Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Just listened to Louise duffys intro into her programme lost in music there...and once again she can't string two words together without making a mistake. Every single time.
    Can anyone recommend another radio station? I think im done with today fm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I find Today fm only gets good after the weekdays daytime sh!te. Been enjoying Declan Pierces show on Saturday evenings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Just listened to Louise duffys intro into her programme lost in music there...and once again she can't string two words together without making a mistake. Every single time.
    Can anyone recommend another radio station? I think im done with today fm.

8Radio.com.

I often be out in the car and I cover a lot of the Country, so Today FM would be my go-to radio station as i generally get a consistent and decent signal with very little cutting out or static.

I don't mind some of it. I actually quite like Fergal D'arcy (although i'd listen to the radio for a week, once every 5-6 weeks, so maybe he's just not over-exposed in my life. My opinion might differ if i was listening every day, all the time).

Anyway, one of the things that I find annoying is on Muireann's show. Last time i was listening properly was about 3-4 weeks ago. She spent most of her show talking about how people can't pronounce her name. Would make for a funny 3 minute skit, but it was kept going for a full week. :rolleyes:

The other thing that bugged me was her stupid competition (possibly called Brain Drain, but I'm open to correction on that). Name 5 things in 10 seconds. Making it impossible for a person to win by picking obscure random things that the average person wouldn't know (name 5 world war II battles, for example). Maybe if it was name 5 counties, or five car brands or such, but it was way too difficult.

Add to that, Dermot/Dave with their word guessing nonsense (A is a B C).

As a casual listener with little knowledge of the behind the scenes workings, it gives the impression that the station are strapped for cash and are afraid to give out money as prizes, so the competitions are made deliberately difficult.

It's hard to believe it's the same station that ran the 'you do the maps' contest with 10k being given away each week (maybe that's why they're reeling back with the cash give outs?! :P ).

You'd still miss Anton.

I've no interest whatsoever in sport, but I find Matt Cooper is alright for the first half of the show (before it turns to sport).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    As you mention Gift Grub there, I started listening to it again this year via the podcast.

Since January 1st, in my opinion, there have been five top quality sketches. 5 really well written, genuinely funny, well put together pieces.

For me, it's sort of confirming my suspicion. Their insistence that GG be on 5 days a week has seriously diluted it. I don't think it's that Mario has "lost it" or whatever, I think it's just he's asked to produce too much content for it to be consistently high quality.

How can Ian Dempsey breathe new life into the show?

Would he be really missed if Today fm replaced him?

The show is so stale now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Due to a change of job, I have been listening to the radio alot latley. What age is today FM aimed at these days? On the hourly news bulletins all day today, the headlines were..

CERTAIN HAIRCUT BANNED FROM SCHOOL

KYLIE JENNER TWEETS THAT SHE DOESNT LIKE SNAPCHAT

The same 10 chart songs played every single day. And the cheesy cheddar chat shows, how cringey. Today isn't the only one, 2fm is gone the same way. Horrifying stuff there's no national station aimed for the 30 -50 year olds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Posted before I read this thread, seems alot of people aren't happy with the news or radio in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Neil delamare gone now.

Announced on his twitter page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭blackbox

Posted before I read this thread, seems alot of people aren't happy with the news or radio in general.

... and a big mistake losing Anton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Neil delamare gone now.

Was he dropped? That’s a shame, his Sunday show was good, an under rated presenter imo.

Iv said it before, but he would’ve suited replacing Anton over D&D, considering D&D are obliged to conduct the the “serious” subjects, which just doesn’t suit their style. Delamare can seperate both serious and fun subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

How many times has today fm talked about Dermot Bannon this week? Must be 5 or 6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭mollser

Gosh I thought they'd see sense and give Neil the morning slot with d&d back to lunch. He was their last someway inteligible presenter even with one show a week. Station can be pretty good off peak time but day time awful.

Can't understand why all the stations are chasing the yoof market, the least likely to listen to radio. Big gap there for 30 to 50s as mentioned. Would love a crack at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

But seriously did you hear him read out the message yesterday live on air blowing his own trumpet once again, saying how he isn't you're generic Radio DJ as he has Dept!!!

