Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭neris

NIMAN wrote: »
    Its a hard listen now. And as a result I rarely make the effort any more. And in the past I never would have missed it.

id be same use to have it on in car from 430 till i got home then on in the kitchen getting dinner ready, now i find myself listening to ivan yates in the car and watching netflix in the kitchen. Its gone way to pc and soft and the "contributors" seem to be the fluffy snowflakes of the today fm newsroom

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

neris wrote: »
    id be same use to have it on in car from 430 till i got home then on in the kitchen getting dinner ready, now i find myself listening to ivan yates in the car and watching netflix in the kitchen. Its gone way to pc and soft and the "contributors" seem to be the fluffy snowflakes of the today fm newsroom

Gave it up months ago. The descent into PCness has had a stultifying effect. Also too many ads. Not since Matt started to subscribe to the Chris Donaghue school of tedious snowflake broadcasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭neris

quintana76 wrote: »
    Gave it up months ago. The descent into PCness has had a stultifying effect. Also too many ads. Not since Matt started to subscribe to the Chris Donaghue school of tedious snowflake broadcasting.

dont forget the competitions and text us now blurb

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

I've become increasingly disinterested in the last word, having been an avid listener for years. Very light pieces are now the norm. The straw that broke the camels back for me recently was an interview with Shane Williams who was in town to do some promo work ahead of the 6 nations game. He mentioned he was doing a gig in Paddy Cullens pub that night and Matt couldn't wait to screech'ask him about the goal from...yadda yadda yadda event over 40 years ago' Himself and RTE would really want to let that whole Dublin/Kerry thing go now. Today FM is really an echo chamber but I suppose most stations are if the figures keep giving them some good news every few months. Apologies for the meandering rant
    TLDR The Last Word is boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,807 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think where TLW has gone wrong is that they obviously decided somewhere along the line to try to appeal to the younger generation, or a younger one that it was traditionally aimed at.

I'm late 40s and this is likely the reason I have lost interest in it. A lot of the discussions now are very lightweight imho, with contributors to match. Too many young 'experts' on who are an expert because they work for Journal.ie or something similar.

And of course, far too many debates on PC-matters, which MC now seems to be a champion of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I normally wouldn't be listening to Today FM at lunchtime but I was in a waiting room from 12:00-12:20ish and Muireann 3 times in that time frame said "My name is Muireann O'Connell". 3 times. I'm just out of that appointment now and as I was leaving and paying at the receptionist's desk I could her Today FM on her radio (separate room from the waiting area) and guess what I heard? "My name is Muireann O'Connell".

Not a "hi, it's Muireann" or "Muireann with you today until 2" etc. or any variation on it - always the same "My name is Muireann O'Connell".

What is that all about? Is it an attempt to increase her name recognition? Is she insecure?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

I normally wouldn't be listening to Today FM at lunchtime but I was in a waiting room from 12:00-12:20ish and Muireann 3 times in that time frame said "My name is Muireann O'Connell". 3 times. I'm just out of that appointment now and as I was leaving and paying at the receptionist's desk I could her Today FM on her radio (separate room from the waiting area) and guess what I heard? "My name is Muireann O'Connell".

Not a "hi, it's Muireann" or "Muireann with you today until 2" etc. or any variation on it - always the same "My name is Muireann O'Connell".

What is that all about? Is it an attempt to increase her name recognition? Is she insecure?

It's because she is an out of her depth inane moron.

Uncharted wrote: »
    It's because she is an out of her depth inane moron.

I was trying to be polite about that element of it!

It was certainly light and fluffy - and full of that "hi-energy talk at 150mph about nothing" style that seems to be in vogue these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

unfortunately I have to listen all day in work to Today FM now. Its absolute rubbish. music is on constant rotation and they seem to try and banter like chalk and cheese rubbish etc.

unfortunately I have to listen all day in work to Today FM now. Its absolute rubbish. music is on constant rotation and they seem to try and banter like chalk and cheese rubbish etc.

