Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Pure speculation here: a new weekday breakfast show launched in autumn with Ian Dempsey moved to an early morning breakfast show slot on weekends?

hate to say it but, Want to bet they'll swap Alison Curtis with Iano...would kill the station, a niche limited presenter in place of a popular well known one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'd be very surprised if they got rid of Ian Dempsey, the fact he's on the new ad implies he's safe for the next while at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭nc6000

hate to say it but, Want to bet they'll swap Alison Curtis with Iano...would kill the station, a niche limited presenter in place of a popular well known one

Ah come off it, it would hardly kill the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

How are the ratings for the shows? Is there any justification for firing Paul Mcloone and moving Ed whilst keeping Mairead and Fergal where they are? Are D&D doing better or worse since moving to mid mornings?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Butson

Strange move. Ed was the last thing I tuned into TDFM for.
    Just another safe, generic presenter in. Why would you listen to any of that when for a small monthly fee you can listen to Spotify etc all day long.
    I love the company of live radio, speech in particular, but this is just generic ****e, waffle talk, same music and full of ads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Jesus that stand in for Mairead is absolutely painful.

And I thought she was a breath of fresh air!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Paula coming back from Maternity meant there had to be a change. One of O'Reilly/Maciel/Blake were going to be getting a late slot.

Damn shame its Ed. At least Dec remains :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Isn’t it Suzanne Kane that’s filling in for mairead this week ? I don’t mind her actually and she seems sound from listening to her podcast.

I don’t have an issue with mairead Farrell actually and the issues around the 12-2pm(2:30pm) time slot go back way before she came into the gig. They've never replaced ray foley in that time slot and they seem have be trying and failing to figure it out since he left for 98fm at the time.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Isn’t it Suzanne Kane that’s filling in for mairead this week ? I don’t mind her actually and she seems sound from listening to her podcast.

I don’t have an issue with mairead Farrell actually and the issues around the 12-2pm(2:30pm) time slot go back way before she came into the gig. They've never replaced ray foley in that time slot and they seem have be trying and failing to figure it out since he left for 98fm at the time.
    Yes they did, with Dermot and Dave. Foley became insufferable towards the end. D&D only got moved to accommodate Al Porter after Anton left

Dannyman76 wrote: »
    Yes they did, with Dermot and Dave. Foley became insufferable towards the end. D&D only got moved to accommodate Al Porter after Anton left

98 fm dermot and Dave I really liked but what I’ve heard of Today fm dermot and Dave they aren’t as good and also anton savage should never have been fired in the first place but he was. The less said about al Porter the better. Well there was stuff behind the scenes on show that probably came through which may not have made it a good show towards the end, even if I think it was still a good show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Dan Hegarty on 2FM https://2fm.rte.ie/2fm-shows/dan-hegarty/
    Cian O'Ciobhain on RnaG https://www.rte.ie/rnag/an-taobh-tuathail/
    Tom Dunne on Newstalk https://www.newstalk.com/shows/tom-dunne-show-234868

Unfortunately all 3 are on at 10pm weeknights, but luckily can listen back to each the next day online.

No tracklists for Tom Dunne's show, but tracklists put up for the other two after each night's show.

There's also 8Radio and Dublin Digital Radio for internet radio all day too.

Dan Hegarty's show is repeated the next day 11am to 1pm on 2XM, and it's the best show on Irish radio these days, such a great range of music.

Ed Smith and McCloone were the best things on Today FM, and won't be listening to Ed anymore due to the time change, so listening to Jo Whiley on BBC now which I guess will be my regular weekday evening show now.

8 Radio and Today XM are good during the day, although Today XM got stuck in a loop playing a Johnny Cash song today.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    98 fm dermot and Dave I really liked but what I’ve heard of Today fm dermot and Dave they aren’t as good and also anton savage should never have been fired in the first place but he was. The less said about al Porter the better. Well there was stuff behind the scenes on show that probably came through which may not have made it a good show towards the end, even if I think it was still a good show.