Which department is that, exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

mollser wrote: »
    Gosh I thought they'd see sense and give Neil the morning slot with d&d back to lunch. He was their last someway inteligible presenter even with one show a week. Station can be pretty good off peak time but day time awful.

Can't understand why all the stations are chasing the yoof market, the least likely to listen to radio. Big gap there for 30 to 50s as mentioned. Would love a crack at it!

To be fair, that is what they're licenced for. It's not Today FM's call what demographic they target, they're contracted to provide a service to a particular group.

And assuming their licence was renewed last year on schedule, they've another 9 years to go targeting this demographic before there's any window of opportunity for change unless the BAI do something drastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

That's very unfair......on some randomer off the street.

SHE'S BRUTAL. Her knowledge of TV/Films sounds like it's based on 30seconds of google research before the show, half of which she's forgotten before the segment starts.

its like her music show, she wiki's something about the tunes to sound knowledgeable ...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It's a shame Neil is going, really enjoyed that programme, he was excellent filling in before Anton took over a few years ago, he'd be great in that 9-12 slot, but he has a lot of things in the air, it would probably be difficult for him to commit to it, like when Al Porter was presenting he wasn't there half the time, would probably be the same story with Neil, hope he pops up somewhere on radio in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Neil delamare gone now.

Was he dropped? That’s a shame, his Sunday show was good, an under rated presenter imo.

Iv said it before, but he would’ve suited replacing Anton over D&D, considering D&D are obliged to conduct the the “serious” subjects, which just doesn’t suit their style. Delamare can seperate both serious and fun subjects.

Will KildareJoe take the slot :eek::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'm sorry to see Neil leave as well. I don't know whether he'd have been a good fit for daytime Today FM but I used to enjoy him at weekends. Hopefully he'll do well in the future and that he's not going to hang up his headphones for good.

I'm obviously the minority, but I didn't like Neil Delamere. Found he became annoying swiftly trying to ram poor, drawn out jokes into the middle of conversations and such.

Few little laughs with him, but as a rule didn't enjoy him, and wouldn't miss him.

Is Hector still on TodayFM? That's a fella I always associate with Neil for some reason (perhaps cos they both do weekends) and a chap I can't stand at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Neil Delamare , hated his accent ... shallow but true.

• Advertisement

Dempsey .... drop the ' milestone music ' slot on tuesday .... cringeworthy , and his teenagerish ' men versus women.. which sex is better at whatever 'constant theme... take it to your therapist Ian .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Oops69 wrote: »
    Dempsey .... drop the ' milestone music ' slot on tuesday .... cringeworthy , and his teenagerish ' men versus women.. which sex is better at whatever 'constant theme... take it to your therapist Ian .

lets just have him doing nothing then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The way things go in this thread is that if Delemare got the 9-12 job, there'd be predictably the same uproar as to when D&D got it. Same has occurred for Muireann and Fergal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It's hard to know who'd be a good fit for that morning slot. It's not D&D though. They should have been left where they were or moved on into the afternoon. With all the comings and goings on that station though, they could do with some stability

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    lets just have him doing nothing then
    that would be a step up from the broken record he plays every morning .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Listening to Today FM all day to try and enter the 20 grand comp when they play 3 specific songs, I've had to listen to Fergal Darcy :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Dara Quilty to replace Delamare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

pjohnson wrote: »
    Dara Quilty to replace Delamare?

:P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

It's hard to know who'd be a good fit for that morning slot. It's not D&D though. They should have been left where they were or moved on into the afternoon. With all the comings and goings on that station though, they could do with some stability

Said it before but John McMahon should have given them 2FM Breakfast in 2010 when Colm and Jim Jim left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Isn’t he dreadful? He’s an absolute pain to listen to.
    threein99 wrote: »
    Listening to Today FM all day to try and enter the 20 grand comp when they play 3 specific songs, I've had to listen to Fergal Darcy :(

Advertisement