Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

Whats the deal with Phil Cawley?hes filling in for Ian Dempsey, i normally only catch about 10 minutes of Cawley on a Saturday or Sunday but i've been listening to him this week in the mornings and hes a bit obnoxious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Whats the deal with Phil Cawley?hes filling in for Ian Dempsey, i normally only catch about 10 minutes of Cawley on a Saturday or Sunday but i've been listening to him this week in the mornings and hes a bit obnoxious

I am a fan of Phil and have met him a few times. Always found him very pleasant and professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I am a fan of Phil and have met him a few times. Always found him very pleasant and professional.
    Ya, there is a lot of complaining and criticism on this thread (of which I am guilty of at times!), but I find Phil to be alright. One of the better presenters on Today FM imo but, given the competition, that might not be saying much! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Phil is grand, I really like his show on Saturdays. He has a very easy and relaxed manner coupled with a good "voice for radio". He generally just gets on with playing the music. Unlike the vast majority of his colleagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree. I really like Phil. He’s just so straightforward-he plays music and has a bit of banter and that’s it. And do you notice he’s able to present a show all on his own. He doesn’t need a side kick or constantly dragging in the producer or researcher of the show like all the rest.
    JoeA3 wrote: »
    Phil is grand, I really like his show on Saturdays. He has a very easy and relaxed manner coupled with a good "voice for radio". He generally just gets on with playing the music. Unlike the vast majority of his colleagues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Matt via twitter says it was his last show while he goes on a break....great more Susan Keogh and sjw topics, itll be more loose women now instead of the LW

Matt via twitter says it was his last show while he goes on a break....great more Susan Keogh and sjw topics, itll be more loose women now instead of the LW

AH NOOOOOO!!!! ffs, well i wont be tuning in for a while so, i cant stand susan keogh filling in for him, i fully agree, its loose women on the radio, she turns the show completely into her own agenda which is feminism etc, her shows are not balanced at all.... surely theres someone who is a better fit to fill in for matt, couldnt they get gavan reilly back for a couple of weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

AH NOOOOOO!!!! ffs, well i wont be tuning in for a while so, i cant stand susan keogh filling in for him, i fully agree, its loose women on the radio, she turns the show completely into her own agenda which is feminism etc, her shows are not balanced at all.... surely theres someone who is a better fit to fill in for matt, couldnt they get gavan reilly back for a couple of weeks?

Just googled her to see what she looked like and immediately met by SJW stuff.

Won't be listening now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭statto25

Donuts....Is this what the Last Word has come to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,707 ✭✭✭giveitholly

statto25 wrote: »

Unreal,what a joke of a show this has become

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

johnire wrote: »
    I agree. I really like Phil. He’s just so straightforward-he plays music and has a bit of banter and that’s it. And do you notice he’s able to present a show all on his own. He doesn’t need a side kick or constantly dragging in the producer or researcher of the show like all the rest.

Phil's from the old school of radio presenters. The ones who used to present most of our music shows back in the day and didn't feel the need to impose their personalities on us. If we had more music and less banter, radio would be more listenable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Sometimes I wonder do people only listen to today fm so they can come on boards and give out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder do people only listen to today fm so they can come on boards and give out
    or maybe theyre forced to listen at work - its the station of choice where I work

Phil's from the old school of radio presenters. The ones who used to present most of our music shows back in the day and didn't feel the need to impose their personalities on us. If we had more music and less banter, radio would be more listenable.

I have to admit he has grown on me this week, once you get used to his personality hes actually quite good, i guess i've just become used to presenters putting on fake personalities and presenters who wont be a bit risky with what they say, phil always seems to be a bit cheeky like this morning he was slaging a guy on for the quiz about being an accountant

statto25 wrote: »

bloody heck what a joke that show as last night, how many times did susan keogh mention the tv slot, she just couldnt wait to get to the segment where its basically her and her mates talking tripe
    that aside though i must commend the solicitor who is actually going to help people who have been exploited by companies using unpaid interns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,175 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Is it me or has Phil cooled down the biker/petrol head/I remember my first car stories in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

In the latest JNLR, all the weekday shows on Today Fm gained listeners - expect for Fergal Darcy which lost a lot of listeners, 4000+

Rackard wrote: »
    In the latest JNLR, all the weekday shows on Today Fm gained listeners - expect for Fergal Darcy which lost a lot of listeners, 4000+

well i cant say that i'm surprised such absolute drivel he goes on with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭griffin100

Am I the only person who thinks D&D are the unfunniest two on radio around (ok maybe PJ and the other guy on Classic Hits are as bad), the only people laughing at their jokes are themselves (and whoever they know in Communicorp who keep them in employment).

Even back in the 98FM days they were pathetic and nothing has changed, maybe it’s a sign of the poor ‘has been’ radio hosts we are subjected to.

