Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

The music today was quite mixed between old and new. For example, the Jackson 5, ABC was played. I don't remember the other older songs that were played, though. It was great that Paul McCloone played Blue Monday '88 yesterday morning. The best version of that, which Today FM only seem to play :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

IUA14 wrote: »
    It is indeed, she was over at 98FM as Assistant PD for a year or so while Foley was there.

Thats sad that Ann is leaving Today FM...doubt you would find anyone with a bad word to say about her. Since Foley she hasn't been used on air in the same way but she was good with Louise Duffy, and easily one of the funniest women on Irish radio!

So new Today FM head honcho...nixed the idea of Foley returning, ended Friday Night 80's and Friday Night 90's, have Hector a show, gave Alison Curtis a second weekend show, axed Anton, moved D&D from lunchtime where they belong...hmmm...not much faith in what the new lunchtime show will be...
    They currently seem hell bent on a path to destruction by alienating every listener as soon as possible and achieving a target audience of 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

Wasn't Ann studying psychology or physical something or other? Remember her saying it a few times. Perhaps she's got a job in the real world. Can't imagine Today FM being a barrel of laughs right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Badabing wrote: »
    I got a email from Today Fm today, survey about their music, shows, presenters etc... Obviously getting views from listeners on how to improve. Will they listen tho.

Look at question 21!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Mc Love wrote: »
    Look at question 21!!!

For those of us who didn't get it, what's question 21?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I can't get back in to it now but it had a list of all current presenters and you had to tick one of these options for each -

Fun, Good sense of humour, Genuine, Energetic, Young, Old, Intelligent, Boring

There may have been one or two more options. You could only pick one for each presenter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭prunudo

I can't get back in to it now but it had a list of all current presenters and you had to tick one of these options for each -

Fun, Good sense of humour, Genuine, Energetic, Young, Old, Intelligent, Boring

There may have been one or two more options. You could only pick one for each presenter

Surprised at the young old option, really does seem like they're trying to prompt the recipient into saying the station is aimed at the wrong age group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I said boring for Curtis

• Registered Users Posts: 47 wherearemykeys

thesaurus2 wrote: »
    Wasn't Ann studying psychology or physical something or other? Remember her saying it a few times. Perhaps she's got a job in the real world. Can't imagine Today FM being a barrel of laughs right now!

Ann and 11 others were made Redundant by Today FM. A very tense time in Today FM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Ann and 11 others were made Redundant by Today FM. A very tense time in Today FM

Really? Where are you getting your info?

I see a job advert, for what looks like Anns old job, which is very much not allowed if she was made redundant?

http://www.todayfm.com/WANTED:-Join-Our-AwardWinning-Programming-Department

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Any list of the others left go?

One assumes Communicorp are bringing Today FM and NT closer together... Would explain the Senior PD role too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

statto25 wrote: »
    I see Ann Gleeson is leaving Today FM on Friday. There must be no room for her with the two lads taking over mid morning. She wasn't everyone's cup of tea but I really enjoyed her when Foley was on lunchtime especially her Una Healy impression.

I really enjoyed Ann especially when she was on with Louise in the afternoon. They were kind of chalk and cheese (like I could see myself having a pint with Ann, but not Louise)...always thought the show should be called Ann & Louise.

She's one of the few radioheads that are not up their own a**e!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Really? Where are you getting your info?

I see a job advert, for what looks like Anns old job, which is very much not allowed if she was made redundant?

http://www.todayfm.com/WANTED:-Join-Our-AwardWinning-Programming-Department

You can if you change the criteria of the role(experience , education , hours etc) or the seniority level (remuneration , demote it etc )

Quick observation on Today FM...it has always been by station of choice since I was in college...and by-and-large I could listen to it from morning to night. A big part of its success was its consistency...for years it was Dempsey, D'arcy, Foley, Fenton, Cooper and while 2FM was beginning to falter and chopping and changing that line-up remained and only changed out of necessity...when Foley left KC came in...when Fenton was battling cancer Duffy came in, when D'arcy left Anton came in...all internal appointments really...they had all been with the station prior and got their chance and took it.

