Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It's a better station in the evenings and at weekends. At this stage, I rarely tune in during the day apart from a bit of the afternoon and maybe the Last Word. I used to listen to the Last Word every day but I've mostly stopped listening to that too. I don't know what has happened to Matt Cooper but he has gone from being a journalist I admired to a shrill, intolerant sheep. And as for his stand in, don't get me started...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I can't be the only that thinks Susan isn't that bad to listen to. Fair enough the role doesn't suit her but I don't think she is as bad as people are saying here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Shes turned the LW into Loose Women it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,805 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Don't tell her about this incident

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-43652428

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Various podcasts seem to be the future if they keep alienating the general public with their self obsessed groupthink outlook. They need to cop on.

• Advertisement

quintana76 wrote: »
    Various podcasts seem to be the future if they keep alienating the general public with their self obsessed groupthink outlook. They need to cop on.

Podcasts can be a biased echo chamber all of their own.

Surprisingly, the Last Word is still doing fine in the JNLRs so perhaps we're a minority group of cranks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Podcasts can be a biased echo chamber all of their own.

Surprisingly, the Last Word is still doing fine in the JNLRs so perhaps we're a minority group of cranks ;)

Ah, no, we're normal.

Tis the rest of dem dat are cranks:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Started listening to TodayXM - Love it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭robo

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I can't be the only that thinks Susan isn't that bad to listen to. Fair enough the role doesn't suit her but I don't think she is as bad as people are saying here

She is definitely not the worst stand in presenter that they have had. She is definitely going down the same route as Gavin did - fill in for Matt, appearing on TV3...she'll be full time on the telly when there is an opening in TV3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

There is so many posts on this thread about Today FM, I think its from everybody that used to love the station lineup from 10 years ago

(I loved the weekday lineup then too) But it's never going to be that good ever again

We all took it for granted how good it was at the time

• Advertisement

Downloaded the TodayFM app a couple of hours ago, and got TodayXM up and running.

I cannot believe how much I have enjoyed the last couple of hours of 'radio'.

Heard a lot of songs I have never heard before, excellent, but would very likely never be heard during 9 - 5 on a radio station in Ireland.

Surely there must be a market for a radio station playing music like this during the day? Even if it did have minimal input from a DJ (its great not hearing one at all).

Now I know many people will say if I listen to late night radio I would hear similar music, but why must daytime radio be so poor compared to what I'm listening to now? Are the stations really giving the people what they want or what they think they want?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

TXFM.

TXFM.

Can't get that in Donegal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

NIMAN wrote: »
    Can't get that in Donegal though.

You can't get it anywhere now, it shut down in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Why can't they just let the presenters control the playlist for their show

Why can't they just let the presenters control the playlist for their show

Cos then they wouldn't be able to fit Sheeran in 15 times a day.

Now I know many people will say if I listen to late night radio I would hear similar music, but why must daytime radio be so poor compared to what I'm listening to now? Are the stations really giving the people what they want or what they think they want?

How can you give everyone what they want though? There are a few different generations of people who listen to the radio these days and they all like different things. Maybe it wasn't as much of an issue in times past but it certainly is now. Today FM and 2FM have decided that they want to appeal to teenagers/young adults. That's fair enough - perhaps for all of us there comes a time when you outgrow your favourite radio stations.

The problem is that there is very little choice out there for people who aren't 25 year old Ed Sheeran fans. Sure, you can use Spotify or an online radio but that's not always an option. DAB doesn't look like it's going to be expanding. Meanwhile on the clogged FM band, precious space is being hogged by Spirit radio :rolleyes:

Take this TodayXM for example, if I'm out and about in the car, or gardening or having a jog, its not easy to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

If we were talking about the best shows on Today FM, then of course Ed Smith is top.

Even if we were talking about the best shows on Today FM on a weekday, we'd more or less all agree I reckon that Paul McLoone is the true heavyweight.

But the question was specifically what weekday show from 7am-7pm is the best. Not rich pickings unfortunately.

You start with Dempsey who's gone so far past his sell-by date by now that I absolutely have to switch him off. I've never been his biggest fan (too chirpy for that hour) but the show is the dregs at this stage.

Next is D&D, as I said, I was a massive fan. Before the move to Today FM, their show was probably the best available radio for me. A good mix of light radio, comedy and music. Even though my first preference would be for alt/indie music, I can take a bit of cheesey pop and they've always had quite pop-centric playlists. (On 98fm, they played pure pop but it was ok because the inbetween bits were so good.) When they moved to Today, I though they were having trouble getting the format right but it seems like they just gave up. It's a shame but it is what it is. Now it's just barely listenable mid-morning radio that I feel ambivalent about. I don't necessarily reach for the tuner when they're on but I wouldn't be jumping over to them.

Then it's Muireann. It's not great at the moment but I expect, given some time, her show will improve. At the moment, it's pretty aimless and needs some solid content. I'm not sure the producer is right for Muireann and I think she needs someone who's better at creating actual content behind her. I like what I've heard from Pam on a personal level but I don't think it's a match from a radio production POV.

