Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Kegging with Co2. How long will it keep once tapped?

Options
  • 06-12-2016 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I have just received my Brewferm set of 3 mini kegs inc Co2 cartridges and tap. I'm reading a lot of different opinions on how long your beer will keep in the fridge once it's tapped. Some say 2 days, some say two weeks and others say longer. Can't imagine why someone would say it keeps for longer than it does. Maybe there are some external factors leading to different results?

Has anyone any real world experience with these or any other mini keg system? I'm hoping it's a couple of weeks. Can't see myself getting through 5 litres of 7.2% IPA in a couple of nights on my own :D

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'd say it depends on the beer. The stronger and darker it is the less it's likely to be adversely affected by oxygen and flatness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Not sure how does things work but how would oxygen affect it?

Oxidation gives a stale, wet-cardboard flavour.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Oxidation gives a stale, wet-cardboard flavour.

Yeah but how would it get into these mini kegs?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rigardo

RasTa wrote: »
    Not sure how does things work but how would oxygen affect it?

It would be oxygen that would turn your beer bad but that's what I thought the Co2 sorted. Yes, it allows for the beer to be pumped but I would have also assumed the high level of pressure would keep oxygen out.

Would be good to hear from anyone else who's had a go. Thanks guys!

• Advertisement

Rigardo wrote: »
    It would be oxygen that would turn your beer bad but that's what I thought the Co2 sorted. Yes, it allows for the beer to be pumped but I would have also assumed the high level of pressure would keep oxygen out.

Would be good to hear from anyone else who's had a go. Thanks guys!

Doing some research now, I keg my beer but use a corny. Never had an issue with oxygen. Reading that they can't take much co2 vol

Write up by someone Irish here

http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/equipment-chemicals/(review)-brewferm-mini-keg-starter-kit/

I think it's these type of kegs that have to be drunk that night

5ad20c8fb8ac495b9205acd2703113a6.jpg

Rigardo wrote: »
    It would be oxygen that would turn your beer bad but that's what I thought the Co2 sorted.
    Ahh yes, sorry: the CO2 blanket should prevent that. I guess it just depends on how well the system actually works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I use a king keg and I've kept it for weeks without any negative effects on taste. Might have to top up the Co2 towards the end alright.

Advertisement