Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Anyone listened to the streams yet?

Yeah the 80s one is pretty good so far, previously listened to Heart 80s (UK based).

Anyone know if Today FMs version is going to be 100% automated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Yeah the 80s one is pretty good so far, previously listened to Heart 80s (UK based).

You’d assume they will until they get adds/sponcership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I think a 1-4pm slot would be good for him. When Anton or Al left they could easily have rescheduled the schedule to 7-10, 10-1, 1-4, 4-7.

Afaik they had slots like that, back then, as PhilCawley was on 1-4 & Dunphy 4-7?
    She's on in the morning live from merrion square I think.

Sponsored by Cadbury's, expect a lot of chocolate & hyper... kids
    Oh Phil Cawley's show's there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Ah well, no radio in the morning so:(

But I assume she will be off next weekend though? Doubt she'll be on mornings for 6 days in a row...

It'll either be Pam, or Shelly Gray who's covering for Hector & she was on today, there's another Shelly, who does the telly, but is she Gray too :confused:

As afaik the 1st one is the dietitian who came into the Double D's one day.

Talk about covering, was Todayfm the only station off, as Patkenny was on Newstalk, did no one tell him, as some of the slots were on R1, although no Liveline :P

Haven't tried it yet, but do you need to download the app or listen to it online?
    As i think i heard here that people were having trouble with the app & saw bad reviews on playstore,
    As i've noticed when you click on a page/podcast the page goes blank, it seems that you have to r/click for the page to appear & not go blank!

Does that happen to anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

It'll either be Pam, or Shelly Gray who's covering for Hector & she was on today, there's another Shelly, who does the telly, but is she Gray too :confused:

Talk about covering, was Todayfm the only station off, as Patkenny was on Newstalk, did no one tell him, as some of the slots were on R1, although no Liveline :P

Haven't tried it yet, but do you need to download the app or listen to it online?
    As i think i heard here that people were having trouble with the app & saw bad reviews on playstore,
    As i've noticed when you click on a page/podcast the page goes blank, it seems that you have to r/click for the page to appear & not go blank!

Wouldn't work on the app for me so I just listened to it through the browser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,239 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The Shelly that does the telly is Michelle McMahon. Shelly gray is a different person and she is a dietitian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,568 ✭✭✭prunudo

As long as she doesn't go awwwwwwwn and awwwwwwwwwn and awwwwwwwn about kids, I'm fine with that.

She didnt even make it past the kick start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

jvan wrote: »
    She didnt even make it past the kick start!

This morning was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,807 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As much as I am turning away from Matt Cooper as a host, if that girl who was filling in for him today is his natural successor, then The Last Word is not going to last for long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

NIMAN wrote: »
    As much as I am turning away from Matt Cooper as a host, if that girl who was filling in for him today is his natural successor, then The Last Word is not going to last for long.

Susan Keogh I take it.

• Advertisement

That's her. Her name escaped me for a while.

She normally does the ground breaking 6 at 6, and her previous big hit, the 5 at 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I'm not racist or anything but that Canadian accent is really , really irritating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'm not racist or anything but that Canadian accent is really , really irritating

I don't think it's the accent that's the irritating part :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Its unbearable. Surely the chief qualifying criteria to be on the radio is a voice or accent that doesn't irritate a very large proportion of potential listeners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

The funny thing is that when she was just presenting a music show, nobody seemed to mind her.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Its unbearable. Surely the chief qualifying criteria to be on the radio is a voice or accent that doesn't irritate a very large proportion of potential listeners?

Sadly, in the modern world it all about identity and quotas rather than ability in many cases.

quintana76 wrote: »
    Sadly, in the modern world it all about identity and quotas rather than ability in many cases.

Is she harping on about kids on the breakfast show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

quintana76 wrote: »
    Surely if someone is good enough, they should get the job regardless of age, sex, sexual orientation, colour, creed, height, weight or anything else?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

The funny thing is that when she was just presenting a music show, nobody seemed to mind her.

She wasnt talking for 90percent of the show, not prattling about Babies, the text no or her twitter handle and the music she played was quality stuff...all before playing the same 10 songs of Ed Sheeran/Adele etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

What Today FM show do people on here think is the best show on the station 7am-7pm weekdays?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Fergal D'arcy. Not a joke.

I used to be a huge D&D fan but the show is very empty these days, unfortunately. They've lost their razzmatazz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

Fergal D'arcy. Not a joke.

I used to be a huge D&D fan but the show is very empty these days, unfortunately. They've lost their razzmatazz.

