Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

reg114 wrote: »
    Youre probably right but it'll just be another nail in the Todayfm coffin.
    Or maybe Paula and Fergal will be on together at 1 to 4.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I actually don't mind Fergal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Never Say Never Again

Has louise duffy done any daytime cover work since her demotion to evenings ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Has louise duffy done any daytime cover work since her demotion to evenings ?

Nope as she’s trying to be a fashion blogger or influencer now - I’d say it would be muireann if they want to bump the female presenters up or give it to a ‘name’ or celeb

She claims it wasn’t a demotion but her ratings on both afternoon slots slipped and Ferg increased the evenings -// I must say Ferg has got a bit more bearable lately - I’d rather have him 12-4.30 ahead of Paula

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Lads, Alison Spittle was on the breakfast show this morning.....she mentioned she studied radio in ballyfermot or somewhere, and she knows yer wan shauna (entertainment person) as they worked together on the radio in Athlone...jaysus...could it be ????...they wouldnt, would they?? no...they couldnt .... could they????? in the new year... a new announcement...everyone's favourite female comedian...coming to an airwave near you!!.... surely not!!!!???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭statto25

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Lads, Alison Spittle was on the breakfast show this morning.....she mentioned she studied radio in ballyfermot or somewhere, and she knows yer wan shauna (entertainment person) as they worked together on the radio in Athlone...jaysus...could it be ????...they wouldnt, would they?? no...they couldnt .... could they????? in the new year... a new announcement...everyone's favourite female comedian...coming to an airwave near you!!.... surely not!!!!???

Id vomit on the spot if that's announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Nerdlingr wrote: »

Well they have set a precedent of hiring unfunny comedians with speech impediments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,960 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Bring back Al before Alison. Jaysus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭robo

Just putting it here cos it hasn't been posted in a while -
    Bring Back Anton :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

robo wrote: »
    Just putting it here cos it hasn't been posted in a while -
    Bring Back Anton :P

Bring Back Kate Fitzgerald.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭lambayire

Only problem with Anton was that his ratings were tanking.

Could never quite figure out why. The show was really good.
    I do wonder if the lack of chat about his family was an issue with listeners.
    He was the total opposite of Darcy in that sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I miss Anton. Since he has left, the whole station has nosedived, imo. It was a solid lineup all day and diverse as well whereas now we seem to have 5 tunes played all day and a very narrow opinion base.

I'm spending more time listening to other stations now as one show seems to be a carbon copy of the next show.

I'll probably hang on till I see who gets the early afternoon show but, tbh, I'm not very hopeful of anything other than the same old same old:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,175 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I said earlier in the thread that when Dunphy left the Last Word 15 years ago it was the start of the end for Today FM. It was correctly pointed out to me that the station was only 5 or 6 years old at that stage.

What I meant was that at the start Today FM was different. And Dunphy on The Last Word epitomised that. Granted Matt Cooper wasnt as much a liberal PC whingebag back then as he is now, but he was still a fairly 'safe' option as a replacement.

Back then, The Breakfast Show was fresh, Gift Grub was original and funny.

D'Arcy's show was really good for a few years (I'd say 2001-2005) - it was different, a bit of craic, the interaction by text was new. Then he had to make sure he didnt offend his producer/wife and started turning into a boring, moaning old man who just wanted to use his show as his own personal soapbox. (BTW, IMO Anton was a huge improvement on D'Arcy and I couldnt figure out why his figures dropped as much as they did).

Tony Fenton was cheese personified but he had a brilliant knowledge of music and regularly played some really good stuff you wouldnt hear elsewhere. And this was during the day. Just look at the tribute album they brought out when he died with his favourite stuff.

Tom Dunne's show could have been compared to Dave Fannings on 2FM in the 90's and he was a good host for that type of show. As is McCloone now. But these days I doubt that people aged 15-25 would listen to this show like that demographic would have in the 90's or 2000's. The proof if Ed Fcukin Sheeran selling out 28 shows in Ireland or whatever it is.

10 years ago I used to listen to Today FM from 7:30 until around 10 at night most weekdays. Now I might listen to 15 minutes of the Breakfast Show, 20 minutes of Fergal D'Arcy and a half hour or hour of the Last Word, especially when they talk Sport.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I moved away from 2FM to Today FM 20 odd years ago for the same reason as I no longer listen to Today FM now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Id rather have Paula Mac over spittle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,242 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Today fm for all its faults on the weekdays, does have some very good presenters on the weekend including the brilliant Kelly Anne Byrne and Ed Smith and Nadine O Regan on Sunday. It's not as if it's complete muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Just thought I’d share this tonight. Was in the Dublin area today visiting relatives. Was stuck briefly with Alison Bloody Curtis for a while leaving home lasted about 10 minutes before I commenced radio silence until after Kildare. Started fiddling with the dial then and found Nova. Really enjoyed it I have to say bit of a throwback to the Today FM of old with a good mix of music old and new and DJs who seemed ok. Was in and out of the car a lot And at no stage felt like changing. I’m sure those of you based in Dublin area will be quick to find fault with it but compared to Curtis Muireann D&D playlist it was miles better. Would love it to become national. Even 4fm which I heard briefly on the way home has a better playlist than Today FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

“Ferg” is coming on to D&D’s show shortly with some “really exciting” news about himself. Hmmmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

JoeA3 wrote: »
    “Ferg” is coming on to D&D’s show shortly with some “really exciting” news about himself. Hmmmm...

Oh dear god....

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Oh dear god....
    Matt Cooper will eventually get the 2.30 to 4.30 slot and Louise Duffy going to the 4.30 to 7 slot, the way things are going now with everybody moving earlier in the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭nc6000

What was the announcement? Is Fergal D'Arcy taking over the Al Porter slot?

• Advertisement

Matt Cooper will eventually get the 2.30 to 4.30 slot and Louise Duffy going to the 4.30 to 7 slot, the way things are going now with everybody moving earlier in the day

if it meant Paul McLoone moved earlier.....I wouldn't mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

nc6000 wrote: »

Don't think he's been on yet (though I might have missed it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

No, he hasn't. Brace yourselves...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

nc6000 wrote: »

If Fergal is entering Al's slot we could have another scandal on the cards !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭lambayire

Well if he is getting the Noon slot, we'll be switching over to Nova even earlier now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Phewww, his news is he's playing a part in Spamalot, a Monty Python musical

Looks like Fergal is doing a musical.

STAND DOWN, STAND DOWN, THIS IS ONLY A DRILL:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Looks like Fergal is doing a musical.

STAND DOWN, STAND DOWN, THIS IS ONLY A DRILL:P

Best of luck to him

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Just changed the thread title, the original one is dated now, and this basically is a thread for general TodayFm discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,175 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Today fm for all its faults on the weekdays, does have some very good presenters on the weekend including the brilliant Kelly Anne Byrne and Ed Smith and Nadine O Regan on Sunday. It's not as if it's complete muck.

Agreed. The best 3 shows on the station.

I actually dont mind Phil Cawley on Saturday mornings (an hour or 2 a week of Phil is just about grand!) and Neil Delamere's show on Sundays is alright too.

Advertisement