Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checkboxes in a Google Doc/MS Word/PDF

Options
  • 06-12-2016 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

What's the best way to use checkboxes in a Google Doc that will also be distributed in Word and PDF formats?

I'm creating a form in Google Docs. As part of the form I want to include categories that people can ideally select as a checkbox. Te problem is that the form will be distributed as a Google Doc and also in Word and PDF formats.

From doing a bit of research I'm not sure how easy it is to include checkboxes that will perform in each of the three formats.

Can anyone offer suggestions or advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Could you not print the Google Form as .pdf?

When you have the "live" form, hit ctrl + p (if you're in chrome) and select save as pdf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

me_irl wrote: »
    Could you not print the Google Form as .pdf?

When you have the "live" form, hit ctrl + p (if you're in chrome) and select save as pdf.

But as far as I know the checkboxes won't be active in that PDF. They'll just display as boxes but the user won't be able to click the box to 'check' it.

conf101 wrote: »
    But as far as I know the checkboxes won't be active in that PDF. They'll just display as boxes but the user won't be able to click the box to 'check' it.

That'll depend on the reader.

I think Foxit Reader will let you use checkboxes, but Adobe will probably lock the document (also depending on the version).

Have you tested yourself with both?

If you're sending a form, is it not easier to link to the google online form instead of emailing a word/pdf?

me_irl wrote: »
    That'll depend on the reader.

I think Foxit Reader will let you use checkboxes, but Adobe will probably lock the document (also depending on the version).

Have you tested yourself with both?

If you're sending a form, is it not easier to link to the google online form instead of emailing a word/pdf?

We're not actually using a Google Online Form, but a form created as a Google Doc. Sticking to a single format would be much easier but unfortunately the distribution of the form is out of my hands.

I've tested them and the checkboxes currently aren't working in Word or PDF formats (using Adobe reader). Just trying to figure if it's something I'm doing wrong or if there's a way around it.

We're not actually using a Google Online Form, but a form created as a Google Doc. Sticking to a single format would be much easier but unfortunately the distribution of the form is out of my hands.

That's unfortunate, it would have been far handier just to email a GForm link.

You would probably have to start from scratch and create the form in Word. Then export it as a pdf and test that.

https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/Create-forms-that-users-complete-or-print-in-Word-040c5cc1-e309-445b-94ac-542f732c8c8b

• Advertisement

Is Google Forms not more for gathering surveys? This form is an application form to join a program we run. Applicants fill in around 10 sections on the form and the submission is reviewed to see whether they're suitable or not. I thought an Word Doc/Google Doc/PDF would be better for this. Maybe I'm wrong.

I may indeed have to go back and create it in Word. I'll see how I go.

Cheers for your input

Is Google Forms not more for gathering surveys? This form is an application form to join a program we run. Applicants fill in around 10 sections on the form and the submission is reviewed to see whether they're suitable or not. I thought an Word Doc/Google Doc/PDF would be better for this. Maybe I'm wrong.

I may indeed have to go back and create it in Word. I'll see how I go.

Cheers for your input

Way easier to do it through MS or Google Forms if you're rolling it out online as it will create an excel or google sheet with all the responses.

Have you considered using SurveyMonkey or Wufoo instead?

It'll be trickier if it's word/pdf as you'll need to go through each completed form one at a time.

But it's not a survey I'm running. It's an application form and the responses need to be addressed as they come in. One week there might be a single response and others there could be multiple. It's gathering individual information about the applicant. Gathering the responses together isn't relevant in this case.

But it's not a survey I'm running. It's an application form and the responses need to be addressed as they come in. One week there might be a single response and others there could be multiple. It's gathering individual information about the applicant. Gathering the responses together isn't relevant in this case.

I was just suggesting with an online form you can do both (survey / application form).

Sure. Suggestions appreciated. SurveyMonkey isn't really what we're looking for at the moment. I'll have a goo at Wufoo this afternoon. Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement