Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Faugheen wrote: »
    Who's the woman who used to do early breakfast before Paula? Her name escapes me but I thought she was quite good.
    Annemarie Kelly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I see it Muireanns picture on the website now for lunchtime. How often does the temporary host get the full time job.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I think in Muireann's case, the ball will be in her court. She's almost universally popular as a stand-in for the lunchtime slot. Not that I'd back Today FM management to any great extent, but they'd need to be seriously blinkered not to offer it to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Annemarie Kelly?

Think she's with Midlands 103

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

She is. She looks different to what I thought she'd look like. http://www.midlands103.com/amkelly As far as I remember, she left because she had started a family and only getting graveyard shifts on Today FM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I think in Muireann's case, the ball will be in her court. She's almost universally popular as a stand-in for the lunchtime slot. Not that I'd back Today FM management to any great extent, but they'd need to be seriously blinkered not to offer it to her.
    How about putting her on the Radio Nova breakfast show with Marty Miller, as Dee Woods' permanent replacement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭nc6000

I see it Muireanns picture on the website now for lunchtime. How often does the temporary host get the full time job.

None of the previous temporary hosts they've had in the 09.00-12.00 and 12.00-14.30 slots were kept full-time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭prunudo

Didn't Louise Duffy get the afternoon show after initially filling in for Tony when he first became sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,251 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I've just listened back to the start of today's show with Muireann and to anyone who heard it at midday, does she sound totally feed up and as if she didn't want to have address the issue with Al Porter ?

Muireann is always very upbeat and bubbly but I'd say the atmosphere in marconi house must be worse than it already is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,251 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I used to be a huge Today Fm listener in the past. It really is a shame that a once very good station seems to be making silly and baffling moves to try and "fix" something that while I might have needed a freshening up didn't need to changes it made.

I don't know when the last time I left the radio on all day on Today Fm in work (and it's the preset one in work)or at home. I really hope that some sanity comes from somewhere to try and stop the horrible atmosphere that seems to coming through whenever I do listen now. I mean Ray Foley handing over to Tony Fenton on a summer friday afternoon and just the family vibe would get you in great form for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Such a mess it really is. Id be surprised if they dont give the lunch show to someone already wirking in Today fm. More than ever they need a safe pair of hands, thats familar to listeners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I used to be a huge Today Fm listener in the past. It really is a shame that a once very good station seems to be making silly and baffling moves to try and "fix" something that while I might have needed a freshening up didn't need to changes it made.

I don't know when the last time I left the radio on all day on Today Fm in work (and it's the preset one in work)or at home. I really hope that some sanity comes from somewhere to try and stop the horrible atmosphere that seems to coming through whenever I do listen now. I mean Ray Foley handing over to Tony Fenton on a summer friday afternoon and just the family vibe would get you in great form for the weekend.

I would have a different view on that one, while Foley was popular with listeners, dont think he was too popular in Marconi House.

IMO the time when the schedule was really cohesive was when Anton was mid mornings. There was genuine banter between himself Ian Dempsey and D&D at the other end of the show. There seemed to be references all over the place to the other shows
    Even remember Anton jumping in to play a request that they hadnt got time for on breakfast #BringBackAnton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,301 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Every commissioning editor and producer at all communicorp radio stations should be sacked. Never seen such a fall in quality and a calamity of personnel decisions in irish media in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

jvan wrote: »
    Didn't Louise Duffy get the afternoon show after initially filling in for Tony when he first became sick.

She had the lunch spot and she was moved to Fenton’s spot after ratings fell and dermiot and dave were brought in and ratings fell again when she was moved to 2.30 and Ferg was swapped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

jvan wrote: »

She had the lunch spot and she was moved to Fenton’s spot after ratings fell and dermiot and dave were brought in and ratings fell again when she was moved to 2.30 and Ferg was swapped

I think the slot she has now suits her seems to play good music not much of the mainstream ****e they have to play during the day

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Louise's show is vastly underrated. She plays a great mix of music and it's a real relief after TLW if you listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

As above, I was an all day listener to today fm, thinking about it over the weekend, when Ray & jp were asked to go to 98fm was the beginning of the fall. They really had lunchtimes sown up, Louise did very well in Tony's spot I thought, I really liked her, much better than fergal D'Arcy. Anton was the best thing to have happened to today fm, after Ray D'Arcy had gone all cranky and opinionated, antons leaving was the final nail in the coffin, dermot & dave don't work for me in the morning, I change stations after Ian. Hearing of Al Porter being given the mid day show I was so disappointed. I think muireann will do well in that slot, they need another Anton style show at 9, move d&d and get rid of fergal. Anton won't come back and who would blame him, he was right to stick to his guns. 5 years ago today fm was the top radio station for me, now I just go from station to station. There isn't one good station where you could leave on all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I used to listen to Today FM all day too but now I listen to BBC Radio 1 in the morning, switch to Dermot and Dave, and then back to BBC Radio 1 or Deezer. Ian Dempsey actually grew on me for awhile but it’s a bit stale, and Matt Cooper depresses me these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I find Ian a bit meh. Gift grub really needs to be dropped. I do like Fergal tho. Wouldn't mind hearing Phil on a weekday slot I do enjoy listening to him. Is Hector still on of a Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

The King of the afternoon with Muireann would be great but it won't happen.

He'd surely jump if offered with his family still in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

The King of the afternoon with Muireann would be great but it won't happen.

He'd surely jump if offered with his family still in Dublin
    Today FM have confirmed she's only a temporary replacement.

I still reckon it will be Dara Quilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MrPops

Yep has to be Dara Quilty. Top guy and a PRO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Louise's show is vastly underrated. She plays a great mix of music and it's a real relief after TLW if you listen to it.

In fairness , the chit chat/banter with her staff was annoying but her selection of tunes was far better until they reigned her in but since the move she’s back to better music and less chat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

There's too much chat on daytime radio anyway. Wonder is it to cut down on royalties?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

In fairness , the chit chat/banter with her staff was annoying but her selection of tunes was far better until they reigned her in but since the move she’s back to better music and less chat

She was absolutely woeful on daytime radio. They advertised her as ditzy and brainless, and she carried it out. She is much better in the evening slot. D&D still seem like a fish out of water in the morning slot - it seems very forced to me. Muireann would need to seriously calm down a bit for the afternoon, she might be better in the 9am slot, letting them move D&D back to 2pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whiterebel wrote: »
    She was absolutely woeful on daytime radio. They advertised her as ditzy and brainless, and she carried it out. She is much better in the evening slot. D&D still seem like a fish out of water in the morning slot - it seems very forced to me. Muireann would need to seriously calm down a bit for the afternoon, she might be better in the 9am slot, letting them move D&D back to 2pm.

She would need to calm down even more for the morning show but I like her in the afternoon slot. I don't think I could handle her full on Duracell bunny that early in the day but each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Louise Duffy plays some good music in fairness to her,but she is an awful radio presenter. Too many stutters, ems and ehhhs. I've been listening to her on and off for a few years now and she still hasnt got the basics of presenting a radio show right. I dunno, its seems as she cant speak properly when on air, there's no natural flow... half the time she seems to be thinking "where am i going with this, what am i going to say next"...Ehhhhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Her interview with Brandon Flowers last evening was atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

MrPops wrote: »
    Yep has to be Dara Quilty. Top guy and a PRO.

With everything else he has going on would he want it tho? He's over in NYC every other month and touring with APELLA. Himself and Brian Maher could be a decent shout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Cooper mentioned the Al Porter allegations on the last word tonight it’s the first mention I’ve heard on Today FM yet

Advertisement