Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New family car

• 06-12-2016 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

So, the 08 Mondeo has 149k miles on it so it's time to go. We're also having electrical problems with it so it's definitely going!!

I'm looking at a 12/13 Passat. Budget of up to 13k, roughly. I attach the below:

http://m.vcisales.co.uk/photos.php?ad_id=1630716

Any thoughts on this?

A colleague of mine bought an 11 off him previously and is very happy with it.

I was planning on the 2.0 but I've heard a few nagative things about that engine. Any truth in these "stories?

The above a 1.6, but he (colleague) bought an adapter that you plug into the engine that changes it from 105 to 130bhp and it seemingly improves mpg as well as performance.

Anyone opinions/experience is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

80s Child wrote: »
    So, the 08 Mondeo has 149k miles on it so it's time to go. We're also having electrical problems with it so it's definitely going!!

I'm looking at a 12/13 Passat. Budget of up to 13k, roughly. I attach the below:

Any thoughts on this?

I was planning on the 2.0 but I've heard a few nagative things about that engine. Any truth in these "stories?

The above a 1.6, but he (colleague) bought an adapter that you plug into the engine that changes it from 105 to 130bhp and it seemingly improves mpg as well as performance.

There is nothing wrong with the 2.0 litre in that model Passat, in fact it's actually a bit more reliable than the 1.6 litre and alot more enjoyable to drive not having to pull a heavy car of that size around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Why not another Mondeo, good solid reliable car and you'll get a bit more car for your money Vs a Passat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Any thoughts on this?

do you mean 149k km?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

_Brian wrote: »
    Why not another Mondeo, good solid reliable car and you'll get a bit more car for your money Vs a Passat.

Find it very 'floaty". Not really liking the drive.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    do you mean 149k km?

149,000 miles

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with the 2.0 litre in that model Passat, in fact it's actually a bit more reliable than the 1.6 litre and alot more enjoyable to drive not having to pull a heavy car of that size around.

Jesus, the difference of opinion is huge!

Now, I'm after coming off the phone from a friend of mine who's in the trade and he's told me not to go near the above option, due to clutch and flywheel problems that occur. He reckons I should factor €1500 into the price straight away.

This would be a concern; spending in the region of 13/14k, I would hope to avoid said problems!

Information is a dangerous thing especially in the wrong hands.

You have as much chance of needing to replace the clutch and flywheel on the 1.6 litre as the 2.0 litre, just like most modern diesel engines these days especially like your current Mondeo. They are classed as a consumable component and wear with use and time. If you want an ultra reliable diesel car then buy a petrol or a hybrid instead. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Find it very 'floaty". Not really liking the drive.

If Mondeo is floaty, then Passat will make you nauseated...

Information is a dangerous thing especially in the wrong hands.

You have as much chance of needing to replace the clutch and flywheel on the 1.6 litre as the 2.0 litre, just like most modern diesel engines these days especially like your current Mondeo. They are classed as a consumable component and wear with use and time. If you want an ultra reliable diesel car then buy a petrol or a hybrid instead. :)

He meant Passats in general.

Big time, too much advice is just painful.

I think I know what I want, a 2013 Highline 2.0 Bluemotion, won't 60,000 miles, for 13.5k. Shouldn't be too hard to find!

grogi wrote: »

Really? What would you recommend?

I'm not closing myself off to other options and I'll be probably looking at a few this weekend, if I get a chance.

• Advertisement

Really? What would you recommend?

I'm not closing myself off to other options and I'll be probably looking at a few this weekend, if I get a chance.

Mondeo Mk3 has been one of the best handling car in the popular market. There is hardly anything that matches its driving capabilities. Passat will be more soft... Maybe the suspension in yours is broken?

What's more you can get a Mondeo in a hatchback body - which is far more practical than a saloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭RWD

Jesus, the difference of opinion is huge!

Now, I'm after coming off the phone from a friend of mine who's in the trade and he's told me not to go near the above option, due to clutch and flywheel problems that occur. He reckons I should factor €1500 into the price straight away.

This would be a concern; spending in the region of 13/14k, I would hope to avoid said problems!

I reckon what he said concerns the 05-08 Passat B6 after that they're a new and improved engine

Mondeo Mk3 has been one of the best handling car in the popular market. There is hardly anything that matches its driving capabilities. Passat will be more soft... Maybe the suspension in yours is broken?

What's more you can get a Mondeo in a hatchback body - which is far more practical than a saloon.

Jesus, maybe? I've a 159 myself and I'd drive that all day before the Mondeo.

It flew through the NCT recently, would a suspension issue not be spotted there?

Looking at things, our main options would be:

Passat
    Mondeo
    Avensis
    Octavia
    Accord (I like these, but maybe a little rich for our blood).

As aforementioned, I like the look of a 2.0 Highline Passat. I haven't driven one yet mind, so all that could change!

Edit: There's probably 50 threads on this. I think I need to get off my ass and read them!

So, I drove a 1.6 Passat and was very underwhelmed. It was not a top of the line model, but it felt under powered and cheap enough inside. In fairness to the Mondeo, I was in it yesterday for almost 7 hrs in total, on good roads, and it really is a cruising machine! Also, the titanium x has all the bells and whistles, which is a major plus!

I haven't had much of a chance latell to do much looking, but I found the following,
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612070403558?search-target=usedcars&make=peugeot&model=508_sw&postcode=e114rj&radius=1500&price-from=11000&minimum-badge-engine-size=1.9&price-to=12000&sort=atcustom&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&adPos=1

Any thoughts on thsee?
    Pros; Loads of power, excellently speed; loads of room for travel systmes etc

Cons: it's a Peugeot! If anything did go wrong would it be expensive to replace, given the rarity of these on the road? This is my major concern!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

So, I drove a 1.6 Passat and was very underwhelmed. It was not a top of the line model, but it felt under powered and cheap enough inside. In fairness to the Mondeo, I was in it yesterday for almost 7 hrs in total, on good roads, and it really is a cruising machine! Also, the titanium x has all the bells and whistles, which is a major plus!

