Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voltage converter for tree lights

Options
  • 05-12-2016 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

We have a tree from the US. Electrical rating is 2.72A, 120V, 60Hz.

Will a 100W AC-AC converter from maplins do the trick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

No 100W is not enough, it will fry.

Power(watts) = voltage x amps

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Petroglyph wrote: »
    We have a tree from the US. Electrical rating is 2.72A, 120V, 60Hz.

Where does it say 2.72A, is it on the plug? Is there a power rating (watts) on the tree itself or in the manual? Plugs typically have a high ampere rating, the ones we use here are designed to handle 13A but that doesn't mean that every appliance needs that much current so you check the individual appliance for the power requirement.

The reason I'm asking is because 120 multiplied by 2.72 is >300 watts which is a lot of juice in these days of LED lights :confused:

100W over here is less than half an amp so unless the tree has a power rating of less than 100W, you couldn't safely use that Maplin converter.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Petroglyph

the 2.72A is on a sticker on the cord. Also its not led, it's filament bulbs - does that mean it needs more juice?

No power rating written anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Petroglyph wrote: »
    the 2.72A is on a sticker on the cord. Also its not led, it's filament bulbs - does that mean it needs more juice?

No power rating written anywhere.

Yes re juice.

Can you post a few pictures of the kit so as we can have a looksee.

Have you loadsa spare bulbs?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Take out one of the bulbs (or look at one of the spares), is there a watt rating stamped on the metal sleeve? Should be a number followed by 'w', something like '10w'. If there is, tell us that number and how many bulbs are in the string.

And as the previous poster has said, a filament (also known as incandescent) bulb uses a helluva lot more juice than one that's LED.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Is the electrical load simply lamps, nothing else (no controllers or electronics) ?

If so a standard 110V site transformer will do the trick.
    The 230V mains voltage supply we use here in ireland will provide a 110V output which will mean the lamps won't be quite as bright as they would be at 120V, but this will not be very noticeable. The frequency difference (50 instead of 60 Hz) won't make any odds. If I were doing this I would put a yellow 110V commando plug into the lights. Also consider if the transformer is rated for continuous use or not. Some site transformers are only designed to be energized for a few hours at a time.

If a transformer is used has a lower VA rating than the load the output voltage will be reduced and the lights will dim.
    As the transformer would be overloaded this would not be ideal. It may blow the fuse / trip the thermal overload for the transformer

Advertisement