Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaf trade in value for Ioniq?

• 06-12-2016 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Has any one here talked to a Hyundai dealer about trading a Nissan Leaf in against a new Hyundai Ioniq EV?
    If so then what sort of values have you received.
    Or failing that, what would you expect to be offered?
    I am going to call in to a Hyundai dealer soon to se what they would offer me for my 2016 30kw Leaf SV, I am hoping for €20,000 ish.
    Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The same car(30kWh, SV) can be brought in from the UK for less than €18k.
    The dealer will need a large margin due to the small EV market in Ireland so I'd say you will be looking at a fair bit less than €20k.

I presume your car was about €27k new? I'd say take the nearside of €10k off that.

Trading any car in its first year is going to hurt lots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

How much millage has your leaf.

What advantages do you see with the iqonic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

kala85 wrote: »
    How much millage has your leaf.

What advantages do you see with the iqonic

Theres about 18,000km on my Leaf.

The ioniq has much better safety features than the Leaf.
    In general its nicer looking and has more toys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

macnab wrote: »
    Theres about 18,000km on my Leaf.

The ioniq has much better safety features than the Leaf.
    In general its nicer looking and has more toys.

Doesn't sound like a smart move to me. Your eye can always be turned by the latest - but the Ioniq is not such a great advancement on what you're currently driving. You're going to lose $ in that trade - and you'll be back at the same point 6 months down the road when something much better EV wise hits the market (and so on...).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

What real life range would you get from the 30kw leaf

• Advertisement

Others will advise you on that (current drivers of the 30kW) - however, it can't be a hell of a lot when you consider that there are 40-60kW EV's in the works over the next few years. Stick with what you have and skip a couple of generations.

185km on average in real world use. This can be as high as 210km with easy summer driving avoiding motorways, driving on relatively flat geography (Dublin to Galway) Or as low as 140km in winter with heating on, lights on, 4 passengers with luggage, motorway speed on very hilly terrain (Waterford to Carlow)

there are 40-60kW EV's in the works over the next few years. Stick with what you have and skip a couple of generations.

The 30kw Leaf has more than enough range for my purposes. 60kw battery packs will be considerably more expensive and not worth the extra spend for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Has any one here talked to a Hyundai dealer about trading a Nissan Leaf in against a new Hyundai Ioniq EV?
    Or failing that, what would you expect to be offered?
    I am going to call in to a Hyundai dealer soon to se what they would offer me for my 2016 30kw Leaf SV, I am hoping for €20,000 ish.
    Any thoughts on this?

not a hope, no dealer want to trade with the incoming car, at more then 30-50% of the deal, way to easy to loose his shirt

The 30kw Leaf has more than enough range for my purposes. 60kw battery packs will be considerably more expensive and not worth the extra spend for me.

Will they be? From new, yes. Over time, the cost of batteries will reduce through economies of scale and technological advancement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Or failing that, what would you expect to be offered offended?
    Any thoughts on this?

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

what they would offer me for my 2016 30kw Leaf SV, I am hoping for €20,000 ish.
    Any thoughts on this?

They could very well offer you €20k. Off a Ioniq with a RRP of a bit over €29k on the road

But.

The same Ioniq can be had with €4k scrappage. And perhaps another €1k - €1.5k discount for a cash purchase (I don't know how far they will / can go if you push them real hard)

That suddenly means they will only give you €14k - €15k for your Leaf if you compare it (as you should) with a cash buyer. Or a cost to change of €9k. That's alot of depreciation in one year of owning a very basic econobox car! Selling privately might leave you better off...

unkel wrote: »
    Or a cost to change of €9k. That's alot of depreciation in one year of owning a very basic econobox car! Selling privately might leave you better off...
    Anyone that goes for that option has more $ than sense. The iconiq is a minor step up (remains to be seen even if it is a step up when all aspects are considered). The OP will regret the move - as there will be something more substantially different available in terms of EV's coming on stream - in the next 48 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

unkel wrote: »
    That's alot of depreciation in one year of owning a very basic econobox car! Selling privately might leave you better off...

I wouldn't call it basic, it's very well specced, but depreciation on a new car is always massive. We bought our one new car in 1999 for £11800. I asked the salesman what should we insure it for... "Shur it's only worth 9000 as soon as you drive it off the forecourt". Learned a valuable lesson that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Scottie99

If you've 30kw, your doing grand. At this stage changing like for like is pointless. I'd wait for a 60kw, Nissan could give you a better deal in trade in.

Scottie99 wrote: »
    If you've 30kw, your doing grand. At this stage changing like for like is pointless. I'd wait for a 60kw, Nissan could give you a better.

Exactly. Get value out of what you've just bought - skip a couple of generations (they may seem like a big deal now - but they wont be in double quick time). 60kW means a substantial range level - if it can be achieved at a reasonable price point (which will come).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I would agree with the last few posters. In general you have always lost your shirt on nearly new trade ins, Ice EV or otherwise.

The Hyundai is a " nice " EV must in my view releasing a 28 kWh battery at this stage is very disappointing. We will have 48-60kwh gen 2 leaf soon and model 3 on the horizon as well as competitive upgrades to i3 and others

The 28 kWh iconiq could be outclassed very fast and suffer as a result

Advertisement