The Anton era line up was great,I used to like the Ray D'Arcy and Foley shows in their prime. Nowadays we have a comedy duo trying to do serious interviews and filling out a mid morning show while D'Arcy trained Mairead is doing what she's doing to the lunchtime slot. All because a celebrity comedian ( who's long gone) didn't want to get up early

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

It's a car crash of a station at this stage and I was a regular listener from its launch as Radio Ireland way back. Not their target market clearly but McLoone going is the end for me. He is a national treasure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Dannyman76 wrote: »
    The Anton era line up was great,I used to like the Ray D'Arcy and Foley shows in their prime. Nowadays we have a comedy duo trying to do serious interviews and filling out a mid morning show while D'Arcy trained Mairead is doing what she's doing to the lunchtime slot. All because a celebrity comedian ( who's long gone) didn't want to get up early

Who is the comedian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

The writing was on the wall for McLoone when he was moved to 10pm a few short years ago..from the earlier 7/8pm slot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

siblers wrote: »
    Who is the comedian?

I presume they were referring to Al but forgot the inverted commas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Phil Cawley will be the next presenter to go from Today FM and he will be replaced by another female such as a Paula or a Pamela...they're all the same to me.

I saw a tweet where it was being spun that Paul mcloone decided of his own accord to end his show on today fm.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭deise man

I suppose they saw an opportunity to play dermot kennedy and niall horan one extra time in the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Oh ffs. What exactly is it you have against Alison Curtis?! She presents a weekend family show aimed at young families. You and I are not the target audience for that show!

She used to present a rock/indie show on Phantom. That was actually more "niche" than the chart stuff she plays on her weekend show now. But it was pretty awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

She opened today's show with - after "teasing" us as to what the topic actually was for a few minutes over the news and an ad break - was she a "monster" for reheating her tea in the microwave. And could we phone in to say what we thought about this.

I declined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭RINO87

Man i am going to miss this show. God damn you today FM.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Think this finally the point where i remove today fm from "1" on the preprogrammed radio buttons on the car. Nothing left for me there, matt just annoys me now as much as all the other content creators. At leastif i found myself driving after 7pm it was somewhat eclectic, now i dunno. Paul mcloone and his soft derry accent was very easy to listen to, alongside the music...will be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

That's a sickener, Ed Smith isn't too bad but he's a company man, Mcloone is a gem. I'll probably give Dan Hegarty a go or maybe check out something farther afield but so long today fm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've been listening to a lot of radio in the last year, pretty much given up on broadcast TV most evenings. Ed and Paul McLoone from Sunday to Thursday, Dec Pierce on a Friday and Claire Beck on a Saturday. Ed will probably shed some of the more contemporary pop music from his new show and it may be the better for it but it won't be a replacement for McLoone. Could be time to dust off the old TV remote control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I always thought that Paul McLoone was just the coolest man.

Listening to him here, he is also the most dignified, gracious man.

He has more music knowledge in his baby toe than I’ll ever have in my entire body...which should make me hate him...but it doesn’t.

It’s the end of an era, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Didn't always listen due to the timing but great last show.

Loved the Ed / Paul combo from 7 onwards :(

End of an era is exactly right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Evening all :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Lump in my throat there. Glad to hear he'll remain active/become more active on social media. Jeez.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I'd love to think that Paul might be directed to all the comments here - today FM twitter is also massively in support and appreciation of him.

I saw a pic on twitter from Paul of his cupboards full of cds and vinyl. At least that will be vacated for the the same 20 songs from Beyonce, Ed Sheeran, Dermot Kennedy, The Script I suppose.

In the last 18 months Today FM have got rid of Kelly Anne Byrne, Paul McCloone and Eds Songs of Praise.

And kept Matt Cooper, Mairead Farrell, Alison Curtis, Dermot and Dave.

Advertisement