Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Is the host the wan who goes on feminst rants on the last word

Shes the one who goes on feminist rants on the tv and music piece on tlw, yes.
    They Have 4-5 others so they can spread the nonsense around the other segments as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

How about giving Louise Duffy the lunchtime show when she comes back, and keeping Ed on the 7-9pm slot permanently?

Lol she’s worse than muirean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,175 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

songs in the key of life is being discontinued

That’s a pity. It was a good fit after Ed’s Songs of Praise.

I suppose with all the shows with decent music like Kelly Anne Byrne, Declan Pierce and Ed on the weekend, they felt they needed to inflict the nation with The Script, Coldplay and Ed Sheeran on a Sunday night to set them up for what they’d be hearing for the rest of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Still don't know why Dermot and Dave never got a show on RTE 2FM, they'd have been the perfect replacement for Colm and Jim Jim when they left. Hell, the original rumour in December 2013 was that Dermot Whelan was going to be part of Breakfast Republic. It was such a missed opportunity for someone who, having been a regular on Republic of Telly amongst others, knew RTÉ like the back of his hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Still don't know why Dermot and Dave never got a show on RTE 2FM, they'd have been the perfect replacement for Colm and Jim Jim when they left. Hell, the original rumour in December 2013 was that Dermot Whelan was going to be part of Breakfast Republic. It was such a missed opportunity for someone who, having been a regular on Republic of Telly amongst others, knew RTÉ like the back of his hand.

He prob considered more factors besides knowing the layout of the building

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I don’t know Mikey, my bet is they’re playing the long game and hoping Lara Whitmore and Dara Quilty have a child and that child could eventually be the new host, with you as Producer of the show (and Publicity Manager).

Your fawning over mediocrity leaves me wondering that were you ever to find yourself in a position of power in RTÉ would your first move be to half PrimeTime to Lottie Ryan or to commission Joe Duffy’s elocution programme “Speak Proper and dat”.

I just hope you’re trolling and don’t actually believe the stuff you write.

I don’t know Mikey, my bet is they’re playing the long game and hoping Lara Whitmore and Dara Quilty have a child and that child could eventually be the new host, with you as Producer of the show (and Publicity Manager).

Your fawning over mediocrity leaves me wondering that were you ever to find yourself in a position of power in RTÉ would your first move be to half PrimeTime to Lottie Ryan or to commission Joe Duffy’s elocution programme “Speak Proper and dat”.

I just hope you’re trolling and don’t actually believe the stuff you write.

So you don't like Dermot and Dave?

Why settle for 2FM? Hollywood should be their next stop, with maybe a stop off at SNL along the way......they are probably the funniest people on the planet......in your head.

Lol she’s worse than muirean.

I disagree.

No Mikey I don’t. It’s so fake and contrived and not even remotely funny. This high-energy, zany, Ker-azy shtick is pretty common on msinstream stations in the UK and US for breakfast, but by mid-morning and midday it wears very thin. Their inability to deliver anything without laughing (fakely) is the radio equivalent of canned laughter, and their endless self-promotion and self-praise is nauseating. It’s absolutely lowest common denominator “comedy” radio. It’s truly terrible. Only Breakfast Republic compares to it for crapness, and Al Porter. But you probably like both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

No Mikey I don’t. It’s so fake and contrived and not even remotely funny. This high-energy, zany, Ker-azy shtick is pretty common on msinstream stations in the UK and US for breakfast, but by mid-morning and midday it wears very thin. Their inability to deliver anything without laughing (fakely) is the radio equivalent of canned laughter, and their endless self-promotion and self-praise is nauseating. It’s absolutely lowest common denominator “comedy” radio. It’s truly terrible. Only Breakfast Republic compares to it for crispness, and Al Porter. But you probably like both.

I bet you are great fun to be around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,800 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see Nadine O'Regan has lost her slot on 'Songs in the Key of Life'.

I wonder what Matt Cooper will introduce her now as? That was her identity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

First time listening to Block Rock n beats. Much better than the electric disco over on 2fm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,800 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah, these types of shows just demonstrate how much good music there is out there, pity the likes of TodayFM and RTE wouldn't play more during the day instead of the staple diet of Ed Sheeran, Picture This, The Coronas, Taylor Swift etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭prunudo

First time listening to Block Rock n beats. Much better than the electric disco over on 2fm

Declan Pierce is a better all round dj I find. Jenny's show has gone a bit stale, she used to have a friday night show which was good, playing more modern and recent dance music, they should bring that format in for the electric disco. Also the show that follows on 2fm is muck, but that might just be my personal taste in music.