You haven't listened to Mario Rosenstock's new show then. I was in the car on Sunday morning and gave it half an hour. Sweet jaysus twas dire. Guests forcing themselves to laugh at his impressions and voices.

D&D I don't mid actually, I find they can be funny sometimes. I enjoyed their interview with the downhill speed skier this morning.

griffin100 wrote: »
    You haven't listened to Mario Rosenstock's new show then. I was in the car on Sunday morning and gave it half an hour. Sweet jaysus twas dire. Guests forcing themselves to laugh at his impressions and voices.

D&D I don't mid actually, I find they can be funny sometimes. I enjoyed their interview with the downhill speed skier this morning.

Ah i thought it was a good show with the exception of the snotty english auld lad who was some sort of gold expert, i dont like louis walsh but i enjoyed the interview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 johnjustjohn

I’m just jumping in here to show my appreciation for this thread. It’s really amazing to read from the beginning how badly things have gone for Todayfm when it used to be such a giant. Reading back over all the posts, it’s like watching a car crash in slow motion. It’s sad for the people involved but you can’t look away.

Like many on here I was a big Today fm fan a few years ago and we always had it on in work from Ian Dempsey all the way through to Matt and there was rarely a day when something didn’t happen that would make us laugh or argue or turn it up to hear what they were doing. It was must listen stuff and it always seemed like it was a fun station that understood its audience. No chance would we listen to 2FM and the local stations here are rubbish. From what I remember it seemed like everyone else was listening to it too. Things like Shave or Dye and the like were absolutely massive and it was like the station was a part of the life of the whole country. That was only a few years ago. Anyone would have thought the station was bulletproof but listen to it now and it’s an embarrassing pale imitation of its former self. Ian is still going strong but all the rest of the day is like inane childish unfunny text garbage. Whatever they have done to the Last Word is just weird. That show used to be the essential show to hear Matt attack government ministers and intelligently do the news. Dumbing down is putting it mildly. It sounds like his scripts might be written in crayon. Dermot and Dave, Fergal, Muireann are all the same naff DJ talking about the same rubbish of the day. And not getting into all of the Al Porter resignation but there couldn’t have been a less suited presenter for Today fm. What the hell happened to it? Every decision is a bad one. Listenership figures today again show that 2fm are beating them now. Its laughable.

We very rarely put it on now but we often mention how it’s a pity there’s nothing else around like it was. Finding this thread it’s amazing to see that I’m not the only one. Is that same boss who was mentioned in the first post still there? This thread should actually be used in colleges to teach people how to take such a phenomenally successful business and just totally trash it in a couple of years. Amazing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Great first post.

I’ll finish reading next week.

Keep up the good work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

Johnjustjohn - You totally hit the nail on the head there!

It was a station we all never turned off a couple of years ago.

A great lesson indeed that should be thought in collage.....how to turn a great station s**t in 3 easy steps!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

When the station was at its strongest, it had programmes that had their own identity. Ray D'Arcy isn't to everyone's taste but his personality and music choices were stamped all over his show. The late Tony Fenton did his own thing too as did Ray Foley. I'm of the belief that it doesn't really matter who's behind the microphone these days. The presenters no longer appear to have any control over the records they play and they're all talking the same inane shyte all day. You could issue Feargal D'Arcy, Muireann and D&D with their P45s in the morning, replace them with uber cool former TXFM presenters and still end up with the same awfulness. Someone has come up with a formula for how the station should sound now and the current presenters are pieces of the jigsaw.

There's a good few stations like that, even if you put on 2fm you get awful presenters, the same rubbish pop music and bombarded with pointless celebrity news every hour of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ray Darcy had gone off the boil before he left, he was getting far too caught up in talking about himself and his porridge.

I really think Ian is just passing his peak too, it’s sad as he’s been a Trojan presenter all along but I feel recently it’s not just as strong as it was.

Mario was too late getting his own show, he’s been about too long as a 3 minute gag which itself is getting old hat.

TodayFM were just fools to loose Anton Savage, it was a monumental cockup that they’re still struggling to resolve.

It’s gone from a strong “must listen to” station to mediocre background noise. I drove much of the day for a living and was a compulsive TodayFM listener, now I tune in an odd time and listen to audiobooks instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Maybe, just maybe, everyone here is getting older and not the target demographic. Radio evolves but, its a dying art.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 loumasry

bidiots wrote: »
    Maybe, just maybe, everyone here is getting older and not the target demographic. Radio evolves but, its a dying art.

Maybe but the numbers say no. The consistent growth of Newstalk and Radio 1 (and to a lesser extent 2FM) shows that there are ears out there. Today fm is just sheeyte these days no matter what your age.

bidiots wrote: »

I only have the radio on at work for background noise, if I actually want to hear good music I'll throw on Spotify

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Susan keogh pushing her stupid feminist agenda again today with the book review.

Advertisement