When I think of commercial radio in Ireland I always think of the line from Sagat's "funk dat":

"Question: why is it that everytime I turn on the radio, they play the same 5 songs, 15 times a day....for 3 months?

GET A NEW DJ!"

Sums up the airplay rotations perfectly.....except in Ireland it's more 6-9 months than 3.

• Advertisement

My sympathies.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think where TLW has gone wrong is that they obviously decided somewhere along the line to try to appeal to the younger generation, or a younger one that it was traditionally aimed at.

I'm late 40s and this is likely the reason I have lost interest in it. A lot of the discussions now are very lightweight imho, with contributors to match. Too many young 'experts' on who are an expert because they work for Journal.ie or something similar.

And of course, far too many debates on PC-matters, which MC now seems to be a champion of.

i wonder is the producer he's gotten in the last year or so to blame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I’m exactly the same as you. It’s absolute garbage.Ian is just Ian and that’s fair enough. Dermot and Dave are likeable enough but are on for an hour too long and completely at the wrong time. Then you have one worse than the other- Muireann followed by Ferg(al)!!
    Muireann talks about the greatest load of rubbish I’ve ever heard. She is just so OTT it defies belief.
    What’s with the constant sharp intakes of breath, describing everything and everyone as amazing or wonderful and emphasising those two words??
    Then to cap it off you have that guy who hypes up the culchie persona no end. He’s constantly going on about growing up in the eighties and nineties. I find it really strange the way he keeps doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

Why are they trying to appeal to a younger audience?

What young person listens to Today FM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

gamecube wrote: »

Been wondering that myself the last while

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Synode wrote: »
    Been wondering that myself the last while

Seems foolish for the Last Word in particular. Are they going to start playing the odd tune as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Today FM was always the alternative, escape from the rest of the stations, now it's just blended in. It's turning in to Spin South West.

They won't let me wear headphones at work so I have to listen 12 hours of the same crap with different voices all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I do

What age roughly, And do you enjoy it?

What age roughly, And do you enjoy it?

Early 20's so relatively young, I wouldn't say I enjoy it. Dermot & Dave have their funny moments in fairness and I don't mind Fergal. TLW has gone rubbish. It's the music that's played on the radio these days is complete sh!te. Even if I change the channel its the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I am starting to really like Fergal's show. I had cause to be on the road on Thursday and Friday last week and heard his full show both days. I still find him to be very wide-eyed like a kid in a sweetshop but I think that's just a manifestation of him being aware of how lucky he is to have a primetime slot on a national radio station at his age. He wears it on his sleeve and there's something about that I like.

But the quality of his show is on the up and up. Imo, it's starting to become a bit of a slick broadcast. I mentioned before that I admire the canniness in him recognising he can't carry the show on his own and bringing in a lot more of (the fantastic Mr.) Ed Smith. Yes, the content of the links is light and fluffy but it's not forced like it was when he started and it's become what I'd want from a light entertainment show, maybe without being as good as some of the shows we have been lucky enough to have over the years on Today FM - my personal favourite was the very short-lived KC show.

I suppose this gives me some hope that Muireann's show will improve. It's very forced at the moment and the "topics" are extremely bland. But with the right people backing her up and the proven quality she has as a broadcaster, I think the show will find its feet and become another good quality light entertainment show.

Directed at people younger than me, of course. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

I am starting to really like Fergal's show. I had cause to be on the road on Thursday and Friday last week and heard his full show both days. I still find him to be very wide-eyed like a kid in a sweetshop but I think that's just a manifestation of him being aware of how lucky he is to have a primetime slot on a national radio station at his age. He wears it on his sleeve and there's something about that I like.