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I bet you are great fun to be around

If your definition of fun to be around means thinking Dermot & Dave are hilarious, then you’ve led a pretty sheltered life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

NIMAN wrote: »

in my head it would be In a Michael Buffer style voice "The always offended and oppressed" Nadine O'Regan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

NIMAN wrote: »

I wonder will she come onto The Last Word now that her show has been axed? She has gone public and said she's very upset and disappointed at it being cancelled. Will John Cadell have anyone to bicker with now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I have to say I do agree with you I can tolerate both of them much more than either Muireann O’Connell or Fergal Darcy but only to a point.
    They can be funny but I really think they both need to realise that they’re both in their 40’s and no longer “lads”. They can be cringe worthy sometimes the way they go on and I could honestly throw the radio out the window when they start that topic about Irish things. They have done that to death and someone needs to tell them it’s just not interesting or funny any longer.....Fergal Darcy take note as well.
    They’re totally in the wrong slot and on for an hour too long.

No Mikey I don’t. It’s so fake and contrived and not even remotely funny. This high-energy, zany, Ker-azy shtick is pretty common on msinstream stations in the UK and US for breakfast, but by mid-morning and midday it wears very thin. Their inability to deliver anything without laughing (fakely) is the radio equivalent of canned laughter, and their endless self-promotion and self-praise is nauseating. It’s absolutely lowest common denominator “comedy” radio. It’s truly terrible. Only Breakfast Republic compares to it for crapness, and Al Porter. But you probably like both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

With almost 3000 posts about Today Fm people here seem to miss what the station was,

What era of the station would people here like to come back again if we could make it happen, 2007 or a year near it?

(I stopped listening to weekdays a few years ago)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Ed Smith filling in for Louise while shes off on maternity leave, great choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

gamecube wrote: »
    With almost 3000 posts about Today Fm people here seem to miss what the station was,

What era of the station would people here like to come back again if we could make it happen, 2007 or a year near it?

(I stopped listening to weekdays a few years ago)

Yeah late 00's it was the peak of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I wonder will she come onto The Last Word now that her show has been axed? She has gone public and said she's very upset and disappointed at it being cancelled. Will John Cadell have anyone to bicker with now?

This is just another of the nails in the coffin of today fm’s Individual identity. I know it wasn’t a huge show, but it was a decent music show and something different. Going back 10 years, each show had an individual playlist for each show. Ray d’arcy had decent tunes that weren’t always radio friendly pop, and tony fenton managed to get away with loads of soul tunes. Ok ray foley had a fairly charty playlist, but that suited the show and the presentation made up for it.

Does anyone agree, or am I just being cynical as I’m a bit older now?

That usually goes down very well in Communicorp Towers.....:rolleyes:

No doubt RTÉ will come to the rescue to save her talents for the nation. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

That usually goes down very well in Communicorp Towers.....:rolleyes:

No doubt RTÉ will come to the rescue to save her talents for the nation. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don't they already have the same show with Miriam meets anyway;):rolleyes:

Or you could skip both and actually listen to desert island discs, the orginial and best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

I'm really looking forward to hearing Ed this evening. Hopefully they will let him do his own thing rather than handcuffing him to the playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

He used a good choice in song to start the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

I know a lot of people on here are over the 18-34 year old type of person that Today FM wants to listen to the station

But to be totally honest the weekday lineup & show content from 7am-7pm in 2018 is total s**t in my opinion

The whole lineup needs a wrecking ball got to it

Clear out Ian Dempsey, D&D, Muireann, Fergal Darcy & Matt Cooper

It needs the Dan Healy total weekday sledge hammer to bring it back to a station we can all listen to again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

gamecube wrote: »
    I know a lot of people on here are over the 18-34 year old type of person that Today FM wants to listen to the station

But to be totally honest the weekday lineup & show content from 7am-7pm in 2018 is total s**t in my opinion

The whole lineup needs a wrecking ball got to it

Clear out Ian Dempsey, D&D, Muireann, Fergal Darcy & Matt Cooper

It needs the Dan Healy total weekday sledge hammer to bring it back to a station we can all listen to again!

Tbf I think you could say over 50

Advertisement