Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

gamecube wrote: »
    Not a Ray D'Arcy fan i take it!

But to be fair to him he played whatever he wanted in music terms

It wasn't all chart music

Arcade Fire was being played on most shows 10 years ago...Ray and his team used to play a lot of playlisted stuff on Today FM, as well as personal choices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Ray used to get a hard-on for one particular artist - or even one particular song - and play it relentlessly. I think Paulo Nutini was one very regular ear-offender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Yeah he had a Paulo boner.
    And he liked Fans by Kings Of Leon. Every time I hear that song I think of Ray in the summer of 2007 when it rained nearly every day and he had a tally going because apparently the world was going to end if rained for 60 days in a row. Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭siblers

He played that Ray Lamontagne song non stop for about 2 years. Trouble I think it was called

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    A dj who just plays the music would be nice
    Phil cawley is the closest thing to it these days
    Or Ed Smith

Ed Smith is brilliant, and is the only reason I tune-in to Today FM at all these days. The rest is utter ****e, generic cookie-cutter drivel, with very little distinction between the shows (apart from TLW obviously as it is current affairs).

Someone mentioned Paula "I have a husband/I am pregnant" McSweeney too. A complete melter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Ed Smith is brilliant, and is the only reason I tune-in to Today FM at all these days. The rest is utter ****e, generic cookie-cutter drivel, with very little distinction between the shows (apart from TLW obviously as it is current affairs).

Someone mentioned Paula "I have a husband/I am pregnant" McSweeney too. A complete melter.

Is she?

She always comes across as a bit "forever young". Just grow up Paula. Still acting like a teenager. Think she was single for long enough so probably ultra proud now. She was on the late late valentines special last year I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,175 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I heard ten minutes of Marios Sunday Roast yesterday.

It was ten minutes of my life I wont get back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

Meh, it wasn't as bad as I had feared. Which doesn't say much. Ok for a first attempt I suppose, but not a great slot for a beginner...

It'll be interesting to see how things progress. I wasn't at all optimistic about Neil D as a presenter either but I ended up liking his show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

Arcade Fire was being played on most shows 10 years ago...Ray and his team used to play a lot of playlisted stuff on Today FM, as well as personal choices

Ray had the freedom to play what ever he wanted but Today FM management wanted Anton Savage to toe the line with his music choices to mirror every other show on the station on weekdays

No way management would have told Ray D'Arcy you have to play the music we want you to play

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Is she?

She always comes across as a bit "forever young". Just grow up Paula. Still acting like a teenager. Think she was single for long enough so probably ultra proud now. She was on the late late valentines special last year I think.

It was Michaela Hayes, if memory serves me.

• Advertisement

Trebor176 wrote: »
    It was Michaela Hayes, if memory serves me.

they were both on it

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Nedington

That saved by the bull belongs in the toilet..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,175 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Ray had the freedom to play what ever he wanted but Today FM management wanted Anton Savage to toe the line with his music choices to mirror every other show on the station on weekdays

No way management would have told Ray D'Arcy you have to play the music we want you to play

D'arcy to be fair to him (and I wouldnt be one for defending him) did play a few good tunes every day that you wouldnt have a hope in hell of hearing on Today FM during weekdays (before 7pm) now.

Great artists from the 70s, 80s and 90s like The Ramones, The Stone Roses, The Clash, Bowie, Suede and so on were all regularly played while some contemporary artists that wouldnt normally have been heard on daytime radio like Arcade Fire (pre Neon Bible), Anthony & The Johnsons, The Avvett Brothers etc. etc. were also played.

I do agree with the poster who said that D'Arcy (or Janny) would then get fixated on a particular artist or song and I'd be sick of that after a few weeks then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭statto25

Did Claire Beck not do this exact topic when she covered last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

What exactly is it you really like about Muireann ?

Difficult to describe, it's more of a feeling than anything. Her voice is kind of soothing (I know, nebulous, and personal, but she works for me). I guess when the alternative was Al Porter (I used to turn the radio off when he came on), then most anything is better.

I still think the most irritating thing about Muireann is the constant 'clickbait' kinda thing of 'find out more, after this'.

I know it's used in radio all the time, but she overdoes it. Every single segment ends with 'next up is a band that debuted in a cowshed in a thunderstorm', 'you'll never guess what X person said about cake, we'll tell you after this', 'speaking of people who don't like cowboys, we'll be chatting with someone who used to be an indian, after this..', 'our next song was a number 1 for a million years, and we'll play it after this'..

Immediately switch the station cos of that lazy, annoying, tripe.

BPKS wrote: »
    D'arcy to be fair to him (and I wouldnt be one for defending him) did play a few good tunes every day that you wouldnt have a hope in hell of hearing on Today FM during weekdays (before 7pm) now.

Great artists from the 70s, 80s and 90s like The Ramones, The Stone Roses, The Clash, Bowie, Suede and so on were all regularly played while some contemporary artists that wouldnt normally have been heard on daytime radio like Arcade Fire (pre Neon Bible), Anthony & The Johnsons, The Avvett Brothers etc. etc. were also played.

I do agree with the poster who said that D'Arcy (or Janny) would then get fixated on a particular artist or song and I'd be sick of that after a few weeks then.

If D'Arcy was still there do you think management would have made him stick to a set playlist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

If D'Arcy was still there do you think management would have made him stick to a set playlist?

I think they would have, it's the way radio is gone during weekdays they all to play the same pop tripe. Anytime they play a good band or artist it's always the same song

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I think they would have, it's the way radio is gone during weekdays they all to play the same pop tripe. Anytime they play a good band or artist it's always the same song

I wonder was that the reason why Ray D'Arcy left Today FM in 2014?

He could see the direction the station was going

He did say he left for less money at RTE

So if he is on 400k in RTE now he must have been on at least 500k at Today FM before he left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

So if he is on 400k in RTE now he must have been on at least 500k at Today FM before he left

There are fools born every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Or jump before he was pushed from the slot? It is likely that his show would have been effed around by management. He wouldn't have stood for that sort of BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

There are fools born every day.

Who the hell in their right mind would pay Ray D'arcy half a million euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Has me puzzled too Doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Are we talking about the same ape that's on rte one

and that was based on him doing a 3 hr radio show and not doing a TV show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Why wouldn't he have gone to RTE, even if his pay took a bit of dip? Popular daytime radio slot with a guaranteed large audience. Better chance of getting onto TV. Increased profile (there are plenty of old fogies out there who wouldn't be able to find Today FM on the dial if their life depended on it) and an employer who's generous to its employees.

Why wouldn't he have gone to RTE, even if his pay took a bit of dip? Popular daytime radio slot with a guaranteed large audience. Better chance of getting onto TV. Increased profile (there are plenty of old fogies out there who wouldn't be able to find Today FM on the dial if their life depended on it) and an employer who's generous to its employees.

and RTE studios just over one mile from his home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Sure he'll barely raise his heart rate cycling into work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Allison is in for Dempsey this coming week. Don’t say ye weren’t warned...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Allison is in for Dempsey this coming week. Don’t say ye weren’t warned...

Headphones in my work bag already, thanks.

Advertisement