The impression I got of Today FM by and large was it was a pretty close knit, radio family that showed, and valued, loyalty. Ann there for 13 years (and beat cancer during that time), Shauna similar, Dempsey, Pamela and Gavin Blake, Mairead Ronan (Farrell), Adelle, Paul Collins, John Duggan, Susan Keogh, Phil Cawley, Yvonne on reception....countless others spending most of their career there. Their people seemed to go above and beyond for the station, and even Foley saying recently he still has an affinity for the station and a certain love for it. Now it seems all that has changed and new management is upending everything, loyalty is out the door and they are skewing younger and will rely heavily on opinions, social media and focus groups...which the Chief Exec seemed to do at 98FM...worked well there... Maybe it will work...I doubt it though and I would not be surprised to see others leave. As a consequence of all this Dan Healy may be made to look a damn site better than he actually is over at 2FM.

Quick observation on Today FM...it has always been by station of choice since I was in college...and by-and-large I could listen to it from morning to night. A big part of its success was its consistency...for years it was Dempsey, D'arcy, Foley, Fenton, Cooper and while 2FM was beginning to falter and chopping and changing that line-up remained and only changed out of necessity...when Foley left KC came in...when Fenton was battling cancer Duffy came in, when D'arcy left Anton came in...all internal appointments really...they had all been with the station prior and got their chance and took it.

The impression I got of Today FM by and large was it was a pretty close knit, radio family that showed, and valued, loyalty. Ann there for 13 years (and beat cancer during that time), Shauna similar, Dempsey, Pamela and Gavin Blake, Mairead Ronan (Farrell), Adelle, Paul Collins, John Duggan, Susan Keogh, Phil Cawley, Yvonne on reception....countless others spending most of their career there. Their people seemed to go above and beyond for the station, and even Foley saying recently he still has an affinity for the station and a certain love for it. Now it seems all that has changed and new management is upending everything, loyalty is out the door and they are skewing younger and will rely heavily on opinions, social media and focus groups...which the Chief Exec seemed to do at 98FM...worked well there... Maybe it will work...I doubt it though and I would not be surprised to see others leave. As a consequence of all this Dan Healy may be made to look a damn site better than he actually is over at 2FM.

The best lineup they ever had was Dempsey -> D'Arcy -> Foley -> Fenton -> Cooper -> KC -> McLoone. That truly was a lineup where you could listen to the station for the entire day.

I agree with your point on the station seeming like a family. Take Ray D'Arcy for instance. It's come out since he's left that he wasn't really close with people there, but that, to everyone involved's credit, never really came across on air. Ray Foley ripped the piss out of him on air a lot, but it mostly came across as good natured ribbing, sort of like Foley was the kid-brother still skulling pints with the lads, and D'Arcy was the older brother who now had a kid and was more responsible.

It's hard to see how this sort of vibe could be rebuilt in the short-term, and with the way media is going in general, it's hard to see it ever being recreated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The best lineup they ever had was Dempsey -> D'Arcy -> Foley -> Fenton -> Cooper -> KC -> McLoone. That truly was a lineup where you could listen to the station for the entire day.

Best Line up was when Phil Cawley, Eamon Dunphy and Tom Dunne were included above...without Foley, Cooper, KC, McLoone

Why cant they just have a safe pair of hands on in the afternoons...like Phil Cawley (just a normal radio show!!)

Best Line up was when Phil Cawley, Eamon Dunphy and Tom Dunne were included above...without Foley, Cooper, KC, McLoone

Why cant they just have a safe pair of hands on in the afternoons...like Phil Cawley (just a normal radio show!!)

Dunphy? Jaysus. Have to say I agree with wnolan on the best, and most successful line-up the station has had.

FYI Today FM making a ''big announcement'' next week about the lunchtime slot. I would expect D&D might make it on Monday morning. *please not Hector*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

Speaking of Eamon Dunphys last word, when Matt Copper took over from Dunphy, ratings went severely off a cliff, it was probably the biggest fall ever seen in radio ratings at that time but Willie O Reilly stood by Matt Copper and did everything in his power to turn things around and it did after about 3/4 years. Very different management now when you think about it.

Two very good posts there IUA and wnolan, you've pretty much nailed it.
    I doubt they'll ever be able to reach that close knit family vibe again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Cawley bleugh. I'd rather listen to Spotify than his cheesy ramblings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭geotrig

wnolan1992 wrote: »

I agree with your point on the station seeming like a family. Take Ray D'Arcy for instance. It's come out since he's left that he wasn't really close with people there, but that, to everyone involved's credit, never really came across on air. Ray Foley ripped the piss out of him on air a lot, but it mostly came across as good natured ribbing, sort of like Foley was the kid-brother still skulling pints with the lads, and D'Arcy was the older brother who now had a kid and was more responsible.

