Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

As far as I understand it, some have the permanent, pensionable jobs. Some don't and are indeed self-employed. I've no idea what they pay people on TV3 or the independent news stations but I'm pretty confident it's less than RTE.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I'm just asking.

But you never raised these questions about Al Porter when he was taken on yet you seem to be a fan of him (his radio work, not the rest of it)?

Muireann has bundles of experience at local, and national level for nearly 15 years both on her own and as part of a team.

If Dara Quilty had gotten this job you wouldn't question his far inferior inexperience to Muireann, so why does Muireann get the brunt of it? You've made it very clear you don't like her and you're trying to find holes in TodayFM's decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Faugheen wrote: »
    But you never raised these questions about Al Porter when he was taken on yet you seem to be a fan of him (his radio work, not the rest of it)?

Muireann has bundles of experience at local, and national level for nearly 15 years both on her own and as part of a team.

If Dara Quilty had gotten this job you wouldn't question his far inferior inexperience to Muireann, so why does Muireann get the brunt of it? You've made it very clear you don't like her and you're trying to find holes in TodayFM's decision.

The fact Quilty appeals to fans of Porters probably made it far less likely he would be approached for the gig.

If the powers that be on 2FM or Today FM wanted Quilty, they'd have offered him a job by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I think Al was poached from RTÉ.

• Advertisement

Poached would be too strong a word.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I think Al was poached from RTÉ.

...and?

If Porter had *allegedly* managed to keep his hands to himself he would still be on air. He only has himself to blame.

...and?
    Just saying. I've noticed there are a lot of former 98FM presenters in "Big School" now. Dermot and Dave, Muireann, Declan Pierce. Possibly others.

If the powers that be on 2FM or Today FM wanted Quilty, they'd have offered him a job by now.
    Look how long Dermott and Dave were on 98FM.

• Advertisement

That has always been the way. Nothing unusual about it at all.

It's worth bearing in mind that Al was away half the time and Muireann was standing in for him a lot anyway. His ratings didn't tank and it's arguable that they stayed where they were because she was on so much .

Look how long Dermott and Dave were on 98FM.

So?

That has always been the way. Nothing unusual about it at all.

It's worth bearing in mind that Al was away half the time and Muireann was standing in for him a lot anyway. His ratings didn't tank and it's arguable that they stayed where they were because she was on so much .
    I think her profile rose because she was on so much. Well done to her. Not that she had no experience, but 2017 was the year she really became a national star.

Good for her. It's her ball to drop now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Mikey are you DQ’s agent or what? You’re a one man crusade for the guy, it’s really bizarre.

How do you even know he wants a job on Today FM? Maybe he’s happy wherever he is and wouldn’t particularly thank you for speculating on his career aspirations. Does he know you laud him so much?

I have visions of that Alan Partridge episode where he meets his #1 fan...

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Mikey are you DQ’s agent or what? You’re a one man crusade for the guy, it’s really bizarre.

How do you even know he wants a job on Today FM? Maybe he’s happy wherever he is and wouldn’t particularly thank you for speculating on his career aspirations. Does he know you laud him so much?

I have visions of that Alan Partridge episode where he meets his #1 fan...
    I'm not sure if he does or not. He's doing a good job on TBRH and I enjoy his show. More so than any of the Today FM weekday team. Unlike the 2FM drivetime show which is mostly talk, not my cup of tea. I preferred Eoghan McDermott when he was on XFM and played more music, I'm sure there are thousands of Londoners and Mancunians who miss him terribly. Another presenter I like is that guy who does "Top 40 Oifiguil na hEireann" on SPIN, I believe he used to be Phantom's station voice as well. A great bilingual presenter with good speed links. I like Brian Maher also.

Addendum: used to think his name was "Ifigule McClaren" when I was younger, misheard the lyrics in the jingle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Declan Pearce has gotten Saturday’s from 6-9 doing a dance and hip hop show. Taking on the electric disco

I'm not sure if he does or not. He's doing a good job on TBRH and I enjoy his show. More so than any of the Today FM weekday team. Unlike the 2FM drivetime show which is mostly talk, not my cup of tea. I preferred Eoghan McDermott when he was on XFM and played more music...

