something stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭giveitholly

ShagNastii wrote: »

She was a massive part of what made the D’Arcy one of best shows on radio. But now she’s leading Mammy FM. Does less than nothing for me.

And everything is with a cup of tea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I heard some clip of her show the other day and it was just her trying to read something while roaring laughing at something stupid

Fake laughing

Advertisement