Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭prunudo

MrMac84 wrote: »
    They just announced it there and are playing the best bits from the last 20 years

The dumbing down of today fm continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Limerick91 wrote: »
    Seems like today's lunchtime news is the last one ever according to Paul Collins on Twitter
    What's happening instead? Don't they still have to have a certain amount of chat on the station?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭robo

I guess it will just be the usual few minutes of headline and no 15 minute slot.
    Sure isn't it more time they'll have to give to Muirean now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I’m guessing now the slot has been cut by 30 minutes from 12-2 not 2:30 they are giving Muireann the extra time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

What's happening instead? Don't they still have to have a certain amount of chat on the station?

I’d say the last word covers that on it’s own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

I don't normally read this thread, but just listened to the Lunchtime news there and also heard that it was the last one. I think it's a shame, it was a good news program, and I hate the new thing they do with the normal news of giving the headlines and then talking about them. They end up saying 'Coming up, news item 1, and then news item 2, and now, news item 1.' It just seems weird saying you're going to talk about something and then talk about it only 5 seconds later! It's the same with the 5 @ 5 and 6 @ 6 thing, Matt says a sentence, like 'Today a politician said something' and then the presenter says 'That's right Matt, today a politician said something'. It just seems so forced, why can't the newsreader just read the news?

Seems like a few changes recently in the news department. I noticed that the Sports News is now linked/done by Off The Ball.com, are all the Sport Presenters (who used to be Today FM employees I presume) now not working for Today FM, and are working for Off The Ball.com instead? And a few nights ago I was listening to the 8pm or 9pm news, and at the end they said that's it for today, be back tomorrow, and I was surprised that they no longer do news later than that.

Now, I don't listen to the radio as much as I used to, but it seems to be there are a lot of cutbacks happening around the news and sports?

Hope it doesn't get as bad a Nova, whose Sports news will tell you that 'Man U kicked off v City half an hour ago', but won't tell you the score, presumably because it's pre-recorded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

They just announced it there and are playing the best bits from the last 20 years
    End of an era

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

There were obviously far too many women on the National Lunchtime News for communicorps gender ratio so when Muireann got the lunchtime slot they had to call the herd to get things back in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I’d say the last word covers that on it’s own

That's what I thought too. That and the smattering of talk shows at the weekends.

My guess is that Today FM isn't quite sticking to its original terms and conditions anyway. If it was, we'd probably have country music shows and classical music programs. It's a very mainstream radio station which only deviates from the Top 40 format in the evenings and some of the weekend. Probably not what the BAI wanted at the start.

It does look like Communicorp is cutting down on its newsroom though. It's a shame but not particularly surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭santino

Just listened back to the Aziz Ansari consent podcast tonight from last week. Have to say I thought Matt handled the debate very well, and I haven't said that in a long time. However, I think Aoife Barry from the journal.ie came across very badly in the debate. I'll admit I haven't listened to a full show in a while (mostly down to the reasons highlighted by other people here) so I'm not sure what her form or other contributions have been like but when put to her by Matt that there were only accusations made against Ansari at that point by an unnamed person i.e. no proof, she took the line 'mmm well but...#metoo etc.' I felt she was being very one-sided, even at the start referencing Ansari's 'Indian-muslim' background when Matt asked her to explain who Ansari is. She might say that she was only giving context but was Mr. Weinstein referred to as a 'white jewish guy?' Not that I heard. I believe Race/Religion should not enter into these debates. Dangerous ground for someone on their high horse.

I thought the NUIG lecturer on the other side was a good contributer and made some very valid points mainly that there were probably wrongs on both sides as well as also having concerns about the magazine article not naming the woman in question 'because she is not a public figure'. Are public figures fair game?

Note. I am not that PC minded but I cannot stand hypocrisy. I tend to believe that the #metoo campaign has merits but, like many other causes, has the potential to be open to abuse. I've seen the impact of false allegations being made against innocent people. It's nasty, vindictive and has no place anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

It seems like this year could be bad for the Man brand. Along with the Anzarri report and another one on the Last Word last week, they also featured a study to see how many men would report a trafficked prostitute when her number was posted up on a notice board. Needless to say, the men were only interested in how much she cost. Ok, I get it, we're a bunch of assholes, don't rub it in!!!

Edit: I'm in no way suggesting that these issues should not be reported

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

santino wrote: »
    Just listened back to the Aziz Ansari consent podcast tonight from last week. Have to say I thought Matt handled the debate very well, and I haven't said that in a long time. However, I think Aoife Barry from the journal.ie came across very badly in the debate. I'll admit I haven't listened to a full show in a while (mostly down to the reasons highlighted by other people here) so I'm not sure what her form or other contributions have been like but when put to her by Matt that there were only accusations made against Ansari at that point by an unnamed person i.e. no proof, she took the line 'mmm well but...#metoo etc.' I felt she was being very one-sided, even at the start referencing Ansari's 'Indian-muslim' background when Matt asked her to explain who Ansari is. She might say that she was only giving context but was Mr. Weinstein referred to as a 'white jewish guy?' Not that I heard. I believe Race/Religion should not enter into these debates. Dangerous ground for someone on their high horse.

I thought the NUIG lecturer on the other side was a good contributer and made some very valid points mainly that there were probably wrongs on both sides as well as also having concerns about the magazine article not naming the woman in question 'because she is not a public figure'. Are public figures fair game?

Note. I am not that PC minded but I cannot stand hypocrisy. I tend to believe that the #metoo campaign has merits but, like many other causes, has the potential to be open to abuse. I've seen the impact of false allegations being made against innocent people. It's nasty, vindictive and has no place anywhere.