Did they ever have their razzmatazz at 9am?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

gamecube wrote: »
    What Today FM show do people on here think is the best show on the station 7am-7pm weekdays?

Ian Dempsey, easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Dermot and Dave is the only show I listen to these days. Went off Dempsey years ago. Listen to Muireann the odd time but I've mostly moved to podcasts and Spotify from the early afternoon. Haven't bothered switching back on for The Last Word in ages

Ed’s songs of praise is far and away the best show the station has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Paul Mcloone's fantastic too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

On the day time schedule, Dempsey is still top of the tree by some margin on that station imo. OK, the Gift Grub stuff is a bit jaded but overall he's still listenable and a staple of morning radio - imo.

The rest of the weekday schedule is very meh. D&D are ok in small doses, they're likeable enough but they're very lightweight so anytime a "serious" subject is forced on them they sound totally uncomfortable. So I think they're OK overall but just in the wrong time slot and being asked to do stuff thats not their bag.

Muireann and D'Arcy are just by the numbers crap imo.... just bland music for the most part and "text me what sandwich you had for lunch" inane rubbish.

The Last Word used to be the current affairs show in its heyday but its gone down the toilet, particularly the last 12-18 months, especially with the Irish Times fallout, Matt's obsession with Trump and the chronic quality of his current stand-in's when he's off (see this week to see what I mean).

At the weekend, I think they are decent! Curtis and Hector aside, there's not much wrong. Phil Cawley is a solid/safe bet, I like listening to him. There's the premier league coverage which is always popular and then Ed on a Sunday evening is first class.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

If we were talking about the best shows on Today FM, then of course Ed Smith is top.

Even if we were talking about the best shows on Today FM on a weekday, we'd more or less all agree I reckon that Paul McLoone is the true heavyweight.

But the question was specifically what weekday show from 7am-7pm is the best. Not rich pickings unfortunately.

You start with Dempsey who's gone so far past his sell-by date by now that I absolutely have to switch him off. I've never been his biggest fan (too chirpy for that hour) but the show is the dregs at this stage.

Next is D&D, as I said, I was a massive fan. Before the move to Today FM, their show was probably the best available radio for me. A good mix of light radio, comedy and music. Even though my first preference would be for alt/indie music, I can take a bit of cheesey pop and they've always had quite pop-centric playlists. (On 98fm, they played pure pop but it was ok because the inbetween bits were so good.) When they moved to Today, I though they were having trouble getting the format right but it seems like they just gave up. It's a shame but it is what it is. Now it's just barely listenable mid-morning radio that I feel ambivalent about. I don't necessarily reach for the tuner when they're on but I wouldn't be jumping over to them.

Then it's Muireann. It's not great at the moment but I expect, given some time, her show will improve. At the moment, it's pretty aimless and needs some solid content. I'm not sure the producer is right for Muireann and I think she needs someone who's better at creating actual content behind her. I like what I've heard from Pam on a personal level but I don't think it's a match from a radio production POV.

Darcy. Continually improving and as I've said before, the great Ed Smith adds value to the show no end. It's gone from being nervy and rough-shod to something a lot more listenable since it started, and Fergal bouncing off Ed is a huge part of that. I don't get to listen every day admittedly, but when I've listened recently, it's been far more polished than the "lets-all-talk-about-how-Oirish-we-are" crap that was on early doors.

The Last Word is and has been for some time absolute gutter red-top trash. I'm conflicted on my views in relation to it because I used to have huge respect for MC for his integrity as a journalist first and foremost. I'm not sure what happened, whether it was a matter of keeping his job or sticking with his integrity but something changed and now we have a bastard of a show where whatever the populist view is gets towed along by a talented broadcaster so that agendas are being pushed and the neutrality has been lost. We occasionally get glimpses of what he used to be capable of but it's not enough to lend the show any real credibility. Then when the stand-ins take over, any impartiality is totally abandoned and it's like being in the middle of an episode of the Kardashians.

As I've also said before, my position is that radio, along with other obsolete media formats, are starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel in order to engage younger people, who have all sorts of nonsense available to them all day every day.

Couldn't agree more with the last 2 descriptions/summations of The Last Word.

Sad to see a once very good show go down the pan so badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I remember a time when if I ever had to go on a long road trip, I'd look forward to it as I'd have Today FM to keep me company.

Dempsey -> Darcy -> Foley -> Fenton and then The Last Word. It used to be superb radio, sometimes I think we look back and think the music was better than it actually was but at least there was some variation and presenters had more choice in what they played.

More interesting subject matter too and just more entertaining.

Now if I was ever to go on a long car trip, it would just be podcasts or audiobooks to keep me entertained

Advertisement