Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student/ single parent

Options
  • 06-12-2016 5:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi I am hoping to go to college in September to do a full time course in engineering.
    I'm trying to work out the best way to go about financial support!
    I've talked to citizens advice but they petty much read the website for me.
    I understand that if I chose to go on BTEA I would qualify for the SUSI fees grant but not the maintenance .
    My main query is that if I worked a min of 19 hours per week I would qualify for FIS but would I still qualify for the fees Grant also?

Or if anyone else had any ideas on the best route to go , would be a great help !

Note:My son is 7 so my OPFP has turned into Job seekers transitional payment. Which means I can only receive FIS or JSTP

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If you're unemployed for more than 9 months (i think) then you can apply for Back to Education allowance (BTEA) which is what I'm on.

SUSI is means tested and once the rekonable income is below 35k i think then you will be eligible - working part time or not. You can apply for either maintenance payments or fees but not both. If you take the maintenance payment you will lose the SW payment, and its less so it makes no sense.

If you do qualify for FIS, then they will take the additional payment you get for it into consideration when assessing your eligibility but I don't think it'll put you over the threshold. Check out their site and see what the limits are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

The IT also have a scheme where they will pay or partly pay for crèche etc. I think from memory emails to out to all students towards the end of September early October informing them of this service. There are conditions and I think payments start around November. So you will have to find a means to pay whilst applying.

There is also a hardship scheme. Emails will start going out in November when the above scheme has concluded. It is a long process and will involve budget sheets and interviews. If successful payments will be made around April (quite late).

I thunk there is a second round of the hardship fund after Christmas for anyone who may have missed it.

BTW, I graduated a couple of years ago as a mature student and it might have changed since then. It will be worthwhile contacting them yourself to get correct info.

Also, a bit of topic but mature students receiving btwa qualify for JobPlus scheme

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/employment_support_schemes/jobsplus.html

It is not really advertised or explained much and it can be a nice incentive for companies (especially smaller ones).

I qualified for this, but I'd advise checking with your careers officer before you mention it in CV or interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

I thought you had to be in full time employment for JobsPlus?

pillphil wrote: »
    I thought you had to be in full time employment for JobsPlus?

You do.

The employer must offer full-time employment of over 30 hours per week, spanning at least 4 days per week. The eligible employee must be on payroll and subject to PAYE and PRSI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Snee89

If you're unemployed for more than 9 months (i think) then you can apply for Back to Education allowance (BTEA) which is what I'm on.

SUSI is means tested and once the rekonable income is below 35k i think then you will be eligible - working part time or not. You can apply for either maintenance payments or fees but not both. If you take the maintenance payment you will lose the SW payment, and its less so it makes no sense.

If you do qualify for FIS, then they will take the additional payment you get for it into consideration when assessing your eligibility but I don't think it'll put you over the threshold. Check out their site and see what the limits are

Thanks for the post, I'm currently in part time work and I'm on a SW payment so in relation to the 9 months thing, I believe I'm on a payment that will qualify, have been in receipt for last 6.5 years. Citizens advise told me I "have" to be on BTEA to get the fees grant from SUSI but I don't think this is correct.

Financially I think I'm better off securing 19 hours per week to qualify for FIS, I defo fall under 35k per the previous year so I should get the Fees grant, think I'll manage with FIS and PT work.

Cheers for reply

Now just to secure a place in the course! :)

T-Bird wrote: »
    The IT also have a scheme where they will pay or partly pay for crèche etc. I think from memory emails to out to all students towards the end of September early October informing them of this service. There are conditions and I think payments start around November. So you will have to find a means to pay whilst applying.

There is also a hardship scheme. Emails will start going out in November when the above scheme has concluded. It is a long process and will involve budget sheets and interviews. If successful payments will be made around April (quite late).

I thunk there is a second round of the hardship fund after Christmas for anyone who may have missed it.

BTW, I graduated a couple of years ago as a mature student and it might have changed since then. It will be worthwhile contacting them yourself to get correct info.

Hi thanks for this info,
    I think I'm OK for childcare, I have him in an afterschool only 5 mins from school , I already qualify for subvention so it's not breaking the bank. I'll have to check if FIS alone will qualify again for the subvention if I start in September,

Thanks

Snee89 wrote: »
    Thanks for the post, I'm currently in part time work and I'm on a SW payment so in relation to the 9 months thing, I believe I'm on a payment that will qualify, have been in receipt for last 6.5 years. Citizens advise told me I "have" to be on BTEA to get the fees grant from SUSI but I don't think this is correct.

Financially I think I'm better off securing 19 hours per week to qualify for FIS, I defo fall under 35k per the previous year so I should get the Fees grant, think I'll manage with FIS and PT work.

Cheers for reply

Now just to secure a place in the course! :)

If you're in part time work then technically you should be trying to secure full time employment and the sw office are entitled to harass you to see what you have done to find full time work. on BTEA they don't bother you at all, even if you are totally unemployed. (mature student on btea)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Carson10

I've been on a sw payment but I've never been out of work, actually this last 6 months is the only time I've been part time , for the first 6 years of my sons life I had to work full time and had another part time job for the weekends, between 2013 and 2014 i had 11full days off work for 12 months, the OPFP (one parent family payment )which I was entitled to covered most the cost of childcare. But as he's getting older I'm missing out on quality time so I need a better paying job so that I don't have to work every day. I can't get a better paying job unless i go to college and i cant afford to go to college without some help.

So go **** yourself , your a sad troll who loves giving opinions behind your keyboard. You know nothing about my situation.

I can't seem to tag this person in this post

Snee89 wrote: »
    Carson10

I've been on a sw payment but I've never been out of work, actually this last 6 months is the only time I've been part time , for the first 6 years of my sons life I had to work full time and had another part time job for the weekends, between 2013 and 2014 i had 11full days off work for 12 months, the OPFP (one parent family payment )which I was entitled to covered most the cost of childcare. But as he's getting older I'm missing out on quality time so I need a better paying job so that I don't have to work every day. I can't get a better paying job unless i go to college and i cant afford to go to college without some help.

So go **** yourself , your a sad troll who loves giving opinions behind your keyboard. You know nothing about my situation.

I can't seem to tag this person in this post

Don't justify yourself to that bellend

Don't justify yourself to that bellend

Lost the rag a bit there,, he hasn't a clue

Peter !

Advertisement