It's hard to see how this sort of vibe could be rebuilt in the short-term, and with the way media is going in general, it's hard to see it ever being recreated.

I tend to disagree a bit ,while D'arcys show was very close nit and felt relaxed with itself maybe a superiority type thing :pac:,I always got the impression that himself and Ian never got on well and as said even Foley taking the piss slightly confirmed it as well, on the few occasions where they, Ian and Darcy interacted /handed over, it felt very awkward/tense at times, so to me it was no great surprise to hear he wasnt hugely liked close with people

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnthonyCny

Dempsey really bucked off with management anyways

AnthonyCny wrote: »

Why, what did he say?

Ian mentioned the departure of some staff this morning, and seemed a bit miffed by the whole thing.

Paul McCloone has said that this morning marks the end of the 9-12 slot in the format that has been there forever. So that means that Dermot and Dave will do their Dermot and Dave thing come Monday.

He is now playing a few tunes for the three staff from the 9-12 slot who are being shown the door today.. He sounds genuinely saddened by their departure.

Sounds like a shít place to work. So different to the way the working vibe in the station used to come across in Darcys peak days and Foleys days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

jvan wrote: »
    Why, what did he say?

I believe it might be to there's a few of the staff being cut since D & D are moving in - Ann and a few more of the 9-12 staffs last day is today according to MCLoone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

I believe it might be to there's a few of the staff being cut since D & D are moving in - Ann and a few more of the 9-12 staffs last day is today according to MCLoone

Yeah, I'd say it's the redundancies. Killian Murray and Niamh Hassell and Ann Gleeson gone, and other staff being moved to weekend from what I've heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I'd say there's tears in the office right now

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Surely if Today Fm are culling staff especially from Anton's former show then it would suggest the redundancies are just part of an overall restructuring that started with Anton's sacking?

Alternatively, maybe management are taking his resignation as an opportunity for wholesale changes behind the scenes?

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    I'd say there's tears in the office right now

As much as I feel for them, I'm surprised this bit of self indulgence has been allowed to go ahead by management

Surely, the latter part of the show should have been an interview with Dermot and Dave or something, rather than playing sad songs and mentioning Dermot and Dave as an afterthought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Could have given a mention to Anton there as they were wrapping up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭lambayire

did Ray get a mention there by Pam?

I wasn't listening 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Nope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭mikep

They are obviously getting away from the chat/music type format that has been in place..McLoone mentioned it every 1/2 hour or so..
    I suspect D+D are going to do the same thing as the girl and the westlife guy on 2FM.
    As I mentioned previously it'll be interesting to see how long it lasts as TFM don't have the taxpayer writing cheques as 2 FM do..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

lambayire wrote: »
    did Ray get a mention there by Pam?

I wasn't listening 100%
    Where is Pam moving to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

AnthonyCny wrote: »

Well he's in a position to speak his mind.

So the ''big announcement'' being made about lunchtimes next week...I would guess that is may be someone established from outside bringing their own team in perhaps given they just cleared out the entire production crew of the 9-12 slot and with D&D's crew following them to midmornings, lunchtime is an empty canvas.

As forgetting away from formats, Dermot and Dave won't be copying 2FM, they will do the show they always have really.

So the ''big announcement'' being made about lunchtimes next week...I would guess that is may be someone established from outside bringing their own team in perhaps given they just cleared out the entire production crew of the 9-12 slot and with D&D's crew following them to midmornings, lunchtime is an empty canvas.

So is Pamela gone as well then ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So is Pamela gone as well then ?

Staying with the station it seems but maybe moving to produce another show...maybe Allison Curtis at weekends?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭lambayire

Don't think she's gone.

There was on mention of it anyways.

Staying with he station it seems but maybe moving to produce another show...maybe Allison Curtis at weekends?

Today fm is becoming the donald trump of irish radio. A disaster that can't seem to get out of it's way. It's a crying ****ing that Ann Gleeson and the others being shafted. I've not listened to today fm since before Anton left. I wonder will the third hour of today's show not be put up on the listen back ?

