Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

BPKS wrote: »
    They have the triple barrelled name one from AA Roadwatch on the Last Word now doing TV along with former AA Roadwatch girl Louise Duffy. She also seems to be doing more and more chit chat with Dempsey on the Breakfast Show. They seem to be testing the water with her to see if she'll make the jump like Duffy did.

qualifications to get a show on Today FM must be low, Baula,Louise and Ferg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Over on Today FM, the station says it too is celebrating an increase in listeners, up 10,000 daily.

The Last Word with Matt Cooper now reaches an audience of 138,000 (+4,000 on the last quarter of 2017 and +8,000 on last year). Ian Dempsey’s show is up 3,000 listeners on last quarter, while Dermot and Dave’s mid-morning slot is up 1,000 to 162,000. Newest presenter Muireann O’Connell is up 3,000 to 101,000, with Fergal D’Arcy up 2,000 to 104,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MetaQ

Over on Today FM, the station says it too is celebrating an increase in listeners, up 10,000 daily.

The Last Word with Matt Cooper now reaches an audience of 138,000 (+4,000 on the last quarter of 2017 and +8,000 on last year). Ian Dempsey’s show is up 3,000 listeners on last quarter, while Dermot and Dave’s mid-morning slot is up 1,000 to 162,000. Newest presenter Muireann O’Connell is up 3,000 to 101,000, with Fergal D’Arcy up 2,000 to 104,000.

Let's dig out the calculators.

To use one example: Dermot and Dave have added a thousand listeners in the last 3 months. Still lower than Anton Savage when he was dropped. This is actually a drop of 14,000 in the last year, but a slight increase in the last 3 months. Champagne corks popping.

Find another 9,000 listeners like this in the other shows, add them together and you have a "very strong performance for the station" (quote from CEO Keith McCormack) but in reality a chocolate teapot.

When a national station is digging into the 3-month book for a *combined across the day* 10,000 listener increase you have to ask what the margin of error is in the JNLR for a station of that scale. Clue: it's much wider than 10,000 listeners *combined across the day*. So basically, they are as bad if not worse than they ever were.

Nothing to see here, move along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

Today FM is a very poor station now to what it was on the 2000's

I listened to all the shows (mon to fri) this week for the first time in a long while & it's so poor if I am being brutally honest

Anton Savage was 10 times better than Dermot & Dave are now in the 9am weekday slot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,238 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

razorblunt wrote: »
    Isn't Paula pregnant at the moment?

Is she ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Who take over the drivetime show on 2FM. :-)

Larry Gogan :D
    Maybe she will, and if so Paula will get a 1-4pm slot.

They tried with Phil 'the power' Cawley :rolleyes:
    razorblunt wrote: »
    Isn't Paula pregnant at the moment?

Must be something in the water, as so is Pam(ela) Blake, as when Buzzkill was in Todayfm, there were amost 2 on rotation on his show like Mairead/Jenny etc

But trust Iano with the showbiz exclusives, like the time he 'let slip:rolleyes: about Ray & Jenny' even on Paula who does it every morn, but afaik it looked like fake news :p

https://twitter.com/sweetpmac/status/857476208518475776

Ironically, she posted the baby news, almost a year to the day:p

https://twitter.com/sweetpmac/status/988466532387782656

https://extra.ie/2018/04/25/entertainment/entertainment-news/today-fm-presenter-paula-macsweeney-tweets-her-lovely-news-to-fans
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    I like Karl Deeter, he's great!

Larissa Nolan was good fun today too.

Making that slot a two person one again was a great idea and so was making it a bit more light hearted.

I only caught the last part, was it her that said "Even i'd get off with the wall:P"
    Trebor176 wrote: »
    It must be Esther O'Moore Donoghue. She has had gigs on TXFM and Christmas FM, so maybe she will get a show somewhere on Today FM.

Afaik, i heard she has a podcast called the full 99?

Seems to be a trend with AA Girls, i remember Orla Rapple on The Full Irish back then, got her own gig on R1 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Dave Davin for lunchtime show please.