Be careful what you wish for. If Quilty was to be given a show on Today FM, there is no guarantee that it'd be like the Big Ride Home. He'd most likely lose any autonomy he had regarding the music he played and he'd be asked to talk more. For all we know, Eoghan McDermott might prefer to be presenting a show like his old one on XFM but that's not going to fly on 2FM. You do what you're told and you fit the formula that has been laid down. I've seen people comment recently that Louise Duffy's show isn't as good as it was and they feel it's down to those restrictive playlists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Declan Pearce has gotten Saturday’s from 6-9 doing a dance and hip hop show. Taking on the electric disco

It has not started yet because I head Tara Harrison on Today FM this evening presenting Saturday Night Hits or some such name. She said she was standing in for Muireann O'Connell of all people! Tara is another ex-TXFM presenter who has now turned up on Today FM.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's a bit up in the air at the moment as Declan Pierce was in for Louise Duffy last night and Phil Cawley this morning so wouldn't be doing a show tonight as well.

Shelley Gray was standing in recently on Saturday night hits but you're right, it was Tara Harrison tonight so I'm not entirely sure whose show it is atm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

Every thread on radio eventually turns to a discussion about Dara Quilty at some stage LOL!

I have never listened to the guy but I must find out what all the fuss is about!

I am not a fan of Muireann but she has deserves her shot at the 12pm time slot

It's up to her now to make a success of it

It has not started yet because I head Tara Harrison on Today FM this evening presenting Saturday Night Hits or some such name. She said she was standing in for Muireann O'Connell of all people! Tara is another ex-TXFM presenter who has now turned up on Today FM.

Yes I should have said that. It will be starting soon can’t recal the exact date but he was on Dermot and Dave Friday talking about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

gamecube wrote: »
    Every thread on radio eventually turns to a discussion about Dara Quilty at some stage LOL!

I have never listened to the guy but I must find out what all the fuss is about!

I am not a fan of Muireann but she has deserves her shot at the 12pm time slot

It's up to her now to make a success of it

and if she could just tone back the enthusiasm for random things, then she would be far more listenable

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    and if she could just tone back the enthusiasm for random things, then she would be far more listenable

She’s mentioned her an Pam drink 4/5 coffees per show and they are switching to tea now so that should help

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Think they might need at least a medium term replacement for Matt Cooper on The Last Word. Only a matter of time before he goes over the edge with his demented anti-Trump mania. The vacancy will depend on the length of the therapy or may be permanent if the damage is too great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,808 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

quintana76 wrote: »
    Think they might need at least a medium term replacement for Matt Cooper on The Last Word. Only a matter of time before he goes over the edge with his demented anti-Trump mania. The vacancy will depend on the length of the therapy or may be permanent if the damage is too great.

I've given up on TLW now. Had enough of Cooper.

It wasn't all his anti-Trump rantings, he just changed on many subjects. Seemed to get too opinionated, he is meant to argue from both sides whether he agrees with one side or the other.

Plus the show is half made up of news, sports news, weather and competitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

NIMAN wrote: »
    I've given up on TLW now. Had enough of Cooper.

It wasn't all his anti-Trump rantings, he just changed on many subjects. Seemed to get too opinionated, he is meant to argue from both sides whether he agrees with one side or the other.

Plus the show is half made up of news, sports news, weather and competitions.

Yeah, I find it's gone downhill a lot in the last few years. I would prefer a referee hosting the show rather than a participant but the show seems to be a series of opinion pieces instead of a dissection of current affairs.

Like Dunphy before him, a presenter seems to have a finite lifespan on this kind of show and I think Matt has reached the end of his with a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

quintana76 wrote: »

I think theyre trying to blood in susan keogh with thr 5@
    5 stuff, making her familar to the audience so that might be the replacement, whicj would be a poor move as listening to her shows in past were a loose wimen-sjw type show (not much difference to it now) i cant stand kimmage on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think theyre trying to blood in susan keogh with thr 5@
    5 stuff, making her familar to the audience so that might be the replacement, whicj would be a poor move as listening to her shows in past were a loose wimen-sjw type show (not much difference to it now) i cant stand kimmage on it and the ones he had on about the consent bit were bad

Well the consent bit is an absolute nonsense story that has been "trending" so I dont know how he was supposed to find any sane contributors for it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Have you lads read what happened with Ansari?

Advertisement