Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Is new emojis really a news topic?? Or the Kardashian wan having the most likes fit an Instagram pic

Truly it’s dumbing down

That photo broke the internet by getting 15 million likes so it's a pretty big deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Is new emojis really a news topic?? Or the Kardashian wan having the most likes fit an Instagram pic

Truly it’s dumbing down

Dear lord Louise , stop rambling with news team, just play the music
    Or changing their target audience.

I've kinda gotten used to being discarded with the last few years.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

No, the Kardashian stuff is for the brain-dead. That's not just a process of refreshing for younger generations. I was listening this evening to TLW - there was something vaguely interesting on when I got into the car so left it but from the godforsaken 6 at 6 onwards, the whole show was phoned in by Cooper. The contributors were poor - "review this film..." "ya, it was bad...no like really bad." "Anything else to add to that insight?" "Like it was really really bad."

On another topic, any word on how Ed Smith got on in the JNLRs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

EPAndlee wrote: »
    That photo broke the internet by getting 15 million likes so it's a pretty big deal

What time was the Internet broken??? Mine was working fine all evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭lambayire

No, the Kardashian stuff is for the brain-dead. That's not just a process of refreshing for younger generations. I was listening this evening to TLW - there was something vaguely interesting on when I got into the car so left it but from the godforsaken 6 at 6 onwards, the whole show was phoned in by Cooper. The contributors were poor - "review this film..." "ya, it was bad...no like really bad." "Anything else to add to that insight?" "Like it was really really bad."

On another topic, any word on how Ed Smith got on in the JNLRs?

I think I saw a tweet last mentioning that the show is up by 3,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

I really hope this is sarcasm, please please let it me sarcasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

What time was the Internet broken??? Mine was working fine all evening.

the internet in rural Ireland has never worked properly

its takes 45 minutes just to download the section of that picture that shows her ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

That reminds me, how did Louise do in the ratings? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

"Ferg" D'Arcy is one god awful one trick pony. On about 10p crisps and back-in-my-day I loved 10p crisps... again :rolleyes: This guy is local radio material... at best.

Seriously Ferg - change the bloody record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

JoeA3 wrote: »
    "Ferg" D'Arcy is one god awful one trick pony. On about 10p crisps and back-in-my-day I loved 10p crisps... again :rolleyes: This guy is local radio material... at best.

Remember back in the day when you had to physically change the record? Man, those were the days. I remember playing my U2 LPs and having to get up and walk over to turn it over to the B side. Text me in on 53102 and let me know which was your favourite LP to flip.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I remember when the whole "favourite Irish thing" on radio was actually a bit of fun. I was listening to the Ray D'Arcy show, oooo, 12 years ago when they were comparing Barry's tea bags to Lyon's. It honestly was a bit of craic, and D'Arcy's show was fun to listen to at the time.

But 12 years on and we're still talking about whether you fry your Denny rashers or grill them? This type of radio kicks off from 9am and ends when Matt Cooper comes on. Its incredibly lazy and beaten to death at this stage. Fair enough, do it around Paddy's Day or Christmas, but not all year round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Think that shtick is across the board on every station now.

Creating faux outrage and then getting people to contact them.

I really noticed it this year with Pancake Tuesday... every radio station and tv show showing us how to make pancakes (because we've forgotten how to across the year)... then it's a savoury v sweet debate or a crepe v american style....

When did pancake Tuesday become a thing - as in a national debate that moved from "will I get few pancakes / ingredients for the kids" to "If you're not making pancakes today then you're int the minority you freak!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Yes. What's wrong with just playing decent music and cutting back on the "banter"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Yes. What's wrong with just playing decent music and cutting back on the "banter"?
    It's called Spotify.

But seriously did you hear him read out the message yesterday live on air blowing his own trumpet once again, saying how he isn't you're generic Radio DJ as he has Dept!!!
    Jesus actually wept, he's 100% your generic DJ with generic DJ voice who needs his enormous ego massaged daily!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Merge his and Muireann's show, have them on from 1-4pm, they are so much stronger together. You could call it "The 1 O'Clock Show" :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I would be a fan of Muireann but today one Of The competitions was what am I eating for lunch today. Almost up there with a former presenters who had a competition of what am I thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I would be a fan of Muireann but today one Of The competitions was what am I eating for lunch today. Almost up there with a former presenters who had a competition of what am I thinking

I'd imagine it to be a pretentious lunch of some sort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

There is a reason why 2fm is beating Today fm in total daily ratings Monday-Friday

Like 2fm after Dan Healy arrived Today fm also needs a big shake up

It used to be the only station I ever listened to but now I rarely turn it on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

He’s Rubbish! Completely useless! With his put on accents and over announcing of the number 3! As soon as I hear that stupid intro i scramble to the dial to turn him off! He’s a culchie that should be on local radio somewhere! Not a national afternoon show. T-Bone is turning in his grave I’d guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Isn’t he absolutely dreadful?! Everything is “back in the day”. He’s built his career on that rubbish. And what’s with those stupid voices and over pronunciation he puts on?
    I get the impression too that Ed Smith get so embarrassed by the yawn inducing stories he comes out with.
    It’s awful radio-definitely not for the national airwaves.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    He’s Rubbish! Completely useless! With his put on accents and over announcing of the number 3! As soon as I hear that stupid intro i scramble to the dial to turn him off! He’s a culchie that should be on local radio somewhere! Not a national afternoon show. T-Bone is turning in his grave I’d guess!

