Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Synode wrote: »
    Missed it, what happened

They were talking about this Nollaig na mban, and at the end she says something along the lines of get a box set for your husband when the guest says or a Dyson, let's see a modern man handle one of those. I'm paraphrasing obviously but along those lines. Was a good interview otherwise but that let them down.
    Pulled up on it very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The Last Word has gone to the absolute dogs. I’m very very very close to tuning out for good. The current favoured fill-in, Susan Keogh, is just not suited to the gig at all and that’s being generous.

I had it on yesterday on my commute home. The “6 at 6” where this week we have the bizarre situation where one newsreader is leading the other newsreader about the “6 stories” one at a time! So Jane, a dog crossed the road today? Yes Susan, that’s right, a dog did cross the road today. Multiply that inane exchange by 6. What will they do when there’s 7 big stories to talk about? The 7 at 6? Not quite as catchy.

Then it’s the turn of the sports news and Susan has to lead each sports headline too. And we all know that this is way outside her comfort zone so why do it? Just let the sports guy read the headlines ffs. Idiotic! “So Phil, Arsenal v Chelsea tonight...”

By the time all this fake banter is done and we’ve had yet another pointless traffic update and another competition update, it’s nearly 6:30 and time for the news headlines again!!

Jesus, it is so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

JoeA3 wrote: »

Then it’s the turn of the sports news and Susan has to lead each sports headline too. And we all know that this is way outside her comfort zone so why do it? Just let the sports guy read the headlines ffs. Idiotic! “So Phil, Arsenal v Chelsea tonight...”

Jesus, it is so bad.

Sure doesn't she get to head off early when she's covering on a Friday; John Duggan gets left to do the last word on sport between 6-7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

The Last Word has gone to the absolute dogs. I’m very very very close to tuning out for good. The current favoured fill-in, Susan Keogh, is just not suited to the gig at all and that’s being generous.

I had it on yesterday on my commute home. The “6 at 6” where this week we have the bizarre situation where one newsreader is leading the other newsreader about the “6 stories” one at a time! So Jane, a dog crossed the road today? Yes Susan, that’s right, a dog did cross the road today. Multiply that inane exchange by 6. What will they do when there’s 7 big stories to talk about? The 7 at 6? Not quite as catchy.

By the time all this fake banter is done and we’ve had yet another pointless traffic update and another competition update, it’s nearly 6:30 and time for the news headlines again!!

Jesus, it is so bad.

listented to her a couple of times when she started covering, seemed like a last word does loose women and came off as a bit feministy and sjw'y like Cooper is, is she still that way or has she improved

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Jesus, it is so bad.
    It really needs Matt back last week. Count your blessings you missed the discussion from shortly after 5:30 about January 6th.

The 6 at 6 from what I can tell is 6 minutes of news at 6..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'm getting sick of Matt too and I never thought I'd say that. I used to like that his show was less stuffy than Radio 1 and that he asked the hard questions of his guests. Now his bias shines through and we're hearing more about his opinions and more about his wife and family. It's turning into an utter mess and I don't tune in so often now :( As a listener, I want to hear both sides of an issue and to make up my own mind. There is far too much partisan media out there and I'm afraid the Last Word is yet another casualty of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,960 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Keogh is just a train wreck. Infinitely underqualified for the role. Just about above Porter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Sure doesn't she get to head off early when she's covering on a Friday; John Duggan gets left to do the last word on sport between 6-7.

Yes that’s exactly why I thought the exchange between herself and the sports guy last night was faintly ludicrous.

So Phil, big night for the Gunners tonight then?
    Yes Susan, you’re right, big night for the Arsenal!

It’s alan partridge Esque, which is funny considering the station is trying desperately hard to be cool with the kids.

They used to have the likes of Anton Savage and Hugh Linehan and then Gavin ? who were all very able and competent stand ins... in fact I think I’d prefer any one of those over Cooper. But sadly the station / DO’B has fallen out with them all! So we have this Transition year radio effort instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Yes that’s exactly why I thought the exchange between herself and the sports guy last night was faintly ludicrous.