I haven't had much of a chance latell to do much looking, but I found the following,
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612070403558?search-target=usedcars&make=peugeot&model=508_sw&postcode=e114rj&radius=1500&price-from=11000&minimum-badge-engine-size=1.9&price-to=12000&sort=atcustom&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&adPos=1

Any thoughts on thsee?

Cons: it's a Peugeot! If anything did go wrong would it be expensive to replace, given the rarity of these on the road? This is my major concern!

Nice look car to be fair. Can't comment on them personally but the dealer network, in terms of coverage, is not too bad so parts should not be an issue.

I think you're being overly pessimistic in your assessment of your options. Find something you like, buy the best example of it you can with a complete and comprehensive service history and then continue that level of maintenance. If the model has a known issue, check that it has been addressed. If not, move on.

If something goes wrong then its probably just down to bad luck and not how you look after the car. Hell, you got a Mondeo to 150,000 miles so you clearly know how to maintain a car.

Buying a new car should be exciting. Stop getting yourself into knots over it

Any thoughts on thsee?

Its an RXH - a diesel hybrid with awful gearbox. I would not touch it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Nonsense. I have a B7 Passat and it is far from floaty, the suspension is very well planted.

GavMan wrote: »
    Nice look car to be fair. Can't comment on them personally but the dealer network, in terms of coverage, is not too bad so parts should not be an issue.

I think you're being overly pessimistic in your assessment of your options. Find something you like, buy the best example of it you can with a complete and comprehensive service history and then continue that level of maintenance. If the model has a known issue, check that it has been addressed. If not, move on.

If something goes wrong then its probably just down to bad luck and not how you look after the car. Hell, you got a Mondeo to 150,000 miles so you clearly know how to maintain a car.

Buying a new car should be exciting. Stop getting yourself into knots over it

Exciting? My head is wrecked! The main problem is, my brother in law works in a dealership and he's suggesting one way (PCP); my mechanic, who's a mate, is suggesting another way (Passat) and I'm up to the balls at the min with work, new baby and coaching a team! And all the time, I have to give the better half my car and I have to drive the Mondeo, disconnecting the battery everytime I park, otherwise the car turns itself on to idle and the battery goes down! (Mechanic can't take mine at the min)

I just want a nice, good sized family hatchback/saloon, maybe estate, with plenty of poke and a comfortable interior, that's also reliable and not above 14.5k!

Its an RXH - a diesel hybrid with awful gearbox. I would not touch it

Ya, did a bit of research. Shame. I think it's a cracking looking car and it has all the extras!

• Advertisement

Nonsense. I have a B7 Passat and it is far from floaty, the suspension is very well planted.

Funny this. I've spoken to two different people recently and one favoured the drive in the Mondeo and the other the Passat. The 1.6 didn't do anything for me, I have to admit. ID like to test the 170bhp and see the difference.

What about a Megane estate?

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Renault/Megane/GRAND-GT/6254481680839924703/

That generation of Megane has proved to be very reliable, they are very well equipped for the class of car. The estate is pretty practical too, they were only available with the 1.5 diesel engine but the 110bhp version is not too bad in a car the size and weight of the Megane. That engine is around a good few years and is a pretty reliable unit at this stage.

What about a Megane estate?

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Renault/Megane/GRAND-GT/6254481680839924703/

That generation of Megane has proved to be very reliable, they are very well equipped for the class of car. The estate is pretty practical too, they were only available with the 1.5 diesel engine but the 110bhp version is not too bad in a car the size and weight of the Megane. That engine is around a good few years and is a pretty reliable unit at this stage.

Say in one of those about a year ago actually and I quiet liked it. My mechanic is dead against it! I'm going to test drive one over the Christmas.

Is the 1.5 a bit small for the car though? It'll be packed to the rafters at times!

Say in one of those about a year ago actually and I quiet liked it. My mechanic is dead against it! I'm going to test drive one over the Christmas.

Is the 1.5 a bit small for the car though? It'll be packed to the rafters at times!

It is nippy enough. Sure it is not a rocket, but it is turbocharged, so plenty of power available from low rpms.

They are rather reliable, but I would not trust the 30 kkm oil exchange interval and do it in 1 year/15 kkm.

Your mechanic is probably talking about the previous Megane which was a nightmare around reliability. The 2009 onwards ones are night v day with the older model when it comes to reliability.

Try and get one for an extended test drive over a weekend from a dealer, load it up and see how to find it. That engine was available in two versions in the Megane ~ 90bhp and 110bhp. You should be looking at the 110bhp version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Funny this. I've spoken to two different people recently and one favoured the drive in the Mondeo and the other the Passat. The 1.6 didn't do anything for me, I have to admit. ID like to test the 170bhp and see the difference.

1.6 is not great, mine is a 1.4 petrol and suits the car much better, very refined.

I found this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201608227020740?search-target=usedcars&make=renault&model=megane&postcode=e114rj&radius=1500&keywords=Gt&sort=atcustom&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&price-to=10000&price-from=9000&body-type=estate&adPos=1

Looks great! I'd love to get a spin in one!

I've been looking at Passats also; I like the look of the 2.0ltrs, especially in the sport model.

Those Meganes are really nice though. I mentioned an estate to the other half and I was met with a scowl!

While the Megane is a size smaller than the Passat, the Megan's estate boot will be a lot more practical than the saloon boot of the Passat. That Megane looks the business, decent power from the 150bhp 2.0 litre engine and very nice spec on it that you wouldn't see here.

Advertisement