• Advertisement

Her show is really bad.Its like she’s still doing temporary cover for someone else.
    I can’t see her lasting long in that slot. She’s hard work to listen to. She’s just so over the top and has the most irritating habit of repeating words and sentences over and over again. Her favourite words seem to be amazing and wonderful ! Everything and everyone is AMAZING and WONDERFUL!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Was driving yesterday during the day and I realised that I've nothing to listen to from 12pm until 4.30. 12 o clock is particularly bad as I'm not a fan of Muireann's at all and I don't like Ciara Kelly on Newstalk. Don't listen to Ian anymore as it's so stale and out of date now. I was looking at my twitter this morning and I noticed Mario sent a tweet to Keith Earls & Ronan O Gara which read "Loving Keith Earls new ad on New Radio Rog". Pretty sad I thought.

But the thing that's annoying me most about Today FM now is the news. I despise this 1 word headline thing they do at the top of the news and the way they always have to have some fluff news piece, typically involving the Kardasians or some goon like that.

Oh to be back in the days of Ian when he was still fresh, D'arcy when his show was a bit of craic, Foley, Fenton and Cooper, the golden era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Was driving yesterday during the day and I realised that I've nothing to listen to from 12pm until 4.30. 12 o clock is particularly bad as I'm not a fan of Muireann's at all and I don't like Ciara Kelly on Newstalk. Don't listen to Ian anymore as it's so stale and out of date now. I was looking at my twitter this morning and I noticed Mario sent a tweet to Keith Earls & Ronan O Gara which read "Loving Keith Earls new ad on New Radio Rog". Pretty sad I thought.

But the thing that's annoying me most about Today FM now is the news. I despise this 1 word headline thing they do at the top of the news and the way they always have to have some fluff news piece, typically involving the Kardasians or some goon like that.

Oh to be back in the days of Ian when he was still fresh, D'arcy when his show was a bit of craic, Foley, Fenton and Cooper, the golden era.

As you mention Gift Grub there, I started listening to it again this year via the podcast.

Since January 1st, in my opinion, there have been five top quality sketches. 5 really well written, genuinely funny, well put together pieces.

For me, it's sort of confirming my suspicion. Their insistence that GG be on 5 days a week has seriously diluted it. I don't think it's that Mario has "lost it" or whatever, I think it's just he's asked to produce too much content for it to be consistently high quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

PhoneMain wrote: »

This times a million!!
    Why the f*ck do they even do it? "coming up, Trump on gun laws, Ulster trial and cats stuck up a tree" and then two seconds later they read the news. Just read the news FFS , we dont need an introduction!
    Someone mentioned it on here before as well but Cooper's 6 at 6 is a load of rubbish too. So, lets talk about the news headlines for the next half an hour. they wipe about 20 minutes from the show with inane chat about news items. I dont know how many times they've had to cut short interviews or items because they're overrunning at 7 o clock.
    Also louise duffy doing the tv / films segment now. why? might as well just get some randomer off the street as take what she says seriously.
    Heard muireann doing her 'what am i thinking?' quiz earlier. God awful radio.
    Add this to Darcy as mentioned rehashing "what we had in the 80/90s" schtick.
    Paula McSweeney doing her name your 5 favourite chocolate bars.
    Breakfast show gone stale. D&D not suited to mid morning radio.

but besides all that its grand!!! :D:D:pac::pac::P

You have summed up Today FM perfectly in this post!
    The dumbing down of the news in my opinion is just a reflection of the close alliance that Today FM have with TV3. Let’s face it their news is so lightweight and lacking in any depth it’s a complete waste of time. It does make me laugh though the way that there was always snide comments about RTÉ staff moving between radio and TV-the exact same thing happens with Today FM AND TV3.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    This times a million!!
    Why the f*ck do they even do it? "coming up, Trump on gun laws, Ulster trial and cats stuck up a tree" and then two seconds later they read the news. Just read the news FFS , we dont need an introduction!
    Someone mentioned it on here before as well but Cooper's 6 at 6 is a load of rubbish too. So, lets talk about the news headlines for the next half an hour. they wipe about 20 minutes from the show with inane chat about news items. I dont know how many times they've had to cut short interviews or items because they're overrunning at 7 o clock.
    Also louise duffy doing the tv / films segment now. why? might as well just get some randomer off the street as take what she says seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,807 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lets see how long the gap is between articles on The Last Word.

Matt just finished a piece at 5:59 about school shootings in the US.

We'll see what time the next discussion starts at. I'll be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Oh no a Kardashian mentioned. Thats gunna trigger a lot here!

The motoring man is coming on.......it'll be >20mins anyway

And we're back on a topic....and its 6:22

So a 23min section of news, sports, traffic, weather.....too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    This times a million!!

That's very unfair......on some randomer off the street.

SHE'S BRUTAL. Her knowledge of TV/Films sounds like it's based on 30seconds of google research before the show, half of which she's forgotten before the segment starts.

Advertisement