• Advertisement

Despite everything...they are playing some cracking music today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Laughed out loud so many times because of Ann. Her voice popping up now and again in the background saying exactly the kind of things the listener was thinking. Her faded laughter in the background and her brave cancer battle. Gutted for her. She was sent from billly to jack on that station and always managed to fit in. Hopefully she'll pop op somewhere again, maybe with Anton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

anna080 wrote: »
    Laughed out loud so many times because of Ann. Her voice popping up now and again in the background saying exactly the kind of things the listener was thinking. Her faded laughter in the background and her brave cancer battle. Gutted for her. She was sent from billly to jack on that station and always managed to fit in. Hopefully she'll pop op somewhere again, maybe with Anton.
    Some other people would say she's the unlucky penny that keeps turning up.
    Just think about how many shows and how many hosts she was involved with and how many of them got moved/cancelled/left?

Foley=Left
    Darcy=Left
    Louise=Moved/Demoted
    Anton=Sacked
    She also made a cameo on D&D two weeks before it was announced they were moving also.

There's only one common denominator there and it's Ann, anyone involved in the media would do well to steer clear and not associate themselves with her.

Did I miss anyone?

Just think about how many shows and how many hosts she was involved with and how many of them got moved/cancelled/left?

Foley=Left
    Darcy=Left
    Louise=Moved/Demoted
    Anton=Sacked
    She also made a cameo on D&D two weeks before it was announced they were moving also.

There's only one common denominator there and it's Ann, anyone involved in the media would do well to steer clear and not associate themselves with her.

Did I miss anyone?

Load of utter nonsense! Ann was off sick with cancer when Foley left, and Today FM stood by her, had that not happened she would have most likely moved with Foley...when they stood by her like that she prob felt she owed them to go back not just feck off. So the last few years after she went back she was working with Louise and then Today FM began chopping and changing things up and she moved from Louise earlier this year to work with Anton who got booted...I think the common denominator is Today FM management...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Foley=Left
    Darcy=Left
    Louise=Moved/Demoted
    Anton=Sacked

Did I miss anyone?

Jesus, you have to be on a wind up ?

Just to say, the lineup I listed wasn't necessarily my personal favourite. For me, Tom Dunne was much better than McLoone, but I think the lineup I listed was the most consistently listenable across the entire day.
    geotrig wrote: »
    I tend to disagree a bit ,while D'arcys show was very close nit and felt relaxed with itself maybe a superiority type thing :pac:,I always got the impression that himself and Ian never got on well and as said even Foley taking the piss slightly confirmed it as well, on the few occasions where they, Ian and Darcy interacted /handed over, it felt very awkward/tense at times, so to me it was no great surprise to hear he wasnt hugely liked close with people

Oh I agree with you totally here. That's why I added the caveat "mostly" when I said it didn't come across on air. I remember one specific instance where D'Arcy was doing a world record attempt (think it was haircuts) and it ran on after 12pm. After the news Foley saw D'Arcy outside the studio and started calling him in to give an update. D'Arcy came across as being really uncomfortable being there.

But, I stand by saying it mostly didn't come across on air. I think, unless you are like us on this forum and listen to radio differently to most people (in that we (sometimes over) analyise what presenters say and read into every little thing, and will pick up on stuff that more casual listeners* just won't.

On the staff cuts, I'll just say one thing to play devil's advocate. Maybe the management are taking the view that the staff they have left go (namely Ann) were mainly in their jobs out of loyalty, as a vestige of that family atmosphere from years ago. Maybe they want to build their own thing without the hangover of "the old guard" sitting in the corner going "This isn't how it used to be..."

Finally, here's one of my favourite Ann Gleeson moments. "I feel dizzy!"

*Christ, I'm a real twat sometimes...

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Foley=Left
    Darcy=Left
    Louise=Moved/Demoted
    Anton=Sacked

Did I miss anyone?

Did you know that Justin Bieber lowers cholesterol but Facebook raises it?

enhanced-buzz-14835-1365541178-5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

_feedback_ wrote: »
    As much as I feel for them, I'm surprised this bit of self indulgence has been allowed to go ahead by management

Surely, the latter part of the show should have been an interview with Dermot and Dave or something, rather than playing sad songs and mentioning Dermot and Dave as an afterthought!
    They're on with D'Arcy atm so I doubt they would have been allowed to go on both shows, a bit overkill really.

So do we know who's taking over the 12-2:30 slot then ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Ryaner179

Reading through this thread shows how OTT and out of touch so many of you are in regards to what people want on radio today.

Advertisement