Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,800 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,800 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The 5 @ 5 and the 6 @ 6 are the worst parts of the entire show!

Are you mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

What's with playing kasabian's in love with a psycho so often?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

The computer algorithm which sets the playlists likes it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I have a very good question here. How did Feargal Farcey EVER get a primetime show on national radio??? Let alone lasted nearly 3 years in the job??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭robo

I have a very good question here. How did Feargal Farcey EVER get a primetime show on national radio???
    I wonder that too
    Aren't himself & his producer Ed Smith's taste in music a bit like chalk & cheese? I'm not dissing Ed as a producer but Fergal Darcy's show is painful yet I live for Sunday nights Ed's Songs of Praise, the eclectic mix of songs is great

robo wrote: »
    I wonder that too
    Aren't himself & his producer Ed Smith's taste in music a bit like chalk & cheese? I'm not dissing Ed as a producer but Fergal Darcy's show is painful yet I live for Sunday nights Ed's Songs of Praise, the eclectic mix of songs is great

Feargal has the charisma and charm of a door knocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb here, and will probably get ripped to shreds for this, but I'm going to say it anyway.

Could this new change in direction be due to the influence of the fairer sex?

You say it is now produced by at least one woman.

The TV piece in question tonight has 2 female contributors, one of them another TodayFM presenter whose name escapes me now. And the music review slot, another piece I really used to enjoy, has got very irratating too since O'Reagan became a main contributor, she does nothing but argue with the male person, whoever he is.

Love Island is a fluff programme, and it is no surprise it was the main topic of conversation on the TV slot last night when 2 women were the guests. I would say their demographic is likely the main audience for muck TV shows like that. All style and no substance.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't to say that all women like rubbish TV, or all men like complicated, deep TV, but I suspect if 2 men had been on last night then Love Island wouldn't have been discussed at all (unless Patrick Freyne was one of them, he seems to like the trashy stuff). The fact that its probably making waves on social media attracts a 'certain crowd'.

There, I've said it.

does every female who does reviews have to do a feminist rant on their bit...O'Regans not bad on her show but looking for "oppression" gets on my wick and the less said about the tv presenters, who go whinging about feminism/offended and then pick crap like celeb big brother or some gammy reality show being "picks to watch"....

there was a female producer a year or two back and left, and then matt started getting worse/pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

That sums him up perfectly! How is this guy on a nationwide radio station? He’s absolutely terrible.
    Feargal has the charisma and charm of a door knocker.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I have a very good question here. How did Feargal Farcey EVER get a primetime show on national radio??? Let alone lasted nearly 3 years in the job??

Because when he was on iRadio he had one of the most listened to drivetime shows in the country for the bones of 10 years, despite not covering Dublin or Cork.

He's more than earned his position, just because you don't like him doesn't mean he hasn't earned it. His numbers keep going up as well, so he's doing something right.

It seems you're very inconsistent when it comes to what it takes to be a national presenter. What has Dave Davin done apart from host a pre-recorded chart show in Irish? Yet you think the absolute world of him. He's grand, don't get me wrong, but he's nowhere near D'Arcy's level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

The station has died a horrible death. I use to listen 5 days a week from morning till evening when in work, bit by bit started to listen less, now I listen to podcasts in work, whoever took over the running of the station deserves a medal for completely destroying a radio station in such a short time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    The station has died a horrible death. I use to listen 5 days a week from morning till evening when in work, bit by bit started to listen less, now I listen to podcasts in work, whoever took over the running of the station deserves a medal for completely destroying a radio station in such a short time...

Have to agree. Was sitting down at the laptop all day on Tuesday and didn't turn on Today FM all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Someone had it on at work last week. I haven't heard Today FM daytime radio in so so long. It was shocking. The same 10 songs on a playlist from Dermot and Dave onwards. (Dermot and Dave in particular annoy the sh*t out of me. The others are harmless enough, just inoffensive)
    Though, at 41, I'm probably not their target market.
    TLW isn't the same as it was. The 6 at 6 is pretty silly. Find myself switching over to Ivan Yates more and more on the journey home and like his low level trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

The saddos demeaning themselves ringing up Ian Dempssy for the ' mystery voice ' which goes up by 50 euro a day .,cringfully pathetic , then if they get it wrong he says/ shouts --" don't let it ruin your day! ", I Wish someone would reply " you're grand Ian , I Might be a sad case ringing up but I'm not that hopeless "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    +1

Just 18 months ago, I used listen all day, every day, except for Saturday and Sunday mornings. Now I just listen to Ian in the morning, maybe D&D a bit and change over to Ronan Collins or local radio till 2. Muireann, well lets just say I don't find everything in the world to be that exciting.

Ferg, I can take or leave, tbh, he doesn't annoy me like some here but I find Newstalk from 2 on to be easier to listen to. I mean, by the time D&D are over I have heard all the songs that TodayFM are going to play for the day so why listen to the same songs being repeated again and again and again...

