Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I nearly fell off my chair when Jennifer Gannon said she liked Alan Partridge. I would have thought she would disapprove of both Partridge and the real-life “antics” of one Steve Coogan.

Also, I really wish Jennifer Gannon could pronounce the “g” in any word ending in “ing”.

Now she’s having a go at Elon Musk and Saturday Night Live and of course bringing LGBTQ and Queer issues into it. Ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I nearly fell off my chair when Jennifer Gannon said she liked Alan Partridge. I would have thought she would disapprove of both Partridge and the real-life “antics” of one Steve Coogan.

Also, I really wish Jennifer Gannon could pronounce the “g” in any word ending in “ing”.

Now she’s having a go at Elon Musk and Saturday Night Live and of course bringing LGBTQ and Queer issues into it. Ffs.

I was in the car for 10 mins, probably the first time ive heard TLW in a month, and all I heard was that vacuous twat soapboxing with no response from Matt or the other guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Having a go at someone's perceived speech impediment now? It wasn't you who was having a go at Ed Smith for the same thing last week, was it?

https://twitter.com/EdTodayFM/status/1385365899633471491

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭statto25

Having a go at someone's perceived speech impediment now? It wasn't you who was having a go at Ed Smith for the same thing last week, was it?

Speech impediment me hole

statto25 wrote: »
    Speech impediment me hole

Slagging someone for their accent is just as bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Yes.

The Healy Rae brothers should start suing everybody in the country who has slagged their accents claiming they have PTSD cos of it.

What on earth are you talking about? Speech impediment? I wouldn’t ever slag anyone over a speech impediment. Not pronouncing a letter is not a speech impediment, and no that wasn’t me on Twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

It's not slagging her accent ffs, it's her inability to talk with the slightest hint of diction. She's working in the media FFS. Its the first rule of public speaking, have correct diction. Her unwillingness to pronounce words correctly melts my head as well.....and before you start, I'd feel the same if she was a fella as well.

I actually dont listen to the TV preview anymore when she's on it.

Some time over the last few years I commented on how Matt Cooper pronounces the "TH" in theatre; phonetically he says it as "THEE-Ayyy-turr". Was that slagging him over having a speech impediment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Sahurday

• Advertisement

It's not even her accent. No matter what accent you have proper pronunciation is taught to you from an early age. She has decided to drop the g, nothing to do with her accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Her voice is nails down a chalkboard. It makes my ears bleed. The “in” for every word that ends in “ing” is only the tip of the iceberg. She has the most irritating voice on Irish radio today by a country mile imo. And that’s before we even get into the guff she comes out with. Absolutely unbearable, instant channel changer.

Ed Smith on the other hand... I could listen to him read the phone book. One of the best voices on Irish radio with a warm and engaging manner to match. I heard his mild rant last week and tbh I never noticed his “tic” until he discussed it himself. The contrast between Ed and Jen Gannon could not be more stark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭siblers

What tic does he have? I never noticed it, I'd listen to him read a phone book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

siblers wrote: »
    What tic does he have? I never noticed it, I'd listen to him read a phone book

A listener texted in and asked him why he insists on saying "A" or "Ah" at the start of every sentence. I'd never noticed it either... He went on to tell that he suffered with a bad stammer as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

Really disappointing to hear a piece on what'll happen to Irish cinemas and get no useful information. Might as well have Krusty the clown doing interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

Cutting edge stuff on Mairead Ronans show today

"How often do you change your jocks?

More after Little Mix!"

Cutting edge stuff on Mairead Ronans show today

"How often do you change your jocks?

More after Little Mix!"

That’s pretty high-brow stuff by that show’s standards.

statto25 wrote: »
    It's not even her accent. No matter what accent you have proper annunciation is taught to you from an early age. She has decided to drop the g, nothing to do with her accent.

Oh, that time she had a virgin birth - good times, good times!

JoeA3 wrote: »
    A listener texted in and asked him why he insists on saying "A" or "Ah" at the start of every sentence. I'd never noticed it either... He went on to tell that he suffered with a bad stammer as a child.

Yeah, I'd never noticed it before, and listened out for it since and still can't hear it. Yer man complaining obviously has way too much time on his hands.

Some time over the last few years I commented on how Matt Cooper pronounces the "TH" in theatre; phonetically he says it as "THEE-Ayyy-turr". Was that slagging him over having a speech impediment?

No, that was pointing out a difference between accents. He has a few words like that - he's one of the very few people I know that when discussing NPHET will talk about "enn-fet" rather than "neff-et."

• Advertisement

Oh, that time she had a virgin birth - good times, good times!

I have my annunciation and pronunciations all a fluster!

No, that was pointing out a difference between accents. He has a few words like that - he's one of the very few people I know that when discussing NPHET will talk about "enn-fet" rather than "neff-et."

Right, so let me get this straight: Matt Cooper pronouncing something differently than most would is accent-related; but Jennifer Gannon failing to pronounce her “g”s in words ending in “ing” is a speech impediment?

Are you a qualified speech and language therapist or is this just your opinion?

I’m asking seriously here.

Right, so let me get this straight: Matt Cooper pronouncing something differently than most would is accent-related; but Jennifer Gannon failing to pronounce her “g”s in words ending in “ing” is a speech impediment?

Are you a qualified speech and language therapist or is this just your opinion?

I’m asking seriously here.

Well, as I later said:

Though maybe Today FM's "how to be a radio presenter" course should have some classes on "Why we only use received pronunciation"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Today fm “giving away 10k” on Friday, at €2.50 per entry fee I’d say that be a nice little earner, advertising it all week across all “shows”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

vicwatson wrote: »
    Today fm “giving away 10k” on Friday, at €2.50 per entry fee I’d say that be a nice little earner, advertising it all week across all “shows”

4000 tx breaks even. Would have got that by Monday.
    They make a fortune on that prize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

vicwatson wrote: »

I absolutely hate those "competitions" like tell it like it is, its a crowd funding lotto. And I'm sure they will get more than 4,000 entries. I would also say there are plenty who don't hear the cost, as they do about 30 seconds or so of talking before announcing the "cost" - I'd imagine some quick off the mark, have already texted before hearing the cost! Ah it grates on me - false advertising & certainly not a competition in the true sense of the word!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

4000 tx breaks even. Would have got that by Monday.
    They make a fortune on that prize.

I don’t know about that. I think a lot of people can be a bit resistant and know the chances of winning are so slim that it’s not really worth it. But then, lots of UK stations successfully run them so they must be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I don’t know about that. I think a lot of people can be a bit resistant and know the chances of winning are so slim that it’s not really worth it. But then, lots of UK stations successfully run them so they must be worth it.

It was (is?) one of RTE's main revenue streams - text/call competitions on the LLS, Live Football/Rugby/Gaa, any other chat show or event filmed live.
    "Don't forget to get the billpayer's permission before entering..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

retalivity wrote: »
    It was (is?) one of RTE's main revenue streams - text/call competitions on the LLS, Live Football/Rugby/Gaa, any other chat show or event filmed live.
    "Don't forget to get the billpayer's permission before entering..."
    Still very much is.
    There was a Late Late Show pre covid, that had to cancel a lot of guests and the studio audience because of a status red weather warning. Still went ahead with the show because they needed the text competition revenue.

• Advertisement

https://www.instagram.com/p/COifIvqqJF4/

This is not a drill folks......Dont say you havent been warned

Advertisement