Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

IUA14 wrote: »
    Not a hope.
    Not a fan of that structure?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Not a fan of that structure?

Why would they want to copy 2FM? They wont extend Ian's show to 10, they won't change D&D when they have only settled into the slot, one would hope they wouldn't give D'Arcy more airtime and they wont extend Coopers show. They would have to renegotiate the entire daytime lineups contracts to do what you suggested so no...not a hope.

Why would they want to copy 2FM? They wont extend Ian's show to 10, they won't change D&D when they have only settled into the slot, one would hope they wouldn't give D'Arcy more airtime and they wont extend Coopers show. They would have to renegotiate the entire daytime lineups contracts to do what you suggested so no...not a hope.
    That said, DQ would be a nice cheaper alternative to Al if they do get a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It they wanted DQ they'd have hired him by now.

It they wanted DQ they'd have hired him by now.
    Nonsense. Look how long his predecessors were on 98FM until they FINALLY ended up in "Big School"!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Maybe they don't think he's good enough. If he's the second coming of Christ you seem to think he is, why leave him languishing on a local radio station the majority of the population can't pick up on their car radios. You'd think they'd be bursting to introduce him to the nation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Heard a rumour that Al might not be replaced at all.

Where pray tell did you “hear” this “rumour”? The same source that keeps telling you that the living legends Laura Whitmore / Dara Whatshisface are about to land top gigs on 2FM?

It’s getting very tiresome.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Where pray tell did you “hear” this “rumour”? The same source that keeps telling you that the living legends Laura Whitmore / Dara Whatshisface are about to land top gigs on 2FM?

I plead the fifth amendment.

Dara would be great in that slot though. Think about it, he's done SPIN, he's done 98FM, there really is only one more promotion for him in Communicorp and that would be Today FM. On the other hand is there any real need for five 7am-7pm shows? This could just turn out to be bull****, but I am just telling you what I have heard people say.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

I plead the fifth amendment.

Dara would be great in that slot though. Think about it, he's done SPIN, he's done 98FM, there really is only one more promotion for him in Communicorp and that would be Today FM. On the other hand is there any real need for five 7am-7pm shows? This could just turn out to be bull****, but I am just telling you what I have heard people say.
    What people?

redbuck wrote: »
    What people?
    Just people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,808 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If they did extend the Last Word, it would give them more time to plug their bloody competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Just people.

You’re making it up. Aren’t you. Which was amusing for a while but it’s bloody tedious now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭iseegirls

NIMAN wrote: »
    If they did extend the Last Word, it would give them more time to plug their bloody competitions.

Ian Dempseys show has way more competitions than The Last Word. If there is one of the last word, it's a quick 30second link. When it's on Ian Dempsey, it's like a 5 minute promotion with a game/quiz involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,960 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Dara Quilty appeals to Al Porter fans. Nuff said.

You’re making it up. Aren’t you. Which was amusing for a while but it’s bloody tedious now.
    I think it they can't find a suitable replacement for Al, they should just extend the existing shows. They might not want to, but I think it would be good solution. Anyway if they do go with a replacement, it's DQ or Neil Delamere for me.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Dara Quilty appeals to Al Porter fans. Nuff said.
    Well I like Dara and I liked Al but, as a regular Big Ride Home listener, I can assure you they are nothing alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Well I like Dara and I liked Al but, as a regular Big Ride Home listener, I can assure you they are nothing alike.

I was a 98fm listener when Ray was on and heard the Big ride home, found it sooooo repetitive. No i'd be very surprised if Al Porter isnt replaced by muireann, today fm need a familiar safe pair of hands now to steady the ship

reg114 wrote: »
    I was a 98fm listener when Ray was on and heard the Big ride home, found it sooooo repetitive. No i'd be very surprised if Al Porter isnt replaced by muireann, today fm need a familiar safe pair of hands now to steady the ship
    They have already said she is a temporary replacement, she will not get it. Period. She's awful anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

They have already said she is a temporary replacement, she will not get it. Period. She's awful anyway.

How would DQ save Today fm tho because right now they need saving and quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Yes, temporary until a decision is made, which might be her..

I like her, she gets a fairly positive reaction on here and with her profile in the ascendancy, she'd be a safe bet.

She also has good radio experience and with her TV3 profile it'd help promote the show.

• Advertisement

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Yes, temporary until a decision is made, which might be her..

I like her, she gets a fairly positive reaction on here and with her profile in the ascendancy, she'd be a safe bet.

She also has good radio experience and with her TV3 profile it'd help promote the show.
    Well if by some miracle she does get the slot, for me that'll be another good reason to listen to 2FM from noon to 2:30pm. I like Tracy Clifford anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,252 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well if by some miracle she does get the slot, for me that'll be another good reason to listen to 2FM from noon to 2:30pm. I like Tracy Clifford anyway.

Mike you wanted laura whitmore to be on the radio despite the fact she doesn't have any radio experience yet seem to have a problem with muireann who has years of experience in radio. Why exactly do you dislike her so much ? I think muireann getting the gig permanently would the best move today fm can make after a few iffy ones previous. Also I like Tracey Clifford as well.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Mike you wanted laura whitmore to be on the radio despite the fact she doesn't have any radio experience yet seem to have a problem with muireann who has years of experience in radio. Why exactly do you dislike her so much ? I think muireann getting the gig permanently would the best move today fm can make after a few iffy ones previous. Also I like Tracey Clifford as well.
    I just find her annoying. If you disagree then that's fine. I have a funny feeling that if people keep saying she should get the slot, she might not get it at all. I think it she was, then Today wouldn't have announced her as a "temporary replacement". I think they might not even keep that slot at all. If they do, wouldn't it be nice for Paula MacSweeney to see a bit of daylight? Maybe Dara or Muireann could take over early breakfast. Unless there is something preventing him from doing a weekday show then Neil Delamere wouldn't be bad either. Dara might get the slot or he might spent a few more years on 98 before going national or he might not join Today FM at all - all I know is that I don't know. I was absolutely not expecting Al Porter to join Today FM, or for Anton to leave for that matter.

If they did offer Dara the slot he'd probably say something like: "Hell yeah, it's time for a bigger audience". Biggest weekend names are Neil and Hector, and with Hector wanting to remain in Galway I would say Neil would be more likely to get the show. So I actually think it will most likely be Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

If today fm had any sense they'd give the slot to Muireann and it will be problem solved

EPAndlee wrote: »
    If today fm had any sense they'd give the slot to Muireann and it will be problem solved
    If they do, I'll religiously listen to the last hour of Nicky & Jenny and to Tracy Clifford.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭robo

Hey I am due a win on one of those Last Word competitions - haven't won anything in about 2 years :rolleyes:

reg114 wrote: »
    How would DQ save Today fm tho because right now they need saving and quick
    The One Note Guessing Game.
    When I Was 17.
    The odd Apella tune.
    His sense of humour.
    Being absolutely nothing like Al Porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

If they do, I'll religiously listen to the last hour of Nicky & Jenny and to Tracy Clifford.

Be careful what you wish for.

I'd rather have my ears ripped off than listen to 2fm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

There’s definitely worse out there-Feargal Darcy between 2.30 and 4.30 is dire stuff altogether.
    I'd rather have my ears ripped off than listen to 2fm

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I like Fergal Darcy now, having intensely disliked him when he started. He's a hell of a lot better than when he started and he has the sense to use his producer, Ed Smith, as a sort of co-presenter, which works very well.

I've said it before, his culchie shtick is annoying but his genuine excitement at being where he is and his personality, at least when he's not hamming it up, are great to hear.

Advertisement