Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Can't take to the new Dave show at all yet.

Reminds me too much of the godawful Michael McIntyre Saturday night show.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Who has stepped in to do the fake laughter in the place of Dermot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Pretty much gave up after I heard listeners introducing the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I've had to switch it off last 2 days. Random announcers from the public is a stupid idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 matrix mick

Dave is the one with the fake laughter. Dermot is the funny one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Not sure I'm into it either.

I feel like he's trying to be a radio version of Ant+Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway. A bit forced/over-enthusiastic maybe but that might settle

Music Master seems to take a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

They've gone all-in on the old reliable mid 2000s playlist and 90s music quizzes. Not great at all.

That said, I don't miss the awful laughter. Every cloud and all that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

We've literally heard 2 and a half shows, so far. Give it time. Some of the new stuff won't work, and will be quietly dropped or amended. Some will work and will be kept. Some of the old stuff will need to adapt, too - Dave's bad jokes greeted with just silence, or the occasional "Heh." - yeah, Dermot's manic laugh-at-anything was actually good for something, it turns out.

The Music Master does seem a bit too long, and trying to guess what someone is humming doesn't work (whoever is doing it is no Ann Gleeson!) Playlist seems just the same as before to me - chart hits, some 90s and 00s throwbacks, and obligatory once-a-week Outkast.

I think they should be making more use of Cathal and Maria, at least in the short term - Dave works better when he's bouncing off someone else, I think - but overall it's still one of their better daytime shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Maria seems to be off this week so I’m guessing you mean Eimear. But you’re right that it’s a new show and things will adapt. You can’t judge a new show this quickly. You need to give it time to develop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I don't know are we all listening the the same shows half the time. Dave is the one that would laugh at anything, his background screeching to Say stuff was cringeworthy, as was his saying the punchline 3 times, each time more screechingly, on bad jokes. Listened to the bit about travel mishaps this morning and turned it off. He seemed to have completely lost the ability to talk to people in any natural way.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 matrix mick

I'd imagine the people who think dermot was the fake laugh are the same people who could never tell which was which on air. They don't even sound alike.

There was a pair of them in it - Dave wasn't laughing uproariously at his own bad jokes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

He's like Peter Pan when it comes to jokes.

He can Never Never Land the punchline. 😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭XabiAlonso22

Oh god it's Dave and the two Johnnies all in one

I like Dave, but it's not what he was doing whenever he did the show on his own before. It's all a bit desperate! I'll give it another go in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Guess he will be given a partner eventually, if it keeps going bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

If Today FM management has sense they would fire the fella that Anton Savage quit because of and get Anton back in for three 9-12 slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Maybe Anton is happy where he is on Newstalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

It was also Hector... it was at that point during the first week of his stint at 2fm that I switched off.

"Gimme the name of the babby, the weight of the babby, the height of the babby, the parish of the babby".....

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

They're putting Britney and Rihannas kids through college at this stage with all these royalties 😂

What I'd say is he seems to be trying too hard? It's like Dave (and the others) sat down in a bit of a panic, and said right, Dermot's leaving, solo show going forward, what do we need to add to fill the Dermot-shaped hole? Right, let's have a daily quiz... and a daily interview... and a sports thing on Fridays... and intros from the public... and... and...

It's all just a but too busy, if that makes sense. He just needs to relax into it, and chill a bit more. I certainly wouldn't be writing it off after week 1 - it's still better than most of the other stations' equivalents, and doesn't have the awkward mixture of dead air/pregnant pauses and obvious scripted shite of Ray Foley.

Get up the yard, Foley is great. No idea why you'd think it was scripted.

Not fully scripted, or well scripted. But there definitely are "set pieces" or segments that are clearly scripted, at least to my ear. I know I'm in a minority, but I can't stand them. They're usually when I stick on 8 Radio, Spotify or vinyl.

I’m surprised by people here thinking that Dave Moore’s new show was thrown together last-minute. It was mentioned a couple of times in their press release about Dermot leaving that this was months in the works and you would expect there were demos done to make sure long-term he would work as a solo presenter.

That said, I’m not sure I love the show myself but it’s early days yet and they’re sure to tweak, add and drop things over time.

I've really found myself becoming a big fan of Stephen Daly these past few months. He's always an easy listen for a Saturday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I turned on today fm at 5pm and listened for ten minutes and got the sport and news and weather and then I presume it was Louise Cantillon talk about the cash machine and it was way too hyper. Thank god for ray foley being back.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Neg10

I think it’s just no nonsense radio. Almost like listening to the good old days with Tony Fenton. Music, small bit of chat, no rubbish or pretentiousness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭nc6000

Does anyone know why they weren't at Electric Picnic this year? They've had their own area the previous 4 or 5 times we were there but nothing this year.

Advertisement