Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What did he say?

He was on about himself and Ed Smith crying on the plane home from Dubai because of a sad movie they were watching and Ed Smith said he had to ask the air hostess for a Kleenex,
    To which Ferg replied that's not the first time a radio host had to ask that question on a flight followed by a laughter.
    Have to say it's the first time I chuckled while his show was on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    I noticed Joe played a few classics too

Don’t get your hopes up, they are celebrating 20 years of being on air this week by playing hits from the last 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Don’t get your hopes up, they are celebrating 20 years of being on air this week by playing hits from the last 20 years.

20 or 21?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah. I was travelling over the weekend and I enjoyed listening to Phil Cawley reminiscing over the events and coming/going’s in the station over the 20 years.
    I thought it was funny when he made a passing reference to Ray Foley (much lauded of course in these forums as some sort of broadcasting messiah), Phil said (roughly): “Ray Foley was here for a while, I think he’s doing some local radio show now... somewhere...I’m not sure...”.
    I’d imagine it was tounge in cheek as Cawley the anorak would surely know exactly where Foley is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Yeah. I was travelling over the weekend and I enjoyed listening to Phil Cawley reminiscing over the events and coming/going’s in the station over the 20 years.
    I thought it was funny when he made a passing reference to Ray Foley (much lauded of course in these forums as some sort of broadcasting messiah), Phil said (roughly): “Ray Foley was here for a while, I think he’s doing some local radio show now... somewhere...I’m not sure...”.
    I’d imagine it was tounge in cheek as Cawley the anorak would surely know exactly where Foley is...
    The station launched in 1997 (as Radio Ireland) not 1998.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

That sounds like someone who’s still bitter he lost his lunchtime gig to Foley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I'm really enjoying Joe donnelly this week. Good topics, none of the silly links that d&d do, good music and is not afraid to read out texts of criticism about him. Reminds me how much I miss anton and the good days of Ray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

Yep, I'm really warming up to Joe. Previously, I thought his voice was kinda monotone but either he's got a bit more animated or I'm getting used to it. I find D&D annoying and usually switch off fairly quickly, so Joe is a vast improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Does any other DJ use their own name as much as Phil?

"I've a text in from John in Carlow.... it says 'Hi Phil, can you please play......'?"

"Here's another text in it says "Phil, can you.....""

20 or 21?

dunno pal

• Advertisement

I'm really enjoying Joe donnelly this week. Good topics, none of the silly links that d&d do, good music and is not afraid to read out texts of criticism about him. Reminds me how much I miss anton and the good days of Ray.

Loved him on his TXFM show, good to hear him again.

zoobizoo wrote: »

"I've a text in from John in Carlow.... it says 'Hi Phil, can you please play......'?"

It’s a bit of an old school DJ thing I think.

Gareth “Hi Gareth, Love the show!” O’Callaghan does it in every link!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

The loud annoying one Paula McSweeney does as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

The loud annoying one Paula McSweeney does as well.

Leave Paula alone!! She brightens up my early mornings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,344 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Loved him on his TXFM show, good to hear him again.

Why did you love Joe? I thought he was out of his depth, lowest common denominator. One of the many reasons that station sank. They got rid of knowledgeable people for Communicorp lackeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

She’s very poor imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

MrMac84 wrote: »

She’s an untalented tool
    Harsh. I dont understand the personal insults aimed at them, Muireann particularly. Yeah, she's not very good, but it's hardly a need to insult her personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Turned on car this morning Today FM on since last night I literally listened for 3 seconds before Curtis mentioned dancing around the kitchen and kids. I’m a 43 year old man and I screamed at the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

That sounds like someone who’s still bitter he lost his lunchtime gig to Foley

Think your reading way too much into it, phil was correct he is working for a regional station now. Not everyone follows his every move

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Turned on car this morning Today FM on since last night I literally listened for 3 seconds before Curtis mentioned dancing around the kitchen and kids. I’m a 43 year old man and I screamed at the radio.

Her show is the only one I'll willingly turn off. I don't want to hear about children every few minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 scrimpinsave

liam7831 wrote: »
    Think your reading way too much into it, phil was correct he is working for a regional station now. Not everyone follows his every move

Come on he's got a massive chip on his shoulder. Maybe I would too if I was in his situation working afternoons for years and going nowhere until Foley and his team come in and get the best ever ratings the shift has ever had. Meantime he's relegated off to weekends and cover shifts (he doesn't even get any of those anymore) and then he uses his show to take a pop at a guy who left the station 5 years ago? Sad and bitchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Is it really a pop though? Cawley is around long enough to know that radio slots come and go. Once management decides your face doesn't fit, goodnight Irene. He's lucky to have survived on Today FM as long as he has, to be honest.

Is it really a pop though? Cawley is around long enough to know that radio slots come and go. Once management decides your face doesn't fit, goodnight Irene. He's lucky to have survived on Today FM as long as he has, to be honest.

That I can agree with. His style of radio went out with the Reagan presidency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Well he can't be any worse than some of the full timers on Mon to Fri with their ott radio personalities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I wasn't a fan of Phil during the week but I like him and his music over the weekend.

Completely disagree.

He’s good at what he does imo, a good voice. He’s still there 20+ years later so he’s doing something right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

You obviously don’t listen to Muireann O’Connell....she announces her full name every 5 minutes.
    zoobizoo wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

And Alison Curtis likes to mention her Twitter handle a lot too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree with you 100%. The first time I heard him I didn’t like him at all. But now I’m delighted when he’s standing in for D&D. They are so past their sell by date they’re actually an embarrassment to themselves. Joe is really good.
    mmg0305 wrote: »
    Yep, I'm really warming up to Joe. Previously, I thought his voice was kinda monotone but either he's got a bit more animated or I'm getting used to it. I find D&D annoying and usually switch off fairly quickly, so Joe is a vast improvement.

• Advertisement

Completely disagree.

He’s good at what he does imo, a good voice. He’s still there 20+ years later so he’s doing something right.

There are 2 types of people in this world. There are those doing something right and those with staff contracts who are there so long they're too expensive to sack.

Advertisement