Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Yeah, not picking up a disinterested vibe at all at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Dickie10

whats happened gift grub? havent listened to ian dempsey in about 12 years but christ its poor, seems stuck in a time warp and gift grub was shocking when you are exposed to oliver callan, rosentock voices unrecognisable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

hasnt been funny since 2007...its been beaten to death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭DBK1

I haven’t heard gift grub in a few months now but no matter how bad Mario might have gotten in that time frame he will still always be 10 times better than Oliver Callan. I always found OC completely hopeless, there are only a handful of voices he’s able to pull off and the rest sound nothing like what they’re supposed to. The script would leave a lot to be desired too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Dickie10

God i would have it the opposite i think Rosenstock is terrible, i think what people are attrated to Oliver Callan is his satire, rosenstock dosent seem to want to sink the boot in to people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭neris

Rosenstock is dreadful now. He use to be very good in the early mid 2000s but is way past his sell by date now. Dempsey has some involvement with him so Id say thats the only thing keeping him on air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Mario peaked in the early 2000's, some of his sketches back then were really on the money and very witty, e.g. during the Roy Keane / Saipan saga and again the day after Keane was booted out of United he had a song out the next day which soon hit the top of the UK charts if I recall! He also thrived during the Bertie Ahern era...

But its been stale for years now.

There are much much better mimics out there (check out Conor Moore on YT, he's superb). Never liked Callan either. he's probably a better mimic than Mario but he's lacking the critical part - he's not funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Ah I do like the Matt Cooper and Frank Greany sketches - they are funny (sometimes), just cos it takes the piss out of Matt (Saherday, don't warn the listeners to turn off Frank etc) ... but I am sure like most of the other sketches, I will find those boring too cos he will play them to death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

I Think it was always known Callanan did the better impressions, Rosenstock was the better writer/had the better material (before it got beaten down)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think there were a few slander law suit threats made against Rosenstock and Callanan meaning they couldn't go fully Private Eye on their skits anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭amlinopta

They ended up in court fighting over royalties, not sure how it was settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Velocity_Girl

Am I dreaming or are they repeating a “Dave’s bad jokes” segment that was aired months ago?? Surely it isn’t a big deal to get new jokes…..

They’re getting very fond of repeating things these days like interviews with celebs to fill the time, need to come up with a few new segments I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

They seem to have sorted out the playback faults on their app.

Means I can listen back to Ed Smith and Claire Becks shows while I work during the day which is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

was able to enter cash machine today - but the strange thing is i wasn't charged €2.50 for it just the regular 20c😶 (i'm with three)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Definite improvement in playlists.

Hearing really random great pop songs that I haven’t heard on the radio in yonks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Yes it has got better. Good to hear a mix of songs in the last few weeks.

Agree - I've heard Robbie Williams Old before I die on 3 times in a week. Hadn't heard that on the radio for ages. No Doubt on Ian Dempsey today, The Stokes another day IIRC.

Maybe they realise that people who listen to Today FM on weekdays are not 13 year old girls and have decided to pull back a small bit on Ed Sheeran, Dermot Kennedy (only playing them once an hour now).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

They mentioned improvements and you mentioned Robbie Williams. Does not compute.

LOL

Was in response to a poster who mentioned some older, random pop tunes (I missed the bit where it said great!) and that's why I referenced Robbie Williams. I added in The Strokes for balance!

Is Robbie playing here soon or something? I heard his Kylie duet "Kids" this morning. Maybe his record company is doing a special offer on royalties.

• Advertisement

Black Eyed Peas and Cornershop (ok, 1-hit wonder, but still, a good one) just now on Pamela Joyce's show. A-ha yesterday. Definitely a broader range of music. Long may it continue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Cornershop - Brimful of Asha is not a One Hit Wonder. They had other hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Definitely a better variety of music.

Although Ian made a comment yesterday after a Justin Timberlake song that "depending on what time you've been listening since, that's the second time you've heard him this morning". Which would suggest they played one of his songs in the first hour of the breakfast show as well?

The famous version is a Norman Cook/Fatboy Slim remix anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Correct and in my opinion the original version of Brimful of Asha is better than the Norman Cook remix. Released 6 months earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Jessica Maciel in the media talking about her boob job. Saying she 'couldn't fill out anything'. Sad what social media and other women do to make women feel like they need a bigger chest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I think fair play to her. It was something she wanted, she went for it and she’s being open and honest about it.

Everyone has insecurities and if she can do something about hers, why not?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

She literally said she hated her boobs because she couldn't get any clothes to fit her properly and it was something that clearly bothered her.

Not everything is social media's fault. She made a decision and she's very happy with it. Fair play to her.

I wish there wasn't such a stigma attached to getting work done. People always compare the extreme cases but a lot of people do it because they don't like themselves and if it makes them happier then why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,917 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Do you think social media was making the badly fitting clothes?

Advertisement