Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Graham and Nathan from Spin's Fully Charged were presenting on Today FM yesterday in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

iseegirls wrote: »
    Graham and Nathan from Spin's Fully Charged were presenting on Today FM yesterday in the afternoon.

I endured a few minutes of that unfortunately. Man Child A and B. Painful to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭statto25

I endured a few minutes of that unfortunately. Man Child A and B. Painful to listen to.

Its called content Brock....get with the picture like :cool: #bants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I listened for 4-5 minutes while driving and that was enough. What was the reason for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I listened for 4-5 minutes while driving and that was enough. What was the reason for that?
    Couldn't get any regulars to cover Bank Holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

flazio wrote: »
    Couldn't get any regulars to cover Bank Holiday.

That's the danger of being in the same media group...young presenters from Spin and 98FM deputising and becoming a regular fixtures on Today FM schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Yeah, was not impressed. "Content creation" not too far removed from "Phone in and tell us your favourite colour!" I literally can't remember what their talking points were, just 24 hours later.

I heard them talking about giving someone money if they bought you a winning scratch card, said to the wife that today fm have gone like 2fm with their "young, hip, spin djs". I'm not from Dublin so didn't know who they were. Hopefully it's not a common thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I thought it was Dermot and Dave with headcolds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I quite liked them. I thought they were entertaining. I liked the links about the scratch cards.

It was (I’m guessing) only their first time on the station, so I’d imagine there was some nerves in there and they had to get used to the different station style as well. Just things to keep in mind, but I guess it’s not Boards if people aren’t complaining about something :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I quite liked them. I thought they were entertaining. I liked the links about the scratch cards.

It was (I’m guessing) only their first time on the station, so I’d imagine there was some nerves in there and they had to get used to the different station style as well. Just things to keep in mind, but I guess it’s not Boards I’d people aren’t complaining about something :rolleyes:

I'm old, djs like that do nothing for me. I don't get the forced "banter". I know they have a target market and I can appreciate that but I don't think it's the today fm audience.

I'm old, djs like that do nothing for me. I don't get the forced "banter". I know they have a target market and I can appreciate that but I don't think it's the today fm audience.

Youre no longer the target audience for TodayFM I'm afraid. I wouldn't class myself as old but I'm certainly not of the TikTok generation of which TodayFM is now mostly focused towards

I guess it’s not Boards if people aren’t complaining about something :rolleyes:

Boards is discussion forum so opinions or "complaints" are going to differ

Jesus that stand in for Mairead is absolutely painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Jesus that stand in for Mairead is absolutely painful.

On the flip side, Claire Beck is a great replacement for Ed Smith

Pamela Joyce has a new show Sunday to Thursday 7 to 10 with Ed moving 10-12am

No more songs of praise on a Sunday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

What?! They had to do it didn't they, FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

statto25 wrote: »
    Pamela Joyce has a new show Sunday to Thursday 7 to 10 with Ed moving 10-12am

No more songs of praise on a Sunday night

No more ESOP :eek::eek:
    Why do TodayFM do things like this, that show was just perfect for the Sunday Night blues - they shot themselves in the foot (according to me) when they cut Friday Night 80's from Friday nights (cos it was my type of radio) but I did hear that they used to get texts around 6.30pm on a Friday with requests for Friday night 80's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Sounds like Paul McLoone and Clare Beck have been shafted, too. FFS - three of the four best DJs on the station gone or with reduced hours, and after they got rid of Kelly-Anne Byrne, too. That's ruined my day :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

What are they doing.
    Ridiculous.
    I'm really annoyed!

Unless Ed requested it?! Hardly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'm so disappointed for Ed on that decision. If anything the guy deserved a more prime slot but they appear to have shafted him into the graveyard slot. The only show on the station worth tuning into and they've gone and replaced him with one of their Pamelas (I still can't tell the difference between any of the identikit female robo-jocks they have).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Are there any links to the new schedule or its announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭deise man

Looking on twitter the decision has gone down like lead balloon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

It's from this Sunday too, not even a goodbye ESOP :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭siblers

That's a joke. Today FM really is gone to the dogs

The station needs to decide what it wants to be now. Moving Ed to the graveyard only leaves Matt Cooper as a fly in the content creator ointment. From this thread it's obvious that there is a market for a station like TodayFM used to be. Talk, topics, chat and music with a mix of latest and older "classics"

The new owners,Bauer, acting fast with their changes! Now its just another bland chart hits station!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Today FM has replaced Anton Savage with Mairead Farrell and Paul McLoone with Pamlea Joyce in recent years.

That just sums up where the station is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Paul McLoone goes back a long way with the station.

Paul started with Today FM in 1999 as a producer of the Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show. According to Wikipedia, with Mario Rosenstock he co-created and co-write Gift Grub. He sometimes took part in it as well. I don't think Paul gets a lot of credit for his past contributions to Gift Grub.

I did not know Paul left Today FM in 2004. He did some freelance work and producing programs for tv, including RTE, and radio (Radio 1 and 2FM).

Paul came back to Today FM in late 2005/early 2006 as producer of Tom Dunne's weekday show at 7pm called Pet Sounds, following a request by the latter. When Tom moved to Newstalk in August 2008, Paul took over as presenter. This became The Paul McLoone Show in September 2008. It was moved to a 9 to midnight slot in June 2012. A few years ago it was trimmed to start at 10pm. This is the slot that Ed Smith is now getting.

Incidentally, Paul also hosted a radio programme titled Another Side on TXFM (formerly Phantom FM), which aired from 17 January 2015 to 2 July 2016.

• Advertisement

zorro2566 wrote: »
    The new owners,Bauer, acting fast with their changes! Now its just another bland chart hits station!

As soon as I saw their portfolio I had a feeling they would move Today FM in that direction

I'd say Ian is next. He doesn't fit the "content creator" genre.

Advertisement