Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭penelope2012

Good to know it’s on tunein now I must favorite it now.
    The app's not that awful though. I just have a personal objection to installing needless apps on my phone. I don't see why I should clog it up with radio station apps of all things, especially when you can access them through TuneIn and the likes. I see Today XM is on TuneIn now anyway.

I'm sure a lot of Joe's listeners are listening online these days ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Switched on the 90s station after D&D this morning. Really enjoying it. No ads & no waffle is great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Had a dream last night that Dave Davin/Daithi O'Daibhin took over the weekday lunchtime show. Perfect short speed links, nice relaxed voice, no yappering on about trivial things....

Oh if only...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Was working from home most of today, so tried out TodayXM for my background noise (would usually be 8Radio/181.fm). It's absolutely fine, can't help thinking some of the ex-TXFM staff that are still there are doing the playlists, some very familiar selections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Fergal Darcy Is waffling on YET AGAIN about his school days.
    I really think this guy has issues.
    It’s just bizarre at this stage.

• Advertisement

johnire wrote: »
    Fergal Darcy Is waffling on YET AGAIN about his school days.
    I really think this guy has issues.
    It’s just bizarre at this stage.

Dave D would never do that. Why do bigger stations not really go for speed link DJs like him anymore? It is a shame that people like Steve K never make it beyond local stations. Some of the music Steve plays wouldn't be my thing, but I do have to hand it to him for leaving the talking to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Text in a funny childhood memory...your favourite chocolate bar...a time you embarrassed yourself in public....an act of kindness you saw...a place you can go to clear you head...your biggest fashion mistake...the most money you ever wasted...the most Irish thing ever...

Blah blah blah. Same jaded formula every day, every programme, every station. Trivial nonsense.

What is the idea behind this crap and who actually texts in??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Text in a funny childhood memory...your favourite chocolate bar...a time you embarrassed yourself in public....an act of kindness you saw...a place you can go to clear you head...your biggest fashion mistake...the most money you ever wasted...the most Irish thing ever...

Blah blah blah. Same jaded formula every day, every programme, every station. Trivial nonsense.

Probably the same people dancing around their kitchen with their 3 year old triplets listening to Curtis

There's always Dave Davin and Steve K who have short links and more music. If you listen to them on their SPIN shows (the station's two longest serving djs) you already know that :-)

You have summed it up so well- it’s absolute drivel. Darcy is the worst culprit followed by Muireann OConnell.

• Advertisement

johnire wrote: »
    You have summed it up so well- it’s absolute drivel. Darcy is the worst culprit followed by Muireann OConnell.

See my point above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

See my point above.

Is Dave D the new Dara Quilty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

That's it exactly. A lot of shows now depend on user generated content and that is very easy to get now with whatsapp being free to text in. I'm sick of it, they read the newspaper, see a funny story, then ask for users similar stories, over and over and over...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,805 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    That's it exactly. A lot of shows now depend on user generated content and that is very easy to get now with whatsapp being free to text in. I'm sick of it, they read the newspaper, see a funny story, then ask for users similar stories, over and over and over...

When you listen to the likes of Today XM, it makes you realise that there really is no need for a DJ at all.

Except on talk radio of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

NIMAN wrote: »
    When you listen to the likes of Today XM, it makes you realise that there really is no need for a DJ at all.

I stuck it on for a few minutes earlier and they were playing Pearl Jam. I think I'll be listening to a lot more of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

NIMAN wrote: »

Ah I wouldn't go that far. I like to hear a human voice every now and then on the radio. The problem is that there is now far too much chat and it's mostly inane rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ah I wouldn't go that far. I like to hear a human voice every now and then on the radio. The problem is that there is now far too much chat and it's mostly inane rubbish.
    The presenter is the star of the show now rather than the music driving the show.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Is Dave D the new Dara Quilty?

He's better. A more-music DJ with very speedy links. He does Top 40 Oifiguil na hEireann on SPIN on Sundays.

His VO reel: https://s3.amazonaws.com/piehole/recordings/7830/Dave_Davin_-_VO_Demo_2014.mp3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

No complaints here the last few weeks. I told ye Paula would be good, better than Muireann at least. I've never seen Paula but my god she has the sexiest voice and laugh I've ever heard. I'm afraid to Google her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

No complaints here the last few weeks. I told ye Paula would be good, better than Muireann at least. I've never seen Paula but my god she has the sexiest voice and laugh I've ever heard. I'm afraid to Google her

She looks pretty good - Google her

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yeah, there was a guy who used to lose the run of himself in here whenever she was mentioned.

Still think Muireann is only short-term, think they will get a higher profile DJ very soon. Rory Cowan anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭statto25

Still think Muireann is only short-term, think they will get a higher profile DJ very soon. Rory Cowan anyone?

The fella from Mrs Brown's boys........get out of it Mikey

statto25 wrote: »
    The fella from Mrs Brown's boys........get out of it Mikey

I just know it will happen at some point :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,805 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Re: Today XM on the App.

I've been listening to it a few hours over the last week, and it does seem to have a limited playlist or database of songs.

I have heard repeats quite often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

I know Louise Duffy gets a lot of criticism here I can't really comment on it because I rarely hear her shows but I had her show on this evening for the last hour and I thought it was quality. It was 90s and early 00s hip hop and rnb. Is this a regular thing on a Friday evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I know Louise Duffy gets a lot of criticism here I can't really comment on it because I rarely hear her shows but I had her show on this evening for the last hour and I thought it was quality. It was 90s and early 00s hip hop and rnb. Is this a regular thing on a Friday evening?
    Yeah, it replaced Friday Night 80s.

If you can, try Eds Songs of Praise on Sunday evening too, my favourite show of the week, great music selection on it.

I never particularly liked her but she is so much better than Muireann. I have to say I’m really warming to her now and just wish they’d get rid of Muireann and replace her with Paula. She’s so much easier to listen to than Muireann and her incredibly annoying accent and her totally over the top fake hysteria over the slightest thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Heard some of eds songs of praise show earlier for the first time,Sunday evening is a really bad time for me to try listen to the radio,anyway what a great show,if only a show like this could be on in the afternoon on weekdays

• Advertisement

Heard some of eds songs of praise show earlier for the first time,Sunday evening is a really bad time for me to try listen to the radio,anyway what a great show,if only a show like this could be on in the afternoon on weekdays

I would love that.

Advertisement