Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭RINO87

....auto DJ after the show is actually pretty decent tonight for some reason too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Loads of positive comments for him and Ed on Instagram too.

Hopefully Paul will get a decent replacement gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

RINO87 wrote: »
    ....auto DJ after the show is actually pretty decent tonight for some reason too.

ha ha that didn't last long. Justin Bieber??? it's Today FM after all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

That was a class last show from Paul. Made sure to be on for 7 for Ed, completely forgetting he was on holidays - he didn't even get to do a last National Anthems show. :-(

ha ha that didn't last long. Justin Bieber??? it's Today FM after all...

Ha, Kate Bush to Justin Bieber??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 redbedhead

Shafted. I'm sickened. What are the contracts like for a commercial radio presenter, even those with the station so long? On RTE you can't get rid of anybody!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AlgerShane

What would be the odds of Paul getting a gig on Radio Nova?

Unlikely Peter Devlin will be back and a lot of changes have been taking place. Another alternative show from an Irish artist would be great.

Would that be a runner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Looks like the hatred is being directed toward undeserving people.

As they said in Good Morning Vietnam, its not politics, its just radio!

https://twitter.com/clairebeck1052/status/1403105464171257857?s=20

^^was it Claire or Pamela that was getting grief? Either/or its well said. I'd image Claire got a lot of stick when Kelly Anne Byrne was moved on, which must have sucked at it seemed like they were good mates at handover time etc, and Claire gave KAB a great tribute before her last show.
    Pamela getting stick here in this situation is not on either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Tork wrote: »
    I can see it :confused:

I'm disappointed but not surprised to see that they've started messing around with the evening schedule. It has been a schizophrenic sort of station for a long time, catering for one sort of audience during the daytime and a different one in the evenings. I've no doubt that "they" will continue to homogenise the station until it's nothing but wall to wall "content creation" and the same 20 songs on rotation. The audience they're burning off here is the one no radio station seems to want anyway - people in their 30s and 40s. It will be interesting indeed to see how long The Last Word survives. I'm still convinced that it's only there because the BAI still wield some sort of power over the station owners. Another interesting one to watch will be Ian Dempsey - how long can his reputation save him for?
    The Last Word is a leftover from the Radio Ireland days; the licence technically wouldn't allow for an all music station but TV3 got away with murder for years so I'd say they could drop it without much hassle.

I really don't get all this "content creator" nonsense. All you keep hearing is that the younger generation doesn't listen to radio, so why do so many stations keep aiming for a youth market?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭statto25

Glaceon wrote: »
    All you keep hearing is that the younger generation doesn't listen to radio, so why do so many stations keep aiming for a youth market?

To entice them back to listening to radio. The stations have sponsors and need ad revenue to exist in the marketplace so TodayFM are moving with the trends and focusing on the Instagram/TikTok generation which unfortunately includes the Content Creator type of presenter and show. if they retained their demographic from years back, they would have long tanked

statto25 wrote: »
    To entice them back to listening to radio. The stations have sponsors and need ad revenue to exist in the marketplace so TodayFM are moving with the trends and focusing on the Instagram/TikTok generation which unfortunately includes the Content Creator type of presenter and show. if they retained their demographic from years back, they would have long tanked

The profile of ad's on the station doesn't seem to fit with this tho. The ads all still seem targeted to a slightly older generation. 25+ I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

The profile of ad's on the station doesn't seem to fit with this tho. The ads all still seem targeted to a slightly older generation. 25+ I would think.

25-29? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭statto25

Look at the people on these social media platforms, they aren't just young people. These things aren't only age orientated but also trend related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Oh ffs. What exactly is it you have against Alison Curtis?! She presents a weekend family show aimed at young families. You and I are not the target audience for that show!

She used to present a rock/indie show on Phantom. That was actually more "niche" than the chart stuff she plays on her weekend show now. But it was pretty awesome.

oh ffs what's your obsession with following me,, i take it you are her or someone close to her, you see others here who dont like her or other presenters and it does nt get your knickers in a twist with them but with me for some reason, it triggers you ....hide me if your upset with someone not liking you/Alison...and normaly shes the stand in for Ian when he;s off, so it wouldnt be a strech she'd replace him

AlgerShane wrote: »
    What would be the odds of Paul getting a gig on Radio Nova?

Unlikely Peter Devlin will be back and a lot of changes have been taking place. Another alternative show from an Irish artist would be great.

Would that be a runner?

These days, presenters who are around the same age and who have the same radio experience as Paul McLoone as long term presenter roles on "FM" stations, usually don't get new gigs on competing "FM" stations...

...unless you are Colm Hayes:mad:

oh ffs what's your obsession with following me,, i take it you are her or someone close to her, you see others here who dont like her or other presenters and it does nt get your knickers in a twist with them but with me for some reason, it triggers you ....hide me if your upset with someone not liking you/Alison...and normaly shes the stand in for Ian when he;s off, so it wouldnt be a strech she'd replace him

Obsessed? No. Fascinated? Absolutely!