Bring the times contributors back, I’m sick of the overly pc, immature ones from the journal .ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭griffin100

I listened to the first hour of Matts show this evening and it really showed how far the quality has slipped and how right on PC it has become.

A piece of the collapse of UK construction company with Mick Barry, solidarity TD, who was allowed waffle about right wing outsourcing of school building projects. That's right Mick, the gubberment should be out bricklaying.

An unbelievable piece of snowflake bolloxology on Leo's suggestion parents might help their kids with a house purchase. Karl Dieter was visibly exasperated at the crap being spouted by a Journal.ie 'journalist.' I'm not sure if Matt considers the Journal as a serious news outlet or if that's all he's left with now that he can't speak to a whole cohort of journalists. Either way he's turning to them far too often for comment.

Finally a unfunny loud 'comedian' on how she feels upset about people's reaction to her decision not to have kids. Jesus Christ, is this what passes for a serious news item these days? Although this piece was linked to her TV3 'documentary' on the subject, and at this stage there's precious little difference between TV3 and Today FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

If Matt were to leave who would be a good replacement who would shake things up a little bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

gamecube wrote: »
    If Matt were to leave who would be a good replacement who would shake things up a little bit?

Cal Thomas probably. I think hes "Un-PC". Dunno if hes un-PC enough for those complaining here mind.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Dara Quilty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The Last Word has gone to hell. I think this ludicrous boycott of Irish Times contributors has seriously damaged it. Is this boycott likely to be permanent?!

Matt’s left with Journal.ie “interns” and the likes of Louise Duffy and Susan Keogh chirping in with vacuous crap. It’s scraping the barrel stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

We know it’s going to be Susan Keogh hence her appearing more and more on the show - she’d be better off with the interns and SJws in the Journal writing about ‘oppressions’ and the like

I heard he changed producers in the last year or so , wonder if that’s another reason for it’s change to overly pc-ness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Being honest, I'm not sure he's the entirety of the problem, the production staff need to have a long hard look at what they're passing off as a prime-time current affairs show though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I wonder will it affect the next JNLRs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

The two music reviewers on the Last Word are woeful...

If one likes X, the other doesn't etc etc

The other week talking about Dolores O;Riordain:

"She was the first Irish Female Rock Star"
    "I think Sinead O'Connor was out before The Cranberries"
    "oh yeah......"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Mentally ill woman on Dermot & Dave this morning who got married a 300 year old ghost. She sounded completely deranged. :confused: And all the texts & comments (at least the ones read out) encouraging her. It sounds like the tragic death of her newborn baby is what brought it on. She clearly needs help. Who decides to give someone like this airtime?

It's like the charlatan Medium that was on 'Ask Me Anything' a few weeks ago which pissed me off to no end.

zoobizoo wrote: »
    The two music reviewers on the Last Word are woeful...

If one likes X, the other doesn't etc etc

The other week talking about Dolores O;Riordain:

"She was the first Irish Female Rock Star"
    "I think Sinead O'Connor was out before The Cranberries"
    "oh yeah......"

Is this John Cadell and Nadine O'Regan?

2 very knowledgeable people when it comes to music...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,945 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

yep - but they don't work well together at all. And to be honest, as much as I like John, he has gone full "grumpy oul man knows best" lately

everlast75 wrote: »
    yep - but they don't work well together at all. And to be honest, as much as I like John, he has gone full "grumpy oul man knows best" lately

Yeah he always did have that touch about him. Good humour about him though

Era theyre better and less annoying than Gannon and the other fella who did the tv slot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,807 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah he knows his stuff ok.

Doesn't seem to know sinead o'connor though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,852 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I agree the Last Word has gone to pot. Used to listen for years, cannot seem to stomach it anymore. I leave on Newstalk from 4pm instead !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

griffin100 wrote: »
    I listened to the first hour of Matts show this evening and it really showed how far the quality has slipped and how right on PC it has become.

A piece of the collapse of UK construction company with Mick Barry, solidarity TD, who was allowed waffle about right wing outsourcing of school building projects. That's right Mick, the gubberment should be out bricklaying.

An unbelievable piece of snowflake bolloxology on Leo's suggestion parents might help their kids with a house purchase. Karl Dieter was visibly exasperated at the crap being spouted by a Journal.ie 'journalist.' I'm not sure if Matt considers the Journal as a serious news outlet or if that's all he's left with now that he can't speak to a whole cohort of journalists. Either way he's turning to them far too often for comment.

Finally a unfunny loud 'comedian' on how she feels upset about people's reaction to her decision not to have kids. Jesus Christ, is this what passes for a serious news item these days? Although this piece was linked to her TV3 'documentary' on the subject, and at this stage there's precious little difference between TV3 and Today FM.

It's, like, called a Doc nowadays :cool: she was one annoying eejit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

JoeA3 wrote: »
    The Last Word has gone to hell. I think this ludicrous boycott of Irish Times contributors has seriously damaged it. Is this boycott likely to be permanent?!

Matt’s left with Journal.ie “interns” and the likes of Louise Duffy and Susan Keogh chirping in with vacuous crap. It’s scraping the barrel stuff.

I totally agree. I stopped listening to the show last month. There were far too many opinion pieces on, a lot of them involving snowflake 'journalists' from theJournal.ie. There were too many click bait items as well, like 'cyclists versus cars/buses/Luas trams'. The show really has gone downhill.

Advertisement