Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The station has really gone to the dogs recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

NIMAN wrote: »
    The station has really gone to the dogs recently.

Yes indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

They had a segment yesterday about what year it was when you were 14 or something. Almost every text read out the texters were 14 in the 80s and 90s

And Dempseys chart rewind, the older songs always seem to win the text vote.

Why then is there programming aimed at 18-24 year olds. It's baffling!

I'm 25 and I'd rather listen to 90's and 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

what'll they do with gift grub now , since the crap Morgan Freeman done to death shawshank redemption piece made up 50 % of the content ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Downloaded the radio X UK app and BBC radio app yesterday.

Done with Irish radio I think.....

Probably won't use BBC too much but meh

• Advertisement

Downloaded the radio X UK app and BBC radio app yesterday.

Done with Irish radio I think.....

Probably won't use BBC too much but meh

As I type I'm listening to Non Stop 90s, 88.1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭fire_man

The Morgan Freeman piece wasn't on last Monday so presume they will pull it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Is the Morgan freeman thing got to do with the recent harrassment reports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭prunudo

And Dempseys chart rewind, the older songs always seem to win the text vote.

That doesn't make sense, the chart rewinds are all from the same year, top 5 songs from this week in such and such a year

Still think Dave Davin should get a weekday show on Today FM. he would have been my choice to replace Al Porter. If it's a music driven show you want, he's your man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Still think Dave Davin should get a weekday show on Today FM. he would have been my choice to replace Al Porter. If it's a music driven show you want, he's your man.

So tell us Mikey, have you any interest in radio at all?

So tell us Mikey, have you any interest in radio at all?

I do. Especially DJs who don't talk too much and play quality music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What did Dara Quilty do wrong to fall out of favour?

pjohnson wrote: »
    What did Dara Quilty do wrong to fall out of favour?

I still like him, just don't want to go on about him as much as I used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭statto25

I thought Ruth Scott was getting the lunchtime show?

Today fm weekends have grown on me a lot lately, good selection of music and decent Dj’s. Phil Cawley has grown on me after all these years, stil la bit of a cheese ball but the music selection makes up for it

Ian was interviewing Sting this morning in the studio. He sounded like he was doing a transition year interview project! A bit cringe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Ian's interviews are always cringe :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Ian has turned into Larry Gogan!!
    Ian's interviews are always cringe :(

I was listening today on the way to work, and had to switch off when it got to the TV slot.

First programme, Love Island. This show really has got dumbed down. Has Matt got no control on whats discussed at all?

• Advertisement

I was listening today on the way to work, and had to switch off when it got to the TV slot.

First programme, Love Island. This show really has got dumbed down. Has Matt got no control on whats discussed at all?

What is Love Island about? I've heard of it but don't know what it is. Think it might have been on last night but I wouldn't know because it clashed with LCD Soundsystem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Ah now, pull the other one Mikey. Weren't you only going on the other day about Eoghan McDermott narrating the Aussie version of it?

Ah now, pull the other one Mikey. Weren't you only going on the other day about Eoghan McDermott narrating the Aussie version of it?

It's called humour.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I have to wonder whether the change in producers has had a major impact on the content of the show. It used to be Patrick Haughey during its heyday and a bit beyond and now it's produced iirc by Mary Carroll and or Julie Nic Gáibhín (sp?)

Obviously, the content is now mostly fluff with a bit of discussion around the main news stories. The filler (now fluff) used to be much better, with decent interviews of politicians and other prominent figures but that's gone now in favour of magazine-style content, which isn't really what TLW was ever about when Haughey was setting the agenda.

Again, it may be a dictat from on high to aim the show at 25-24-year-olds or whatever but if that's the case, I cannot for the life of me understand why there was a huge segment (or indeed theme, motif, if you'll allow me) in today's show targetting parents of children of at least school-going age. Imo and without the stats to hand, that would be mostly late 30s/early 40s if not older.

Lots of mixed signals from Today FM these days anyway.

I have to wonder whether the change in producers has had a major impact on the content of the show. It used to be Patrick Haughey during its heyday and a bit beyond and now it's produced iirc by Mary Carroll and or Julie Nic Gh(sp?)

Obviously, the content is now mostly fluff with a bit of discussion around the main news stories. The filler (now fluff) used to be much better, with decent interviews of politicians and other prominent figures but that's gone now in favour of magazine-style content, which isn't really what TLW was ever about when Haughey was setting the agenda.

Again, it may be a dictat from on high to aim the show at 25-24-year-olds or whatever but if that's the case, I cannot for the life of me understand why there was a huge segment (or indeed theme, motif, if you'll allow me) in today's show targetting parents of children of at least school-going age. Imo and without the stats to hand, that would be mostly late 30s/early 40s if not older.

Lots of mixed signals from Today FM these days anyway.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and will probably get ripped to shreds for this, but I'm going to say it anyway.

Could this new change in direction be due to the influence of the fairer sex?

You say it is now produced by at least one woman.

The TV piece in question tonight has 2 female contributors, one of them another TodayFM presenter whose name escapes me now. And the music review slot, another piece I really used to enjoy, has got very irratating too since O'Reagan became a main contributor, she does nothing but argue with the male person, whoever he is.

Love Island is a fluff programme, and it is no surprise it was the main topic of conversation on the TV slot last night when 2 women were the guests. I would say their demographic is likely the main audience for muck TV shows like that. All style and no substance.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't to say that all women like rubbish TV, or all men like complicated, deep TV, but I suspect if 2 men had been on last night then Love Island wouldn't have been discussed at all (unless Patrick Freyne was one of them, he seems to like the trashy stuff). The fact that its probably making waves on social media attracts a 'certain crowd'.

There, I've said it.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and will probably get ripped to shreds for this, but I'm going to say it anyway.

Could this new change in direction be due to the influence of the fairer sex?

You say it is now produced by at least one woman.

The TV piece in question tonight has 2 female contributors, one of them another TodayFM presenter whose name escapes me now. And the music review slot, another piece I really used to enjoy, has got very irratating too since O'Reagan became a main contributor, she does nothing but argue with the male person, whoever he is.

Love Island is a fluff programme, and it is no surprise it was the main topic of conversation on the TV slot last night when 2 women were the guests. I would say their demographic is likely the main audience for muck TV shows like that. All style and no substance.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't to say that all women like rubbish TV, or all men like complicated, deep TV, but I suspect if 2 men had been on last night then Love Island wouldn't have been discussed at all. The fact that its probably making waves on social media attracts a 'certain crowd'.

There, I've said it.
    Future series of LI should be more like "The Real Lost", that would make it far more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Why can't Muireann just say what song is next instead this guessing game she likes to play with the little clues she gives

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Why can't Muireann just say what song is next instead this guessing game she likes to play with the little clues she gives

Time to give Dave Davin the slot. He keeps his links as short as possible and doesn't go on and on about inane bull****. My favourite DJ in all of Communicorp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

This evening Matt had a bit of a go at Katie Taylors statement last night in relation to he being used to sell newspapers etc
    my question is, now that Matt has gone completely PC, if Katie was Gay or Transgender, would he even have broached the subject tonight.
    I only put on TLW for the 5 at 5 or 6 at 6, mostly for the sports, but turn off and listen to Ivan most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

This evening Matt had a bit of a go at Katie Taylors statement last night in relation to he being used to sell newspapers etc
    my question is, now that Matt has gone completely PC, if Katie was Gay or Transgender, would he even have broached the subject tonight.
    I only put on TLW for the 5 at 5 or 6 at 6, mostly for the sports, but turn off and listen to Ivan most of the time.

I turn it off for the "news" - ****ing hate that format.

Advertisement