I'm fascinated as to why you're obsessed with dissing Alison/her show, repeatedly. I absolutely get that you are (presumably) not the target audience for an early weekend young family oriented show, but that's what her show is, whether you, or she, likes it or not. If you don't want to listen to a young family oriented show, don't, but it's not the presenter's fault that that's what she has to do. Given that's her job, I think she does it well. When a kid she's interviewing gets too annoying or a "family" topic is too boring for me, I just switch off or over.

I am not now, and nor have I ever been, Alison Curtis. Or any other Canadian.

These days, presenters who are around the same age and who have the same radio experience as Paul McLoone as long term presenter roles on "FM" stations, usually don't get new gigs on competing "FM" stations...

...unless you are Colm Hayes:mad:

Or Phil Cawley - he has or had a show on Nova recently, and is still on Today FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

She’s other shows eg Dempseys before and quite a poor cover so I’m entitled to say she’s good or not shock horror

Ah your just a passive aggressive white knight for Alison..you seem to be fixated on me as well as there are others who do the same with her and presenters like Ferg/D&D/Mairead etc and oddly doesn’t trigger you like I do for some reason …well good luck I won’t be engaging with you so you can target someone else

She’s other shows eg Dempseys before and quite a poor cover so I’m entitled to say she’s good or not shock horror

Ah your just a passive aggressive white knight for Alison..you seem to be fixated on me as well as there are others who do the same with her and presenters like Ferg/D&D/Mairead etc and oddly doesn’t trigger you like I do for some reason …well good luck I won’t be engaging with you so you can target someone else

I've never heard her standing in for Ian (I listen to news before 9) so can't comment on that. The only other music shows I have heard of hers were years ago on Phantom, and then The Last Splash on Sunday evenings (even that's going back a good few years now), but that's a show that had an excellent reputation and laid the groundwork for Ed Smith and co, so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Re Alison Curtis, I too enjoyed her on Phantom, on the odd occasion I heard her. I also liked The Last Splash, when I got to hear it. Occasionally, I have heard a bit of her weekend breakfast show, but it would not be my cup of tea. I have no issue, though, with her style.

Or Phil Cawley - he has or had a show on Nova recently, and is still on Today FM.

Going the way radio is at the moment, Phil was lucky to get a daytime slot (3pm to 6pm) on South East radio, Wexford....he is no longer covering or doing weekends on Nova.

Phil is also still hanging in on Today FM 4pm to 7pm Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

This is all extremely disappointing, and Today FM have wiped out a number of their USPs with Ed and Pauls shows in one clean sweep.

The only "logic" I can see here is that Mairead Ronan was the only female presenter with a prime time slot during the week. Wall to wall male presenters otherwise, and you can see why the execs would want to change that. However as a result they have torn out the only shows that made them different, and the only radio shows I or others I know would make a point if listening too. Everything else the have is just bland background noise radio, and now they'll have that right up to 10pm.

They could have addressed the gender balance by removing that clown Darcy.

Reversal wrote: »
    This is all extremely disappointing, and Today FM have wiped out a number of their USPs with Ed and Pauls shows in one clean sweep.

What is a "USP" in this context?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Re Alison Curtis, I too enjoyed her on Phantom, on the odd occasion I heard her. I also liked The Last Splash, when I got to hear it. Occasionally, I have heard a bit of her weekend breakfast show, but it would not be my cup of tea. I have no issue, though, with her style.

Agree with that Declan - her weekend show is aimed at families with kids - the little reader and all the different things on it and most of the segments suit who Alison is now as opposed to the gal she was back in Phantom/Last Splash shows - sometimes I hear her, but I usually turn it over to something else as I am not a fan of the music or the things she does nowadays. But I still think that she is a good presenter for the type of show she does.

I think Ian & Alison are similar - ask Mario the same leading questions for Gift Grub and interviews that are just asking people what they are on to sell (book/movie/album/show), nothing hard hitting and all family friendly with competitions that require happy go lucky competitors

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

3 hours without Dermot Kennedy

Nnothing wrong with him or his music per se, but the axed shows are about the only places on the station you wouldn't have heard him.

I meant what does a USP mean?..So I googled and its probably a "Unique Selling Point"??.
    Excuse my ignorance...too many acronyms these days !!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

I meant what does a USP mean?..So I googled and its probably a "Unique Selling Point"??.
    Excuse my ignorance...too many acronyms these days !!

Sorry yeah I just meant not another show of gavin James screeching down the radio and other bland drivel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Tork

https://twitter.com/clairebeck1052/status/1403105464171257857?s=20

Claire Beck and just about every other presenter on the radio should take this week's schedule changes as (yet) another sign that they should have more than one iron in the fire. All it takes is a new owner or program director to come in, decide your face doesn't fit and out you go. I hope Paul McLoone finds another radio gig but unfortunately, there are a lot of DJs out there fighting for a finite number of slots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

For anyone missing Kelly Anne Byrne, she's on The Face Radio from 7pm to 9pm every Friday, and it's really brilliant.
    I listen on The Radio Garden app.

https://twitter.com/TheFaceRadioBK/status/1403411736795963393?s=19

Advertisement