Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Phat Dick

Here is an interesting bit of trivia, it was 15 years ago yesterday that Eamon Dunphy hosted the last word for the very last time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

reg114 wrote: »
    The tech / car guy? who was on last night is generally good and should , the entertainment.ie guy cant string two words together hes awful.

I didn't hear all of it last night, but yes, I'm talking about Adrian Weckler, he's the tech guy they regularly have on and he's on some newspapers too. Didn't realise he was on last night, I must have missed that bit.

Is the entertainment.ie guy the same fella who does the movie reviews? Brian Lloyd I think his name is? He's very hard to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'd like Muireann to get the 12pm slot purely because she's from my hometown/locality but her laugh drives me insane, a right catch 22.

Never heard of Dara Quilty though so cant judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I didn't hear all of it last night, but yes, I'm talking about Adrian Weckler, he's the tech guy they regularly have on and he's on some newspapers too. Didn't realise he was on last night, I must have missed that bit.

Is the entertainment.ie guy the same fella who does the movie reviews? Brian Lloyd I think his name is? He's very hard to listen to.

Brian Lloyd sounds familiar, he just sounds like a chap who wandered in off the street, his film knowledge is scant and he is a woeful communicator

reg114 wrote: »
    Brian Lloyd sounds familiar, he just sounds like a chap who wandered in off the street, his film knowledge is scant and he is a woeful communicator

Talks at a million miles per hour and every sentence includes "You know that kinda way like?". Massively irritating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Talks at a million miles per hour and every sentence includes "You know that kinda way like?". Massively irritating.

Yes yes thats him .. has a very stunted vocab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Phat Dick wrote: »
    Here is an interesting bit of trivia, it was 15 years ago yesterday that Eamon Dunphy hosted the last word for the very last time

Has it been Matt since?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Has it been Matt since?
    Yep.

Yep.

Thanks. Hard to believe it’s 15 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,175 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The start of the end of Today FM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Second Yellow

BPKS wrote: »
    The start of the end of Today FM.

The beginning of the end for a 5 year old station that is now 20 years old?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Has it been Matt since?

I clearly remember Matt regularly filling in for ED when he was in leave.

ads20101 wrote: »
    I clearly remember Matt regularly filling in for ED when he was in leave.

Yeah Matt was a very regular fill in on the show long before he took it full time. Eamon used to take frequent extended breaks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Thread should be renamed "Today FM Major changes in 2018" :D

I presume 2017 was a poor year for Today FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Or poss a new thread

I suggest

'Mass panic at Today fm 2018'

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

You'd expect an announcement in the next week or two for Lunchtimes and the new show to kick off in January? Similar to how they did it with D&D taking over from Anton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Phat Dick

Does it really matter who hosts a lunchtime show on a music station? All music stations sound the same with their preselected playlists, cheesy competitions, annoying ads and what's your favorite colour type text topic of the day. Seriously why do we care anymore ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Does it really matter who hosts a lunchtime show on a music station? All music stations sound the same with their preselected playlists, cheesy competitions, annoying ads and what's your favorite colour type text topic of the day. Seriously why do we care anymore ?

What were these shows like before text messages ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

threein99 wrote: »
    What were these shows like before text messages ? :confused:

Listenable.

That’s actually a really excellent point. I’m in the 40-50 demographic and am totally exasperated with Irish radio. I’ve given 20 years of loyal listening to Today FM but it has been replaced by silence now. Porter was the straw that broke the camels back but in reality Fergal Darcy and Muireann are about as far removed from my world as is possible. Ed Smith and his songs of praise and some of the weekend shows are all I listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

We younger people* like the brain floss, though. :p

Maybe not the sickly sweet bubblegum flavour of Spin but I don't need to have my mind actively engaged by the radio as I go about whatever else I'm doing in tandem.

*Note "younger" as opposed to "young", he says in a fit of desperately trying to cling on to his youth. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

I liked Muireann but her hyperness is getting a bit irritating now, and the way she can flog a sentence to death, just say it once, not the same sentence 3 or 4 different ways, flicked on to Nova to see what was on and Dee is doing 80s so it'll do for a while, think it starts at 1pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

If Dara Quilty does get the lunchtime show who do you think will take over The Big Ride Home? Brian Maher would be the most likely choice, but there are other presenters on their current roster who could, like Andy Clarke, Karl Dawson or Ciaran O'Connor. Other options would include Shelly Gray, Tara Harrison or Claire Beck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

Today FM really needs a major shakeup in 2018

Ian Dempsey & Gift Grub are gone super stale

Dermot & Dave talk pointless drivel from 9-12

Muireann is super hyper like a child after eating 5 chocolate bars

Then the afternoon & evening is rounded off with Fergal Darcy & Matt Cooper

Amazing how 2fm are level with them for overall weekly ratings aint it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

gamecube wrote: »
    Today FM really needs a major shakeup in 2018

Ian Dempsey & Gift Grub are gone super stale

Dermot & Dave talk pointless drivel from 9-12

Muireann is super hyper like a child after eating 5 chocolate bars

Then the afternoon & evening is rounded off with Fergal Darcy & Matt Cooper

Amazing how 2fm are level with them for overall weekly ratings aint it!

He is one of the most annoying presenters I have ever heard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Today FM related, Ian and Anton reunited!

https://www.carzone.ie/carzshow/episode-one

threein99 wrote: »
    He is one of the most annoying presenters I have ever heard

Fetgal Darcy is what is termed colloquially as an egit where I’m from an annoying one at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

just listened to Dermot and Dave's whole show for the first time since August.

thought they used to be good?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MetaQ

nice_guy80 wrote: »

That's a fairly common misconception. Maybe they should get that woman on to laugh while she's telling a story? Again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    just listened to Dermot and Dave's whole show for the first time since August.

They dont really suit the morning slot at all - they were a good laugh in the midday slot, havent really listened to them at all since they moved

Advertisement