So Phil, big night for the Gunners tonight then?
    Yes Susan, you’re right, big night for the Arsenal!

It’s alan partridge Esque, which is funny considering the station is trying desperately hard to be cool with the kids.

They used to have the likes of Anton Savage and Hugh Linehan and then Gavin ? who were all very able and competent stand ins... in fact I think I’d prefer any one of those over Cooper. But sadly the station / DO’B has fallen out with them all! So we have this Transition year radio effort instead.
    the 6 at 6 really does treat the listeners as idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I've jumped across the water - moved the dial all the way to LBC. James O'Brien on from 10-1, its a great show. Well worth a listen if you can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Haven't been listening much since before Christmas, has Muireann been announced officially as the presenter from 12-2.30 or is it still up in the air

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Haven't been listening much since before Christmas, has Muireann been announced officially as the presenter from 12-2.30 or is it still up in the air

I think it's the same case as before Al Porter was appointed - she'll just be filling in until a new presenter is appointed. So, I think at the moment, it's still up in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

No she hasn’t... but kfc are sponsoring “lunchtimes on Today FM” again So they may let well enough alone if there making money from it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Listened to Lost in Music with Louise Duffy last night, to see how long it would take before she made a mistake or emmmmmed or ahhhhhhed....
    she ****ed up her first sentence in her intro!!!....awful awful presenter. dunno how she got the gig. she can barely string two words together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Listened to Lost in Music with Louise Duffy last night, to see how long it would take before she made a mistake or emmmmmed or ahhhhhhed....
    she ****ed up her first sentence in her intro!!!....awful awful presenter. dunno how she got the gig. she can barely string two words together.

a minor "celebrity" due to who she's married to maybe.....tbf her music selections fine but her inane "banter" with the news team is annoying...she kinda sounds like the lame dorky aunt who read NME or Hot Press and thinks she's a music guru

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

a minor "celebrity" due to who she's married to maybe.....tbf her music selections fine but her inane "banter" with the news team is annoying...she kinda sounds like the lame dorky aunt who read NME or Hot Press and thinks she's a music guru

She does pick a few good tracks in fairness to her, but she cant present for peanuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

a minor "celebrity" due to who she's married to maybe.....
    Maybe not.
    She was a dj before she started a relationship with her husband.

Addle wrote: »
    Maybe not.

thought it was a traffic update reporter,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Addle wrote: »
    Maybe not.

Not sure about that as she definitely used to do the traffic on Dempsey’s show for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    She does pick a few good tracks in fairness to her, but she cant present for peanuts.

I would imagine she’s given a tight playlist from which to choose. I would seriously doubt she’s picking the playlist wholly independently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Ed Smith did a fantastic Bowie tribute show last night. This show is a beacon of hope in Irish radio unmissable every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Louise Duffy used to play much better Indie/Rock when she first started doing Lost in Music but now it's mainly generic music with the occasional indie/alt etc song thrown in, I doubt she has much say anymore in what she plays

I think Cormac Battle also deserves a bit of recognition for his show on Friday nights (unless they got rid of it) anytime I listened he always played superb dance and rock songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭mikep

Whoever is doing the scheduling this week should be shot as Muireann followed by Paula Mc is mind numbing and shows that they are both the same...same intonation, constant inane chatter and no clue about music..if they are the future today FM is doomed.

mikep wrote: »
    Whoever is doing the scheduling this week should be shot as Muireann followed by Paula Mc is mind numbing and shows that they are both the same...same intonation, constant inane chatter and no clue about music..if they are the future today FM is doomed.

Spotify looks so much better daily now, at work we invested in it , since today fm has slid down fairly fast

Paula actually has managed it by being Someone who is more annoying than Ferg D'Arcy, and then shrill Matt Cooper after her...Today FM has gone to the dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

New lunchtime presenter being announced on Dermot and Dave shortly

threein99 wrote: »

Please not Vogue or Allison spittle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Jesus it better not be her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,946 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

threein99 wrote: »

I remember driving back from wexford when they announced Al Porter to much surprise and jubilation.

They might be a bit more measured this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Or Muireann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭statto25

Todayfm twitter confirm its Muireann

Advertisement