Weekends, I just tune in for Ed's Songs Of Praise, the rest does nothing for me at all.

And on that note, I'll leave this thread. TodayFM of old has gone and I have little interest in todays incarnation so take care, it's been a pleasure discussing the station with you all:)

+1

Just 18 months ago, I used listen all day, every day, except for Saturday and Sunday mornings. Now I just listen to Ian in the morning, maybe D&D a bit and change over to Ronan Collins or local radio till 2. Muireann, well lets just say I don't find everything in the world to be that exciting.

Ferg, I can take or leave, tbh, he doesn't annoy me like some here but I find Newstalk from 2 on to be easier to listen to. I mean, by the time D&D are over I have heard all the songs that TodayFM are going to play for the day so why listen to the same songs being repeated again and again and again...

Weekends, I just tune in for Ed's Songs Of Praise, the rest does nothing for me at all.

And on that note, I'll leave this thread. TodayFM of old has gone and I have little interest in todays incarnation so take care, it's been a pleasure discussing the station with you all:)

I prefer 98FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

What is Today FM's target audience these days?

They have turned off a lot of their loyal listeners that have listened to the station from the start

And have they replaced the older listeners with younger ones?

My answer is no & the age breakdown of the JNLR figures confirms this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

gamecube wrote: »
    What is Today FM's target audience these days?

They have turned off a lot of their loyal listeners that have listened to the station from the start

And have they replaced the older listeners with younger ones?

My answer is no & the age breakdown of the JNLR figures confirms this

morons who watch the Kardashians/Love island and SJW's (for Coopers show)

morons who watch the Kardashians/Love island and SJW's (for Coopers show)

That wouldn't be me so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Oops69 wrote: »
    The saddos demeaning themselves ringing up Ian Dempssy for the ' mystery voice ' which goes up by 50 euro a day .,cringfully pathetic , then if they get it wrong he says/ shouts --" don't let it ruin your day! ", I Wish someone would reply " you're grand Ian , I Might be a sad case ringing up but I'm not that hopeless "

Jaysus. I take it you didnt get through for the big one a few weeks ago?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Oops69 wrote: »

Do you not undertstand the definition of that word ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Strange rant. I enjoy all the quizzes more than everything else on the station, bar that new on ferg does, talking rubbish or something? God it's terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭statto25

Strange rant. I enjoy all the quizzes more than everything else on the station, bar that new on ferg does, talking rubbish or something? God it's terrible.

Shocking but if you need an authority to adjudicate on talking sh1te, then Ferg is your only man.

statto25 wrote: »
    Shocking but if you need an authority to adjudicate on talking sh1te, then Ferg is your only man.

Still can't understand how he is three years at it on national radio. Listening figures over talent, I guess.

statto25 wrote: »

Still can't understand how he is three years at it on national radio. Listening figures over talent, I guess.

Well they're not going to risk getting rid of someone with increasing figures because Mikey Taylor on boards doesn't like him, to be fair.

Presenters are judged on their figures, and that's something that hasn't been a problem for him no matter where he's been.

He is who he is. He wouldn't be my best cuppa but I don't think he's anywhere near as bad as some people make him out to be. We all have our likes and dislikes. I'm not personally too keen on Dermot and Dave but yet they've always been popular from their 98 days

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Today FM is a commercial radio station. Listening figures are the only thing that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

marno21 wrote: »
    Today FM is a commercial radio station. Listening figures are the only thing that matters.

But listenership figures are pretty poor these days compared to a few years ago

I would do what Dan Healy did with 2fm, clear everybody out from the 7am-7pm weekday lineup & make it into a station we can all listen to all day again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

The worst are the Muppets that call in with only 2 guesses for the breakfast competition like what's the fcking point of that it's These 3 words !!!

gamecube wrote: »
    marno21 wrote: »

But listenership figures are pretty poor these days compared to a few years ago

I would do what Dan Healy did with 2fm, clear everybody out from the 7am-7pm weekday lineup & make it into a station we can all listen to all day again

But in the case of D'Arcy, they're better than what they were when he took that slot, which he got after improving the figures in the evening slot, which he was given after 10 years of consistently high figures at iRadio.

Like I've said, people can judge his abilities and that's all down to opinion, but he is where he is because he has always delivered no matter where he is and I think it's quite sad for people to be saying stuff like 'how is he a national radio presenter and how has managed to become one for the last three years?' When they have access to all of the same facts that I have provided.

I know facts don't sit well on this forum, but it's always been the case that D'Arcy is listener friendly, even if a lot of people here don't like him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Some absolute embarassment txted to Cooper going full trumpite. Complaining about "Liberal Media not reporting on Trumps Amazing historic achievements" and how its "Sad"......only for Cooper to say that that was on later :pac:

Advertisement