Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you ride a 125cc at 16 in Republic of Ireland?

• 06-12-2016 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Im soon turning 16 and I live in waterford. Iam planning on getting a part time job asap and saving up around a grand for a 125cc.Now my question is that am I allowed to ride a 125cc after I have my theory and lessons from an instructor done or can I only ride a 50cc like in the UK? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

https://www.ndls.ie/licence-categories.html
    A1 - Motorcycles with an engine capacity not exceeding 125 cubic centimetres, with a power rating not exceeding 11 kW and with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.1 kW/kg. Motor tricycles with a power rating not exceeding 15 kW. - Minimum age 16 years

Looks like it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Barnasamuel111

Ah that's great so thanks for reply ☺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

You can get an A1 category licence once you are 16. https://www.ndls.ie/licence-categories.html

A1 covers motorcycles with an engine capacity not exceeding 125 cubic centimetres, with a power rating not exceeding 11 kW and with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.1 kW/kg. So up to 125cc is ok provided power and power to weight restrictions are met.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

If you are thinking an NSR 125 or the likes then forget it,you will be hammered into the ground by the insurance companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Don't think 1k will cover ibt, gear, bike and insurance.

More like 3-4k when you factor in everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

Bike 1k
    Insurance 1.5k (guestimate)
    Gear 500
    Lic & IBT etc 800

So yeah about 3-4k as above.

YBR or CBF 125 would be the best in my opinion to start off on. Good luck with it, glad to see an eager youngster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Colm17RvB wrote: »
    Bike 1k
    Insurance 1.5k (guestimate)
    Gear 500
    Lic & IBT etc 800

So yeah about 3-4k as above.

YBR or CBF 125 would be the best in my opinion to start off on. Good luck with it, glad to see an eager youngster!

Bike: 1.5k
    Insurance: 1k (or less once you've done IBT)
    Gear: 500 (give or take)
    Lic and IBT: 500

That's what it was for me anyways a few years ago, again this might have changed, cannot be too sure.

Advertisement