Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    On the age thing, I'm pretty much smack bang in the middle of the demographic they'd be aiming for now, assuming they're going for the 18-34's.

Granted, my taste probably skews a few years older because (and I don't know how to phrase this without sounding like a pompous twat, but hey, y'all are used to that at this stage) I'm "in to" radio and listen a lot, but Today FM currently just doesn't do it for me on any level. I like Muireann, I like D&D, I like Matt Cooper and Ian Dempsey, but I don't like any of their shows enough to actually regularly listen.

Like, if they were doing well listener wise, I'd fully be willing to say "Yeah, it's just not for me." 2FM is a prime example here. Apart from Eoghan McDermott and possibly Tracy Clifford, none of 2FMs shows are what I would listen to. But they've been gaining listeners steadily, so I can at least appreciate that they're appealing to someone.

Similarly, the likes of Spin SW and the other regional youth stations. Not all of it appeals to me, but from an objective standpoint I can stand back and say "Yeah, they're doing some good stuff there. They know their market and appeal to it well."

I dunno, I think it's too simplistic to just say "We're too old.", I think if Today FM was producing good stuff that just wasn't for us, we'd be able to stand back and say "Yeah, that's alright, it's just not for me."
    Speaking of Eoghan McDermott, I used to like him (XFM UK and early shows on 2FM) but there is just too much talk on his drivetime show and it just doesn't interest me. I listen to 98FM when he is on. Whereas Tracy Clifford plays more music and I listen to her quite often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Speaking of Eoghan McDermott, I used to like him (XFM UK and early shows on 2FM) but there is just too much talk on his drivetime show and it just doesn't interest me. I listen to 98FM when he is on. Whereas Tracy Clifford plays more music and I listen to her quite often.

There is far too much talk on all these shows. I have no problem with DJs talking on their programs - it's what differentiates them from the automated stations of this world. But it has gone to the extremes. More music, less talk would be nice, thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 scrimpinsave

Is that it? That is hardly sticking the boot in if you ask me. Did he call them names or something?

If that is the truth it would explain why the station is doing so bad now though. I would much prefer him to any of the DJs they have on after 9am at the moment. I don't know is that because of the target audience. I'm 30 so I'm not a youth anymore I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Is that it? That is hardly sticking the boot in if you ask me. Did he call them names or something?

If that is the truth it would explain why the station is doing so bad now though. I would much prefer him to any of the DJs they have on after 9am at the moment. I don't know is that because of the target audience. I'm 30 so I'm not a youth anymore I'm afraid.

In addition to my summation in that post, he also criticised D&D on the podcast. Said that when he was at Today FM, "D&D were a byword for bad radio."

He also basically said the same as we're saying here in the last few posts at one point, that "Today FM isn't the station [he] left anymore." and he also said he had a Christmas card from a higher up in Today FM basically saying "Looking forward to having you back." from the Christmas where he left 98.

It was also highly suggested that he had a falling out with Adelle (former Asst. PD at 98 when he was there and current Head of Programming at Today FM). He never mentioned her by name, so it might not have been her, but it was heavily implied that she put an end to his potential return to Today FM.

Now, as I said in that original post, it's important to bear in mind that all the info we have is from Ray's perspective. So make of it what you will.

Either way, I reckon it probably wasn't the best thing to do to put it out there, and maybe I'm wrong, but I've a feeling that that more than anything led to NTN's death and purge from the internet.

He's on Twitter @rayfoleyshow I just set up an account and asked him about it. Hopefully he'll come back and we'll see what he says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

Ray Foley drives down to Cork sunday night for his Red FM breakfast show, stays in an apartment there until Friday afternoon, packs up his stuff, drives to Dublin to do the 6 o' clock show then goes home for 2 nights until he has to drive to Cork again sunday evening

That to me is a bit of a s**t life, leaving your family for most of the week to live in Cork on your own, but I suppose the bills have got to be paid since no other Dublin based Radio station took him on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

gamecube wrote: »
    Ray Foley drives down to Cork sunday night for his Red FM breakfast show, stays in an apartment there until Friday afternoon, packs up his stuff, drives to Dublin to do the 6 o' clock show then goes home for 2 nights until he has to drive to Cork again sunday evening

That to me is a bit of a s**t life, leaving your family for most of the week to live in Cork on your own, but I suppose the bills have got to be paid since no other Dublin based Radio station took him on.

It is a choice he made and there are many others doing the same in many other professions.

It is a choice he made and there are many others doing the same in many other professions.

I wouldn't like to put words into his mouth but I'm sure he would much rather be working in Dublin and sleeping in his own bed at night. Once you've got family commitments and a roof to keep over your head, your choices diminish. Long-term what he's doing is unsustainable and if he doesn't get regular work in Dublin, I could see him getting out of the DJing scene altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Jesus, what a fall from grace that would be. The number 1 presenter in the Country 5 years ago

I wouldn't like to put words into his mouth but I'm sure he would much rather be working in Dublin and sleeping in his own bed at night. Once you've got family commitments and a roof to keep over your head, your choices diminish. Long-term what he's doing is unsustainable and if he doesn't get regular work in Dublin, I could see him getting out of the DJing scene altogether.

Absolutely Ursus. Can you imagine if Eoghan McDermott had stayed in London? He'd have had to fly to Dublin on Sunday evening, fly back at the weekend and fly back again the following week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Was €20k won ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Spot on and I think the fact he went back and did a masters in journalism confirms that idea too.

He even recently said on RedFM he was surprised by how much fun he has having as he wasn’t sure if radio dj’ing was something he wanted to do anymore and if he was any good at it anymore.

I don’t think it’ll be long before the king will leave the radio building once and for all. I can’t see him staying at Red for longer than 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Mac-Chops

Was €20k won ?

Just heard the ad played again there, so I assume not.

Listened all day yesterday, (as I'm sure many did!) convinced I was going to win :)

Dermot & Dave...the divils!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭CarlowPerth

Loughc wrote: »

Spot on and I think the fact he went back and did a masters in journalism confirms that idea too.

He even recently said on RedFM he was surprised by how much fun he has having as he wasn’t sure if radio dj’ing was something he wanted to do anymore and if he was any good at it anymore.

I don’t think it’ll be long before the king will leave the radio building once and for all. I can’t see him staying at Red for longer than 4 years.
    Have you listened to his Cork show? He is absolutely smashing it and is the best he has sounded since the good days of the lunch time show. He has gone there and proved he is a talent, Dublin radio is not for him but I would say 2fm have him ear marked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,239 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm convinced there is something in that building that turns one presenter into a Darcy clone. I've had more opportunity to listen to Matt Cooper this week and Jesus h Christ he is extracting the urine even worse then previously. He seems permanently angry and offended on someone else's behalf.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Have you listened to his Cork show? He is absolutely smashing it and is the best he has sounded since the good days of the lunch time show. He has gone there and proved he is a talent, Dublin radio is not for him but I would say 2fm have him ear marked.

Listen it it? I love it. I listen to the podcasts everyday.

I think he’s a great talent. But I feel he’s going to pack it in soon just to be done with his family soon. Nothing wrong with that.

2fm won’t give him a slot as long as they are beating todayfm in the ratings.

Dan Healy could have brought him to 2fm but he didn't

I remember him being quoted in the sun saying he wouldn't bring him to the station

But if I was him i would bring him in, start him out in the 11am-1pm weekend slot that Chris & Ciara are doing poor radio on, then after a while cut Nicky & Jenny 1 hour to 10am-12pm, cut Tracy Clifford 1 hour so her show runs from 2pm -4pm than that would leave 12pm -2pm for a Ray Foley lunchtime return on the national airwaves!

Loughc wrote: »
    Listen it it? I love it. I listen to the podcasts everyday.

I think he’s a great talent. But I feel he’s going to pack it in soon just to be done with his family soon. Nothing wrong with that.

2fm won’t give him a slot as long as they are beating todayfm in the ratings.

I think a return to Today FM is more likely than a move to 2FM to be honest, and here's for why:

Breakfast Republic is doing well in the ratings. It's beating Ian Dempsey now (caveat, they've an extra hour, so in reality they're probably level, but perceptions are perceptions).
    Ian Dempsey has lost listeners book after book in the past few years. This September would mark the 20 year anniversary of him starting that slot. I think, given the listenership decline, this might be the point where Ian bows out, and go out on a sort of celebratory vibe. I think he'd maybe then make a move to replace D&D mid-mornings, D&D back to lunch, Muireann to join Ray on Breakfast.
    Now, the obvious barrier here is Ray's falling out with Today FM. But honestly, you'd wonder if a Today FM, struggling across the board with listenership since 2014, can really afford to not bury this particular hatchet given Ray's admittedly short term success on Breakfast in Cork and his reputation as being more popular outside Dublin.
    Similarly, you'd wonder if Ray would be able to turn down an offer to return to Dublin, return to the national airwaves and likely receive a nice chunk of change in the process.
    If Foley got a two year contract from Red, you could easily have Dempsey finish up September/October, and a massive station relaunch early next year.

Obviously, that's all just pie-in-the-sky speculation on my part, and even I'm willing to admit that my ideas for the schedule shakeup would likely never happen given the often glacial rate of change. But hey, it's fun to think about, so sue me. :P

I think at this stage Ian Dempsey is the Larry Gogan of Today FM (a job for life)

I seem to remember Ray Foley said he turned down the chance to move to 2fm in the past (He wouldn't now!)

