Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Really disappointed for Dara Quilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Really disappointed for Dara Quilty.

LOL.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    LOL.
    Will not be listening to the new lunchtime show (if you want to, feel free). Tracy Clifford it will be. In fact, I think Tracy Clifford's listening figures are going to soar.

statto25 wrote: »
    Todayfm twitter confirm its Muireann
    Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I'll be listening to her show anyway. My choice of radio I can listen to are pretty bad so I'll be sticking with Today fm for another few years

• Advertisement

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I'll be listening to her show anyway. My choice of radio I can listen to are pretty bad so I'll be sticking with Today fm for another few years
    Who is getting the 6-9pm Saturday slot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Happy for muireann, fair play to her.

Iv listened to her since she has been on phantom, she filled in for Alison Curtis back then and did a great job as a predominately talk show host, got the best out of the guests.

I can understand what people have said about her being a bit over the top - fair enough, but it seems that everyone presenting on today fm has been told to hype things up, that's what it is like from 5am. There is no real connection with the public anymore unless it's a competition or some sort of funny story. Whatever you say about Ray D'arcy, his show always seemed to anchor the radio station to the public and create some kind of community. It doesn't exist anymore and I'm pretty sure the presenters are told just to get on with it.

Looking forward to listening to Muireann and I hope she gets to put her own personality into it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Delighted for Muireann. She absolutely deserved it. Delighted they went with an actual DJ and not a quasi celeb who once pushed play on a Spotify playlist.

Loughc wrote: »
    Delighted for Muireann. She absolutely deserved it. Delighted they went with an actual DJ and not a quasi celeb who once pushed play on a Spotify playlist.
    Well most of her shows are talking with music now and then. She's not much different from Ian, D&D or Fergal.

Oh, and would she play you a bitta Mötörhead if you rang in and asked her?! Happened today on 98FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Well most of her shows are talking with music now and then. She's not much different from Ian, D&D or Fergal.

Oh, and would she play you a bitta Mötörhead if you rang in and asked her?! Happened today on 98FM.

Let it go man. Listen to 98 if you like Quilty that much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Muireann :D. Good for her. I wonder will the show change much or remain as it is now. Gonna be weird to make a big deal about starting a new show when she's been doing it for nigh on 2 months already.

Synode wrote: »
    Let it go man. Listen to 98 if you like Quilty that much
    I will, it's my favourite station.

Muireann :D. Good for her. I wonder will the show change much or remain as it is now. Gonna be weird to make a big deal about starting a new show when she's been doing it for nigh on 2 months already.
    I think it's possible they wanted a different presenter for the slot, but couldn't get them. Eoghan McDermott would've been good in the slot.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I think it's possible they wanted a different presenter for the slot, but couldn't get them. Eoghan McDermott would've been good in the slot.

You’d imagine Eoghan McDermott is happy with his 2fm and Rte gig. He gets handy tv work from rte as well. He wouldn’t leave that handy number for a failing todayfm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Who is getting the 6-9pm Saturday slot?

Dara Quilty :p

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

You’d imagine Muireann will be off next week with Joe Donnelly maybe covering since they made a whole deal of launching the new show on Jan 22nd and not just continuing on as is.

Delighted for her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

will she be continuing with the tv gig?

Loughc wrote: »
    You’d imagine Eoghan McDermott is happy with his 2fm and Rte gig. He gets handy tv work from rte as well. He wouldn’t leave that handy number for a failing todayfm.
    Eoghan did use to have a weekend show on SPIN 1038 (another Communicorp station).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Most journalists and presenters see RTE as the end goal. How many of them have we seem and heard on independent stations, only to pop up again on RTE. That's where the big money is. It's usually only big names such as Ian Dempsey and Pat Kenny whove been lured the other way. And even then, it was part of a strategy for the stations to increase their profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,240 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Most journalists and presenters see RTE as the end goal. How many of them have we seem and heard on independent stations, only to pop up again on RTE. That's where the big money is. It's usually only big names such as Ian Dempsey and Pat Kenny whove been lured the other way. And even then, it was part of a strategy for the stations to increase their profile.

Yeah RTE is the jackpot because unless you are an almighty gob****e you have a job for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

Well done to her. Never really listen to Today FM but she's put the work in over the years and that's to be respected. Seems a very likeable person too. All the best to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Alicano wrote: »
    Well done to her. Never really listen to Today FM but she's put the work in over the years and that's to be respected. Seems a very likeable person too. All the best to her.

This. She seems genuinely delighted to have got it, unlike Al Porter who seemed to be off every other week.

Did Muireann ever have a solo prime time show on 98FM, or was she only ever on evenings, Saturday mornings and as a sidekick to Ray Foley?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Did Muireann ever have a solo prime time show on 98FM, or was she only ever on evenings, Saturday mornings and as a sidekick to Ray Foley?

No, but she's done plenty of cover on her own.

Write a letter to TodayFM if you're so annoyed about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Faugheen wrote: »

HOW DARE YOU NOT GIVE IT TO GOD DARA QUILTY

Faugheen wrote: »

I'm just asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,240 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm delighted that muireann has gotten the show permanently. It was the obvious choice and thankfully today fm made a good decision this time around. Ive been listening to muireann since foley and JP went to 98fm and yes she is enthusiastic but to listen to her on the podcast only parts, she's clearly a very grounded and nice person.

Also her reaction to minister for children katherine zapone during an interview on TV3 made me like her even more. She showed a human side not seen that often.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'm delighted that muireann has gotten the show permanently. It was the obvious choice and thankfully today fm made a good decision this time around. Ive been listening to muireann since foley and JP went to 98fm and yes she is enthusiastic but to listen to her on the podcast only parts, she's clearly a very grounded and nice person.

Also her reaction to minister for children katherine zapone during an interview on TV3 made me like her even more. She showed a human side not seen that often.
    Obvious and predictable have a similar meaning, you know, but congrats to her anyway. Maybe Dara Quilty will get a show on Today FM next time a vacancy arises.

I'm just glad it's not Hector who got the slot. Cannot STAND him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

pjohnson wrote: »
    HOW DARE YOU NOT GIVE IT TO GOD DARA QUILTY

Don’t forget Lucious Laura Whitmore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yeah RTE is the jackpot because unless you are an almighty gob****e you have a job for life.

But its not a job, you are self employed.

Advertisement