Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I've tuned out this last few months as I'm not near a radio during the show. It's a nice break and I can tune in again, somewhat refreshed, to the show.

But I tuned in some night last week and it was just an opinion piece, as historybluff put it.

I'll be tuning in elsewhere in future, I'm just sick of being told what I should be thinking by presenters and guests on the show. What happened to allowing both sides to air their points and let the audience judge for themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It is underwhelming radio these days and I hope The Last Word get absolutely spanked come JNLR time. I never thought I'd say such a thing because it was a radio program I used to tune into come 4:30. I hope that that wider audience who listen to the show are also as annoyed, underwhelmed and frustrated as those of us posting here are. I am sick to the back teeth of presenters offering up such biased, one-sided tripe. Matt can sneer all he wants at Fox News. His radio show is now the liberal snowflake equivalent. I hope someone from his production team is watching this thread and isn't too far up his/her right-on backside to accept that some of us have brains and like to make up our own minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I wish they would cut down on the inane chat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Is this John Cadell and Nadine O'Regan?

2 very knowledgeable people when it comes to music...

Ah the good old internet can make anyone knowledgeable about a topic

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

What's with all the sidekicks lately? Dermot and Dave seem to have two and even Phil Cawley now too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I heard yesterday evening on Today FM that Paul Donegan (ex-TX FM) is a sound engineer with the station. I just had a look on his linkedin account and it seems he has been one for them since November 2014. I never knew that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Ah the good old internet can make anyone knowledgeable about a topic

you can say that about Louise Duffy and Paula Mac as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

you can say that about Louise Duffy and Paula Mac as well

Paula Mc trying to pronounce “Sade” a few years ago on Dempsey’s show springs to mind. Dempsey was in knots. She said she had never heard of her. It’s one thing not liking someone but to never have even heard of Sade and working in radio was :eek: Maybe if it was some niche genre station, but Bland FM? Come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Paula Mc trying to pronounce “Sade” a few years ago on Dempsey’s show springs to mind. Dempsey was in knots. She said she had never heard of her. It’s one thing not liking someone but to never have even heard of Sade and working in radio was :eek: Maybe if it was some niche genre station, but Bland FM? Come on.

Chris and Ciara 2FM are offenders too. Chris had never hear of Mike and the Mechanics in a piece they did a few months ago.

That's what happens when you hire "personalities" rather than people who are big into music...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd be more inclined its to do with hiring people under a certain age. Not all DJ's can be in thier 40's-50's

There are younger people who are really into their music too and would know such things

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Chris and Ciara usually play modern chart stuff, I don't think an encyclopedic knowledge of obscure eighties bands is required for their job.

Are Mike & the Mechanics really that obscure an 80s band though? Sure, they're not Duran Duran or Madonna but still... We're not in Half Man Half Biscuit territory here.

Are Mike & the Mechanics really that obscure an 80s band though? Sure, they're not Duran Duran or Madonna but still... We're not in Half Man Half Biscuit territory here.

I wouldnt call them obscure but I wouldn't know who on earth Sade was either until I wracked my brains.

Then again I also dont know wtf these 2FM DJ's are so maybe I should leave the 2FM thread......oh hang on.

How about this as a daytime schedule?
    05:00-06:30 Paula McSweeney
    06:30-10:00 Ian Dempsey
    10:00-13:00 Dermott and Dave
    13:00-16:00 Muireann and Fergal
    16:00-19:00 Last Word with Matt Cooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

You forgot Dara!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

Will the latest JNLR's next week be good or bad news for Today FM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Trebor176 wrote: »
    You forgot Dara!

You must have missed the memo - Dara is forgotten now. It's all about Brian Maher nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Duran......Duran? :)

• Advertisement

iseegirls wrote: »
    You must have missed the memo - Dara is forgotten now. It's all about Brian Maher nowadays.
    What do you think of the idea of Muireann and Fergal as a duo? Maybe we could call the Muirgal? Or Ferreann?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

No please not Muireann and Fergal together!!!!
    Can you imagine it???
    Muireanns show is extremely boring since she’s been made official in the job. It’s definitely lacking something.
    I really wish she would stop repeating words and phrases-it’s incredibly irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Whats going on with their 'cuirt me' ad?? The one with the two women talking about the same guy. "He went oonn and onn about it"...that one.
    I've noticed that if its on before 9 they cut out the bit about his beard "being a bit scruffy". Dont tell me they've got complaints over it ???!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Whats going on with their 'cuirt me' ad?? The one with the two women talking about the same guy. "He went oonn and onn about it"...that one.
    I've noticed that if its on before 9 they cut out the bit about his beard "being a bit scruffy". Dont tell me they've got complaints over it ???!!!

It probably offends people with beards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

EPAndlee wrote: »
    It probably offends people with beards

Woke Bae's are outraged:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I was in the wilds of Dublin recently and finally got to listen to this infamous Dara Quilty, i have to say WFT is all the fuss about. I wouldn't have him on an afternoon show on a local radio station in the middle of nowhere let alone Dublin or national.

His voice and delivery almost sent me to sleep.

I was in the wilds of Dublin recently and finally got to listen to this infamous Dara Quilty, i have to say WFT is all the fuss about. I wouldn't have him on an afternoon show on a local radio station in the middle of nowhere let alone Dublin or national.

His voice and delivery almost sent me to sleep.
    At least he's not Fergal D'Arcy or Hector.

I know how unpopular he was on here but I think Al Porter was brilliant on lunchtimes, I hope his resignation is only temporary. Would love to hear him back on the radio some day. I do not believe he groped anyone, innocent unless proven guilty. He always put a smile on my face whenever I got the chance to tune in to his show.

Al Porter was brilliant on lunchtimes, I hope his resignation is only temporary. Would love to hear him back on the radio some day. I do not believe he groped anyone, innocent unless proven guilty. He always put a smile on my face whenever I got the chance to tune in to his show.

Thank fúck Quilty was nowhere near the job then if he is your taste :pac:

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Thank fúck Quilty was nowhere near the job then if he is your taste :pac:
    They're not the same.

Advertisement