Today FM needs a major shake up from 7am-7pm weekdays, the wrecking ball needs to be brought in just like Dan Healy done at 2fm

I think we all know in reality that Ray Foley will never be on 2fm or return to Today FM

Today FM is a shadow of what it used to be 10 years ago

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I think a return to Today FM is more likely than a move to 2FM to be honest, and here's for why:

Breakfast Republic is doing well in the ratings. It's beating Ian Dempsey now (caveat, they've an extra hour, so in reality they're probably level, but perceptions are perceptions).
    Ian Dempsey has lost listeners book after book in the past few years. This September would mark the 20 year anniversary of him starting that slot. I think, given the listenership decline, this might be the point where Ian bows out, and go out on a sort of celebratory vibe. I think he'd maybe then make a move to replace D&D mid-mornings, D&D back to lunch, Muireann to join Ray on Breakfast.
    Now, the obvious barrier here is Ray's falling out with Today FM. But honestly, you'd wonder if a Today FM, struggling across the board with listenership since 2014, can really afford to not bury this particular hatchet given Ray's admittedly short term success on Breakfast in Cork and his reputation as being more popular outside Dublin.
    Similarly, you'd wonder if Ray would be able to turn down an offer to return to Dublin, return to the national airwaves and likely receive a nice chunk of change in the process.
    If Foley got a two year contract from Red, you could easily have Dempsey finish up September/October, and a massive station relaunch early next year.

Obviously, that's all just pie-in-the-sky speculation on my part, and even I'm willing to admit that my ideas for the schedule shakeup would likely never happen given the often glacial rate of change. But hey, it's fun to think about, so sue me. :P

It would be a smart move - which means it will probably never happen. After all these are the people who put Al Porter on and we all know how that turned out :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,807 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did anyone hear the quote on TodayFM news today during the Last Word?

"...and Lidl are redeplying staff from their store damaged during Storm Emma".

Jesus, talk about spin! No blame being assigned there. Well there was, they made it sound like the store was damaged by a storm.

Probably didn't want to offend anyone.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Think you might be reading a bit too much into that. The criminal aspect was covered extensively on the station all day. I suppose it's probable they assumed anyone listening would know exactly what damage was done and by whom during Storm Emma.

One of the podcasts from today's show covered the Lidl story. That and a lesser reported raid on a special needs school in Meath.https://www.todayfm.com/podcasts/84261/How-Criminals-Took-Advantage-Of-Storm-Emma

Think you might be reading a bit too much into that. The criminal aspect was covered extensively on the station all day. I suppose it's probable they assumed anyone listening would know exactly what damage was done and by whom during Storm Emma.

Still, their wording was wrong.

no harm saying "Lidl have redeployed all their staff from their store damaged when it was looted by scum using the snow as a cover";)

gamecube wrote: »
    Dan Healy could have brought him to 2fm but he didn't

I remember him being quoted in the sun saying he wouldn't bring him to the station

But if I was him i would bring him in, start him out in the 11am-1pm weekend slot that Chris & Ciara are doing poor radio on, then after a while cut Nicky & Jenny 1 hour to 10am-12pm, cut Tracy Clifford 1 hour so her show runs from 2pm -4pm than that would leave 12pm -2pm for a Ray Foley lunchtime return on the national airwaves!
    Ray Foley was a missed opportunity for 2FM and the same with Dermot and Dave. The only reason they went the other way is because Tony Fenton (RIP) very sadly had to step down because of how poorly he was (I think they probably knew he wasn't going to recover), so they were brought over to fill a gap in the schedule. But, y'know, it worked out for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

NIMAN wrote: »
    Did anyone hear the quote on TodayFM news today during the Last Word?

"...and Lidl are redeplying staff from their store damaged during Storm Emma".

Jesus, talk about spin! No blame being assigned there. Well there was, they made it sound like the store was damaged by a storm.

Probably didn't want to offend anyone.

Yet they seemed to offend you

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yet they seemed to offend you

I'm easily offended.

You must have been so offended, you couldn't bring yourself to click on the link I posted. Y'know, the one on the Today FM website which has a photo of what appears to be a snow-covered, partly demolished Lidl. An interview with Nicola Tallant from the Sunday World where she describes in detail what happened... Perhaps you should give the podcast a listen - you might learn something ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

NIMAN wrote: »
    Still, their wording was wrong.

no harm saying "Lidl have redeployed all their staff from their store damaged when it was looted by scum using the snow as a cover";)

Agreed. The word was chosen consciously. Why was the word "vandalised" for example, not used. It was inadequate wording that was misleading as theoretically some people may not have heard about the incident. They should have taken that into account. Could be seen to be expressing tacit sympathy for the perpetrators or just a case of amateur journalism. They shouldn't have put themselves in that position. Words matter.

• Advertisement

You must have been so offended, you couldn't bring yourself to click on the link I posted. Y'know, the one on the Today FM website which has a photo of what appears to be a snow-covered, partly demolished Lidl. An interview with Nicola Tallant from the Sunday World where she describes in detail what happened... Perhaps you should give the podcast a listen - you might learn something ;)

Think your irony-meter needs some re-calibration there Ursus. :pac:

It was a badly worded news item. Never assume the listener knows what you're referring to. I wouldn't say it's too egregious given the widespread coverage, nonetheless it's a bit misleading to phrase it as such.

Advertisement