Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

earth rod and gas metre

Options
  • 06-12-2016 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

hi guys just looking for some advise. We bought a house last year which was
    built in the 60's. It could do with re wiring Im sure but we got some basic things done like sockets moved up off skirting boards and that. Anyway my question for the moment is that we noticed a little green box that says earth rod just outside the garage. We are now changing our oil central heating to gas and had a plumber out to give us a quote and that. We decided to put the new gas metre outside the garage where our neighbour has also put hers. However i forgot to mention that earth rod to the plumber and he prob didnt see it as it was dark at the time. Will there be any problem with the gas metre being so close to the earth rod?? I looked over the wall at the neighbours metre and there is a pipe going from her metre into the garage where her boiler is and if we were to do the same that pipe would be directly above where the earth rod box is. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Any pictures?
    Anyway who is laying the gas from the road, hardly the plumber?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

no gas networks are laying the gas from the road and they just asked us had the plumber discussed where the meter would be going so we explained yes that it would be the same place as our neighbors outside our garage which they said fine. At the time I didnt realise the earth rod was there! i will take a photo when i get home

Not sure if this picture has worked but it's a picture of th earth rod box and th wall we are planning to put the meter! You can see the neighbours on the other side of the wall

This is the box up close

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gashmuncher

There is no gas or electrical safety implications associated with the Earth Electrode being close to a Gas meter. In fact in lots of new installations in housing estates etc. The Electric Meter, Gas Meter and earth electrode are all installed close to each other.

• Advertisement

Oh that's great!

Advertisement