Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,242 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

A panel on the The Last Word is reviewing the events of 2017. Along with Matt Cooper, there's Lise Hand and two other journalists whose names I didn't catch. The bias they are showing is extraordinary. Their discussion of Donald Trump consists of mockery and grandstanding. Criticizing Trump's election catch cry, one of them said that America has never been great for anyone except white men - an extraordinarily ignorant statement. There's no attempt to weight his faults (of which there are many) against his successes, such as tax reform. It's sad that the Irish media is so biased when discussing Trump. It does not serve its readers.
    success singular. He's been in office nearly a year and on December 22nd he got his first legislative victory. That hardly a great year to ge honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    success singular. He's been in office nearly a year and on December 22nd he got his first legislative victory. That hardly a great year to ge honest.

Yes, Trump has not had a great year. But he's had more than one success. Here's a few others:

1. He successfully nominated a conservative judge to the Supreme Court and similar judges to lower courts

2. His rhetoric on excessive immigration and increased funding for immigration control measures seem to have had an effect on immigration. It has reduced significantly

3. He pulled the US out of the Paris Climate Agreement and has rolled back excessive environmental legislation

4. He has passed legislation making it easier for veterans to access benefits

5. He has pulled out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership

Some here may say that these are not achievements to be proud of. But that is beside the point. Trump can only be judged according to what he promised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,808 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A panel on the The Last Word is reviewing the events of 2017. Along with Matt Cooper, there's Lise Hand and two other journalists whose names I didn't catch. The bias they are showing is extraordinary. Their discussion of Donald Trump consists of mockery and grandstanding. Criticizing Trump's election catch cry, one of them said that America has never been great for anyone except white men - an extraordinarily ignorant statement. There's no attempt to weight his faults (of which there are many) against his successes, such as tax reform. It's sad that the Irish media is so biased when discussing Trump. It does not serve its readers.

Matt seems unable to hide his contempt and hate for Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,960 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yes, Trump has not had a great year. But he's had more than one success. Here's a few others:

1. He successfully nominated a conservative judge to the Supreme Court and similar judges to lower courts

2. His rhetoric on excessive immigration and increased funding for immigration control measures seem to have had an effect on immigration. It has reduced significantly

3. He pulled the US out of the Paris Climate Agreement and has rolled back excessive environmental legislation

4. He has passed legislation making it easier for veterans to access benefits

5. He has pulled out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership

Some here may say that these are not achievements to be proud of. But that is beside the point. Trump can only be judged according to what he promised.

Number 3 is an achievement?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

pjohnson wrote: »
    Number 3 is an achievement?

He said he would do it if he was elected. He was elected. He did it. Hence it is an achievement. You can disagree with him, of course, on the merits of it.

This, however, is not a thread about Trump and his record. Rather, it is about Today FM. My original point was the bias shown by Cooper and his panel. He, like the overwhelming majority of the Irish media, covers American politics from the point of view of liberal Democrats. He rarely if ever tries to understand the Republican point of view. He has Cal Thomas, a conservative commentator, on the show once per week. But Cooper and Marianne McKowen, the liberal commentator, usually join forces to scoff and snipe at whatever he's saying.

Outside of American politics, I find myself getting tired of Cooper generally. He's increasingly shouty, interrupting his guests with silly 'man-in-the-street' observations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I absolutely agree with you. I wish current affairs presenters would go back to being presenters, not pundits. I'm not naive enough to think that any TV or radio station can or will be neutral. But I'd rather hear balanced arguments and make up my own mind. The world is a worse place because of partisan biased media which spouts unverified garbage and downright lies.

I don't like how Matt and Marion shout Cal Thomas down either. I don't necessarily agree with his viewpoints but I'm always interested in what he has to say. Unlike most other Conservative/Republican/Trump people who come on the show, he doesn't come across like an escapee from a loony bin. He should have the right to express his opinions, even if the other pair don't agree with him. Like many people, I think Trump is vile and still can't believe he's the president of the United States. I'd rather he wasn't simply dismissed as an ignorant buffoon though. We deserve more than that from our presenters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Never Say Never Again

People are looking at today fm of yesteryear with rose tinted glasses, the OReilly/Hardy managment had became extremely lazy from about 2006, they didn't care as they were living off the fat that dempsey and darcy were bringing in so they did insane things like replacing Foley on the blast with tim kelly which resulted in ratings falling by 85%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That new darcy chap is pretty bad too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

That new darcy chap is pretty bad too
    Fearghal?

Its almost Today fm's 20th birtday, january 5th 1998 the station was born from the ashes of radio ireland. Movin on up by M=people was the first song played by Mark Byrne on the breakfast show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It's almost Today FM's 20th birthday, January 5th 1998 the station was born from the ashes of Radio Ireland. Movin on up by M People was the first song played by Mark Byrne on the breakfast show.

