Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I've been up and on the road early on Saturdays for the last while and there is a decent music show on RTE 1 from 6am to 8am.

Last weekend Louise Duffy guest presented and this weekend it was Nadine O Regan.

They are both head and shoulders above any of the female presenters who have joined Today FM since they have left. With the exception of Claire Beck. Add in them getting rid of Kelly Ann Byrne and you would wonder what exactly it is that the Today FM bosses want.

(Somebody will probably find that offensive or abusive on this thread - apologies to any head and shoulders who took any offence).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I don't understand the love for Block Roxkin Beats.

As stated, it's what Jenny Greene has been doing for years.

He's basically playing a Now That's What I Call Early to Mid 90s Most Popular Dance Hits....... from what I've heard anyway. Very commercial hits.

But Then again, I'm 50 so I heard them all the first time around and for the last 30 years and they were over played when they were originally put.

I've yet to hear any tunes played where I think, 'wow.... haven't heard that in years' .

I think it comes down to tone of voice or timbre .....

Lillian Smith's voice suits the early morning slot on Radio1. I love Jenny Greene's voice..... really strong and distinctive. I also quite liked Muireann's show.

I heard Pamela on the radio the other day and presumed it was someone filling in. It just wasn't strong enough, for me.

I do think Ian's show is tired at this stage. It hasn't changed in 20 years. He's a lovely guy and the last of the jocks but the format is tired..... possibly the music doesn't fit with his style and he has no interest in the tunes played. There was a time when the station/Ian as well I think would champion a song (remember "I wasn't expecting that").

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭DBK1

I used to love listening to block rocking beats on a Friday. I know it was the same songs every week but that was ok, they were still great to hear on the radio!

Since it changed to 2 nights every weekend it’s not worth listening to. There’s far too many “pop” songs on it now to try and fill in the time, presumably because he doesn’t want to be repeating the same songs on the one weekend, and it has really reduced the quality of music on the show.

I’d be a big fan of Jenny Greene’s show too and when that show started out it was probably very similar to what block rocking beats started out as but there’s a big change in the music on Jenny’s show since, with a lot less “old skool” music and more concentrated on just dance music and new dance music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Block Rocking Beats is class, always full of great songs. Who cares if Jenny Greene was doing it before, people were doing it before her too. 2FM is completely unlistenable to me. The music they play is pure shite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Kelly Anne Byrne's show was class - introduced me to a whole load of bands and even genres I otherwise would have never heard of. Huge loss to the station, along with Paul McLoone.

I think it could be 'class', if they searched through the archives a bit and played some tunes that haven't been overplayed across the last 3 decades.

It's lazy radio to me.

Same as Phil Cawley's 80s show... yes he played songs from the 80s but I have more diversity in my Now That's What I Call Music collection than his playlist.

I’d agree about 2fm, Jenny’s show on a Saturday night is the only time I’d listen to it all week.

I also agreed about Block Rocking Beats until it was changed to 2 nights. Do you not think there was a major drop in song quality since then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Leave Block Rockin Beats on a Saturday and reinstate Friday Night 80s 😁

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭nomoedoe

I’m the same i love block rockin beats on a Friday and ive listen once to the Saturday show its just not the same ,i think it is a bit overkill and will get stale soon enough theres only so many songs from the 90’s he can play,and Dec is filling in for Paula on Sunday evenings but that’s just chart show stuff.

I was on the phone to someone yesterday evening with Dec on in the background, and they said "Jaysus, you're listening to Westlife?" Not consciously, no, but, yeah, thanks for that, Dec! 😂

It's only been on Saturdays a couple of weeks, so it probably will get stale over time. Though I can't listen to every show which helps. Saturday show is followed by Claire Beck too which is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Thankfully Radio Nova took up the mantle of Friday Night 80's with Dee Woods and it is a great show (I do think it is pre-recorded cos there are no requests but loads of 80's trivia)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Pamela Joyce is off today and Paula McSweeney is filling in, now it's a hot one today no doubt but just look at how formal the reply is to a simple "can you crank up the air con" request is. Looks like Bauer are great craic to deal with altogether. [/saracsm] Bear in mind also, she's well into her 3rd trimester.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

It's an automated response is it now? Fairly standard in a lot of large companies these days.

Yup - clue is in the "reply above this line". Would not fancy being heavily pregnant in this heat. Or ever, really! The beer belly is bad enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is the Cash Machine one of the great money making ideas in Irish Radio history?

The longevity of it would suggest so, especially given the entry price

One thing I learned recently, once you enter it, they start sending out texts in later days and weeks trying to entice you to text again. Can't stand the thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

No because I can handle most competitions but to hear this trash machine repeated every single day multiple times... Its torture!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭siblers

You have to pay to unsubscribe from the messages too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I enjoy hearing how different presenters treat it. Some sound like they couldn’t care less while some people make it sound almost like a feature and put some effort into it

That's shocking. But you can just block the number

That's what I did. Couldn't believe you had to pay to unsubscribe, some joke

Wait, what? You're getting spam from it? How the hell are you charged for unsubbing - even if you were subscribed to receive messages? Are you sure this is the Bauer Media cash machine and not some fake scam? Because that's what it sounds like...

It's the real number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It's just a standard message rate to unsubscribe. I think that's fairly standard for the 5 digit phone numbers

• Advertisement

Yup - so most likely, it's free. Pain in the arse, though. I was wondering why they'd moved to the new number as the old one obviously had recognition, so it was presumably to introduce this. I haven't entered since it moved to the new number but that'd just annoy me.

Advertisement