What about this as a schedule?
    05:00-07:00 Paula or Muireann
    07:00-10:00 Ian Dempsey
    10:00-13:00 Rory Cowan & Dave Moore
    13:00-16:00 Dave Davin
    16:00-19:00 The Last Word
    19:00-20:00 Off the Ball Xtra
    20:00-22:00 Lost in Music with Louise Duffy
    22:00-01:00 Paul McLoone

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

What about this as a schedule?
    05:00-07:00 Paula or Muireann
    07:00-10:00 Ian Dempsey
    10:00-13:00 Rory Cowan & Dave Moore
    13:00-16:00 Dave Davin
    16:00-19:00 The Last Word
    19:00-20:00 Off the Ball Xtra
    20:00-22:00 Lost in Music with Louise Duffy
    22:00-01:00 Paul McLoone

1. What did poor Dermot Whelan do to miss out? Although Say Stuff would be a little different I guess!

2. I'm not sure the former RTE journalist David Davin-Power would be suited to lunchtime radio?

3. Off the Ball on two stations at the same time for an hour. Why?

1. What did poor Dermot Whelan do to miss out? Although Say Stuff would be a little different I guess!

2. I'm not sure the former RTE journalist David Davin-Power would be suited to lunchtime radio?

1. I'd give him Delamere's old slot, maybe with Dara Quilty as a co-host. By the way I still think D&D were a missed opportunity for RTÉ 2FM.
    2. I mean Dave Davin from SPIN 1038.
    3. Similarly to Game On on 2FM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Why react? It’s like pie in the sky stuff! No basis to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Rory Cowan??? That has to be a joke. Unless you feel the schedule is missing a token queen? He's old enough to be the father of some of the presenters.

Rory Cowan??? That has to be a joke. Unless you feel the schedule is missing a token queen? He's old enough to be the father of some of the presenters.

If it is a big name replacement for Al Porter they want, it's either Rory or Whitmore. Also Dave Davin doing a 3 hour show of less talk and more music would be brilliant.

If it is a big name replacement for Al Porter they want, it's either Rory or Whitmore. Also Dave Davin doing a 3 hour show of less talk and more music would be brilliant.

Ah here... your Whimore shît was blown away so let’s not go there with the Rory rubbish!

Rory Cowan is 59 years of age this year. I bothered to look it up. You must be out of your mind.

Rory Cowan is 59 years of age this year. I bothered to look it up. You must be out of your mind.

Larry Gogan is even older.

Yes but Larry Gogan is an RTE lifer who will most likely be carried out of there in a box. He and Dave Fanning stick out like sore thumbs on 2fm but there's nowhere else to put them. Today FM has been burning off its older presenters. They're not going to take on an auld lad who's eligible for the bus pass in a few years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Yes but Larry Gogan is an RTE lifer who will most likely be carried out of there in a box. He and Dave Fanning stick out like sore thumbs on 2fm but there's nowhere else to put them. Today FM has been burning off its older presenters. They're not going to take on an auld lad who's eligible for the bus pass in a few years time.

I love Dave's show at the weekend! Yes he's cynical as ever but its refreshing. His topics are excellent too!

I'm not knocking Dave, BTW. I listen to his show sometimes and I'm subscribed to the podcast. The issue is that 2fm is a yoof oriented station and his show sticks out like a sore thumb in that regard. But there's nowhere else to put him. There's no room on Radio 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,175 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Today XM playing U2 Desire at the moment.

I thought Today XM was meant to be alternative music. U2 are forced on us during almost every Today FM show, surely no need to include them on the XM playlist. Next they will have the likes of feckin Koda-play and Cold-line on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

BPKS wrote: »
    Today XM playing U2 Desire at the moment.

I thought Today XM was meant to be alternative music. U2 are forced on us during almost every Today FM show, surely no need to include them on the XM playlist. Next they will have the likes of feckin Koda-play and Cold-line on it.

I cant remember the last time I heard U2 actually?

pjohnson wrote: »
    I cant remember the last time I heard U2 actually?

They were played today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

I'm not knocking Dave, BTW. I listen to his show sometimes and I'm subscribed to the podcast. The issue is that 2fm is a yoof oriented station and his show sticks out like a sore thumb in that regard. But there's nowhere else to put him. There's no room on Radio 1.

Would RTE Gold not be an ideal place for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭statto25

Louise Duffy pregnant too. Must be something in the water in TodayFM. Going on Maternity leave next month according to her Instagram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

statto25 wrote: »
    Louise Duffy pregnant too. Must be something in the water in TodayFM. Going on Maternity leave next month according to her Instagram.

Claire Beck to step in for her hopefully

gamecube wrote: »
    Would RTE Gold not be an ideal place for him?

Not for the people who give out yards that there are any presenters on RTE Gold at all.

threein99 wrote: »
    Claire Beck to step in for her hopefully

That would be a good choice. Liked her on TX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭nc6000

I see Susan Keogh was standing in for Matt Cooper yesterday, they missed a great opportunity to have her interview herself for the Six at Six. ;)

Like when Gollum talked to himself in Lord of the Rings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Promote Ed Smith to having his own show...once its not Paula MacSweeeney its fine

Advertisement