It sounds like Mhuireann is taking a break from the telly, (i didn't hear her show today) Majella is covering for her :(

Pam'll be taking a break soon on maternity leave, wonder who'll take over, she covered for Alison a few times, but afaik only done that a few times, was ok?

No doubt will get the sunday show, after delamere leaves?
    She has a nice voice & didn 't she get a PPI award a while ago too?
    As she leaves the sport over to JDuggan, inc when on one Fri
    GBX wrote: »
    Started listening to TodayXM - Love it! :D
    Downloaded the TodayFM app a couple of hours ago, and got TodayXM up and running.

I cannot believe how much I have enjoyed the last couple of hours of 'radio'.

Heard a lot of songs I have never heard before, excellent, but would very likely never be heard during 9 - 5 on a radio station in Ireland.

Surely there must be a market for a radio station playing music like this during the day? Even if it did have minimal input from a DJ (its great not hearing one at all).

Never tried the app, got put off by reviews on Playstore & had similar problems when clicking on podcasts, as it seems you had to r/click on the pages, as normally clicking on them, made the page disappear :(

No doubt similar music played 80-90's non-stop on satellite, which reminds me how come Todayfm is not on it, as Newstalk is?

Is TodayXM alternative i hear?

I must say, REALLY impressed by TodayXM.

Not many weak songs on it so far.

And discovering some artists I'd never heard of, and which you'd never hear if you only catch daytime radio.

One example, Ezra Furman "Love You So Bad", fantastic. 1st time I ever heard of him.

• Advertisement

Never tried the app, got put off by reviews on Playstore & had similar problems when clicking on podcasts, as it seems you had to r/click on the pages, as normally clicking on them, made the page disappear :(

If you don't want to install the app, you can listen to it through the browser on your phone. Just go to the Today FM website and find the Listen Live for Today FM. I can't speak for iOS but it works just fine on android.
    No doubt similar music played 80-90's non-stop on satellite, which reminds me how come Todayfm is not on it, as Newstalk is?

Do many people really listen to the radio on a satellite dish? I've never met anyone who does.

There are loads on online radio stations and streaming services out there. I think this one is capturing our attention because it's an Irish one and is attached to a radio station we once enjoyed a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,568 ✭✭✭prunudo

Do many people really listen to the radio on a satellite dish? I've never met anyone who does.

I use it regularly to listen to planet rock

Is the TV in the same room where you usually listen to music though? It's of absolutely no use to me whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,568 ✭✭✭prunudo

Is the TV in the same room where you usually listen to music though? It's of absolutely no use to me whatsoever.

Have the sky box wired through the hifi, id happily sit on the sofa with the planet rock just chilling out.
    Have a tv in kitchen that can listen to aswell when cooking etc.

Ah see, most people will never go to that trouble :)

I've been listening to Today XM on the computer today whilst doing other things in here. It's really good and I'm enjoying the mix of old favourites, songs I've not heard in ages and songs I've never heard at all. It can't continue indefinitely without ads though, surely? At the moment it's a glorified Spotify playlist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I must say, REALLY impressed by TodayXM.

Not many weak songs on it so far.

And discovering some artists I'd never heard of, and which you'd never hear if you only catch daytime radio.

One example, Ezra Furman "Love You So Bad", fantastic. 1st time I ever heard of him.
    I recommend his song "My Zero", it's hella catchy.

If you don't want to install the app, you can listen to it through the browser on your phone. Just go to the Today FM website and find the Listen Live for Today FM. I can't speak for iOS but it works just fine on android.

There are loads on online radio stations and streaming services out there. I think this one is capturing our attention because it's an Irish one and is attached to a radio station we once enjoyed a lot.

Cheers, will do that on android!

Have seen various stations & listened to some from time to time & have the hifi & soundbar attached to various devices below the telly:)

But other ways of listening is always wanted, also no doubt i always wondered how there were UK callers to Liveline, til i realised Joe TinTin Duffy:p is on satellite inc all the other Rte stations!

The app's not that awful though. I just have a personal objection to installing needless apps on my phone. I don't see why I should clog it up with radio station apps of all things, especially when you can access them through TuneIn and the likes. I see Today XM is on TuneIn now anyway.

I'm sure a lot of Joe's listeners are listening online these days ;)

The app's not that awful though. I just have a personal objection to installing needless apps on my phone. I don't see why I should clog it up with radio station apps of all things, especially when you can access them through TuneIn and the likes. I see Today XM is on TuneIn now anyway.

Now when you mention it, just seen i d/loaded this & forgot it was there,
    It says TXFM isn't available on the ironically named Radio Ireland app? :P

It's a straightforward app, nothing great, are there more functions with the others?

I'm sure a lot of Joe's listeners are listening online these days ;)
    I'd say a lot of those silver surfers are more connected than me :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭nc6000

Sunday Brunch didn't last long. It isn't on today.

Advertisement