For the sake of accuracy for those who are not familiar with the history of the station, Radio Ireland was launched on March 17th (St. Patrick's Day!) 1997 and was renamed and relaunched as Today FM on January 1998. Also, again just for clarification, Mark Byrne's show had already started in December 1997 in its last month as Radio Ireland.

Fearghal?

Yeah

Declan, just to test you on radio trivia, can you remember what was on Today Fm in the 5/7AM morning slot for the first few months of 1998?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Declan, just to test you on radio trivia, can you remember what was on Today Fm in the 5/7AM morning slot for the first few months of 1998?

I actually don't know! Continuous overnight music? If you had asked me who did the original 5am to 7am slot on Radio Ireland, I would have answered Bill Hughes!

It was a repeat of the last word from the previous night :-)

I remember the first gift grub I heard was a cookery show with David Bowie and Bertie. That with berties catch phrase "gift" was the origin of the name I guess :)

Someone from the sindo tweeted this morning congratulations to Vouge Williams for new radio gig but the tweet was deleted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Someone from the sindo tweeted this morning congratulations to Vouge Williams for new radio gig but the tweet was deleted

I for one can’t wait! I just hope I finish her book in time for her first show!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

If this is true Muireann is punching her fist through some plasterboard as we speak!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭statto25

Jesus thats nearly worse than the Spittle theory a few pages back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I for one can’t wait! I just hope I finish her book in time for her first show!

:rolleyes:

I'm nearly finished colouring it in today...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

If that's true it looks like I'll be going back to turning off the lunchtime show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

If true, it's yet another case of not looking for genuine radio talent with a genuine interest in radio. This whole hiring "celebs" seems to be the way to attract the "youth" to radio now. Sod those that have come out of media/journalism courses with degrees or even masters, who want to get into radio.

Someone from the Sindo tweeted this morning congratulations to Vogue Williams for new radio gig but the tweet was deleted

If it's true, it makes a lot of sense. The station proved by hiring Al Porter that being a competent radio presenter isn't important. Vogue's exactly the sort of vacuous media "personality" they'd love to have on their books. I'm not quite sure what she does but she has managed to make a name for herself.

Trebor176 wrote: »
    If true, it's yet another case of not looking for genuine radio talent with a genuine interest in radio. This whole hiring "celebs" seems to be the way to attract the "youth" to radio now. Sod those that have come out of media/journalism courses with degrees or even masters, who want to get into radio.

Have the youths really changed that much in recent years? Back in the day, DJs and presenters became stars because they were good at what they did and connected with their audience. Maybe they're not listening to radio as much now because the product they're being offered is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Have the youths really changed that much in recent years? Back in the day, DJs and presenters became stars because they were good at what they did and connected with their audience. Maybe they're not listening to radio as much now because the product they're being offered is awful.

A lot of radio stations now seem to be celebrity mad. Whether it be all this celebrity gossip news, like one of the Kardashians chipping a nail while out shopping, or something like that, or hiring some 'celeb' with no previous radio experience, as it would seem to be more appealing to the youth than just a DJ.

Maybe the DJs of today just aren't up to the standards as their older counterparts, who, as you say, became stars. Not all of them, though. Maybe a good number of the older, more settled DJs are on the stations that don't necessarily cater for the youth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Can't see her working 'full-time' in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Maybe the DJs of today just aren't up to the standards as their older counterparts, who, as you say, became stars. Not all of them, though. Maybe a good number of the older, more settled DJs are on the stations that don't necessarily cater for the youth!
    Being a DJ used to be about 'personality' and a genuine interest in music.
    People used to start off in radio and then get on tv.
    Now kids do a course and think it entitles them to a job in radio.
    Anyone can have their 5 mins of fame online/on tv.
    The characters with staying power just aren't around anymore.

In fairness vouge has worked as a dj before and she used to have a show on phantom fm. People will also be happy that a woman got the job.

• Advertisement

A lot of radio stations now seem to be celebrity mad. Whether it be all this celebrity gossip news, like one of the Kardashians chipping a nail while out shopping, or something like that, or hiring some 'celeb' with no previous radio experience, as it would seem to be more appealing to the youth than just a DJ.

Is it though? Or has some focus group decided that all young people are interested in is what the Kardashians posted on Instagram this morning. There was always showbiz gossip on the radio but it has reached epidemic proportions. I also wonder how much of this "gossip" is new to the listeners tuning in. They've all got access to the same social media feeds as the presenters.

DJs always moved on when their time came. I'm certainly not advocating the return of DJs who were popular on 2FM 25 years ago. But until relatively recently, decent presenters used to be employed on radio stations. Now they're not and instead we're getting celebs.

Advertisement