Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Converting From Commercial to Residential

• 06-12-2016 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All,

I am new to this so ill apologise at the start as I'm sure this has been asked before

I am interested in purchasing a commercial property and basically use it as a site for me to build a house for myself but I don't know how to go about it

the property is currently being used as a back street garage down a laneway in Dublin and is only surrounded by houses - there are no more commercial properties in the area.

how would I go about finding out if I could purchase this and change it from a commercial premises and build a residential property instead ? it is currently a single story building and I would be keeping to this so wouldn't be a huge difference in terms the look. it will be a full new build on top of the existing concrete pad

obviously I would not like to purchase it only to be told that I cant change it over as it is useless to me in its current state.

anyone any idea what steps I would need to take in order to get information about what options I have ?

cheers

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

contact a local planning consultant / engineer / architect / technician etc with planning experience to carry out a report to cover the current planning status of the site, the current zoning of the site, access issues, utility issues etc.

then bring this report with a draft sketch of what you want to do to a pre-planning meeting with a local planner to get their input on potential issues with a planning application for what you want.

at that stage then you should be be equipped to make a decision on whether the purchase is worth it or not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

rmcg_2011 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am new to this so ill apologise at the start as I'm sure this has been asked before

I am interested in purchasing a commercial property and basically use it as a site for me to build a house for myself but I don't know how to go about it

the property is currently being used as a back street garage down a laneway in Dublin and is only surrounded by houses - there are no more commercial properties in the area.

how would I go about finding out if I could purchase this and change it from a commercial premises and build a residential property instead ? it is currently a single story building and I would be keeping to this so wouldn't be a huge difference in terms the look. it will be a full new build on top of the existing concrete pad

obviously I would not like to purchase it only to be told that I cant change it over as it is useless to me in its current state.

anyone any idea what steps I would need to take in order to get information about what options I have ?

cheers
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    contact a local planning consultant / engineer / architect / technician etc with planning experience to carry out a report to cover the current planning status of the site, the current zoning of the site, access issues, utility issues etc.

then bring this report with a draft sketch of what you want to do to a pre-planning meeting with a local planner to get their input on potential issues with a planning application for what you want.

at that stage then you should be be equipped to make a decision on whether the purchase is worth it or not.

Cant really add to Syd's post other than contacting the owner first to see if they are willing to sell in the first place.

Usually these commercial units are kept as its harder to get permission for commercial use if surrounded by residential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Yep owner first. Generally easier re planning to convert (back) to residential use, and take syd's advice once you have permission of owner, may require a letter of their consent for a council pre planning meeting.

Advertisement