But the quality of his show is on the up and up. Imo, it's starting to become a bit of a slick broadcast. I mentioned before that I admire the canniness in him recognising he can't carry the show on his own and bringing in a lot more of (the fantastic Mr.) Ed Smith. Yes, the content of the links is light and fluffy but it's not forced like it was when he started and it's become what I'd want from a light entertainment show, maybe without being as good as some of the shows we have been lucky enough to have over the years on Today FM - my personal favourite was the very short-lived KC show.

I suppose this gives me some hope that Muireann's show will improve. It's very forced at the moment and the "topics" are extremely bland. But with the right people backing her up and the proven quality she has as a broadcaster, I think the show will find its feet and become another good quality light entertainment show.

Directed at people younger than me, of course. :D

I would love if Ed got to take his show to a daily/weekday occurance....maybe at the 7-9pm, playing indie and alternative stuff

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It would be good for him all right, and well deserved. But personally, I like his show where it is because I almost always get to listen to it on a Sunday. Not so for weeknights, usually the radio is off for the night around 7.30.

It's a matter of some annoyance to me because I'd prefer to listen to Paul McLoone than have to watch another episode of Mary Berry, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I would love if Ed got to take his show to a daily/weekday occurance....maybe at the 7-9pm, playing indie and alternative stuff
    Would be nice to have Louise back on daytimes.

Would be nice to have Louise back on daytimes.

More the graveyard shifts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Early 20's so relatively young, I wouldn't say I enjoy it. Dermot & Dave have their funny moments in fairness and I don't mind Fergal. TLW has gone rubbish. It's the music that's played on the radio these days is complete sh!te. Even if I change the channel its the same thing.
    +1000

I can stay listening to D&D, I like the guys, but Cheese and Crackers is the musical highlight of the show. I don't think I could recognise one song from another that's played from the current 'hits', they all sound exactly the same to me. Then again, I am outside the target demographic.

I find myself tuning into local radio more these days, plenty of good music from the last 30 years played and some of the newer music too. Much more pleasant experience.

Bar Ian in the morning, I doubt I'll be listening to Today FM in a few months time.

+1000

I can stay listening to D&D, I like the guys, but Cheese and Crackers is the musical highlight of the show. I don't think I could recognise one song from another that's played from the current 'hits', they all sound exactly the same to me. Then again, I am outside the target demographic.

I find myself tuning into local radio more these days, plenty of good music from the last 30 years played and some of the newer music too. Much more pleasant experience.

Bar Ian in the morning, I doubt I'll be listening to Today FM in a few months time.

Speaking of cheese and crackers, yesterday hit the diff was chosen over Johnny Cash. The odd time they play music I'm into like RHCP,Foo fighters etc. Modern electronic pop is just all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Speaking of cheese and crackers, yesterday hit the diff was chosen over Johnny Cash. The odd time they play music I'm into like RHCP,Foo fighters etc. Modern electronic pop is just all the same
    I thought the tributes to Dolores O'Riordan were telling about the music choice in the station and probably most of the national stations as well. Lots of talk about how good the songs were and plenty of their hits played.

Funny thing, though, the songs were as good before she died as they were after but the station simply wasn't playing them, just the same old generic tune day in, day out.

The music played on the station now is just meh, at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

You are so correct. I thought exactly the same thing myself.
    It was hypocrisy of the highest order.
    They were waffling on about how great she was and even played relatively new material which I wasn’t even aware of. Why didn’t they play it when she was alive. It really did annoy me the way the likes of Dermot Whelan and Muireann OConnell-both from Limerick eulogised her but couldn’t be bothered to play a track of hers when she was alive.
    I thought the tributes to Dolores O'Riordan were telling about the music choice in the station and probably most of the national stations as well. Lots of talk about how good the songs were and plenty of their hits played.

Funny thing, though, the songs were as good before she died as they were after but the station simply wasn't playing them, just the same old generic tune day in, day out.

The music played on the station now is just meh, at best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

D&D have played plenty of The Cranberries over the years

Advertisement