Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian and alt-right Interference in democracies.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

The yanks have been interfering in elections for generations so what if Russia was doing the same. Especially in the American election. They would deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

red ears wrote: »
    The yanks have been interfering in elections for generations so what if Russia was doing the same. Especially in the American election. They would deserve it.

Do all the other countries that Russia has/is interfering with deserve their democracies to be destroyed?
    Will we deserve it if Putin's low lifes find a way to smear Macron and LePen pulls France out of the EU, eventually destroying the Irish economy? Will our kids deserve that?
    You have a Russian dictator playing games to keep himself enriched and in power. The west needs reform. That cant happen until Putin stops interfering.
    The west needs to treat Russia as the USSR. Total sanctions until Putin is gone. Otherwise the world is heading for war.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

demfad wrote: »
    Do all the other countries that Russia has/is interfering with deserve their democracies to be destroyed?

Is there a double standard, as when US is interfering in EU/UK it is good or when Germany was speaking against Brexit is this now acceptable or not?

• Advertisement

Harika wrote: »
    Is there a double standard, as when US is interfering in EU/UK it is good or when Germany was speaking against Brexit is this now acceptable or not?

OK. Germany publicly saying that they feel Brexit is bad for the EU and UK. Perfectly legitimate. It affects Germany.

Russia hacking people and parties, blackmailing them and political leaders to manipulate them, creating fake news stories, using propaganda sites propagating them through SM trolls faking local accounts etc etc. This involves illegality and criminality.

Not legitimate no matter who does it. I don't condone the US acting this way.

I will be biased and say that I would favour whichever side keeps Europe from war. That is not Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Will we deserve it if Putin's low lifes find a way to smear Macron and LePen pulls France out of the EU, eventually destroying the Irish economy? Will our kids deserve that?
    You have a Russian dictator playing games to keep himself enriched and in power. The west needs reform. That cant happen until Putin stops interfering.
    The west needs to treat Russia as the USSR. Total sanctions until Putin is gone. Otherwise the world is heading for war.

What about usa interfering in the middle east bush and blair should of been tried for war crimes over the iraq war ,they were the cause of isis but thank god for putin he put it up to them ,the usa caused nothing but trouble all over south america with their proxie goverements thank god they were trown out ,and as their support for the jews that is a crying shame a sin .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The double standard can be seen incredibly starkly when one considers that Wikileaks were the heroes of the Dems in the US when they were exposing banks, republicans, the US military, etc. Now that they're also exposing the Dems' dirty laundry, many on the Dems' side (I hesitate to say "the left" because in my view this election has laid bare that the Dems are divided into leftists, AKA Sanders supporters, and third way neoliberals, AKA Clinton supporters) are now calling them shills, foreign intelligence, etc etc etc.

I find it absolutely ridiculous how the so-called "left" has jumped all over neo-McCarthyism now that it suits them - it's totally pathetic. Regardless of who hacked John Podesta, for instance, unless the emails were forged then it's Clinton's fault and nobody else's that she justifies saying one thing in public and another in private, and that she is "to the right of Obama" when it comes to indiscriminate surveillance. The Dem establishment and others try to make this about the process of the leaks (who leaked it, what laws were broken, who does it benefit etc) - anything to distract from the content.

Given that they had no such troubles when Wikileaks was blowing the whistle on ACTA, US Military attacks on journalists (under the Bush regime) etc etc etc, I for one find it utterly pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The double standard can be seen incredibly starkly when one considers that Wikileaks were the heroes of the Dems in the US when they...

If there's no double standard from Wikileaks then lets see trumps tax returns.

Lets see some stuff on the russian leadership.

Wikileaks has lost all credibility because they're taking sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

France = Le Pen.
    Iran = Ebrahim Raisi.
    UK = UKIP.

All set up by America and/or Russia for their interests and sadly all 3 want to mess up their own countries in the process.

• Advertisement

The double standard can be seen incredibly starkly when one considers that Wikileaks were the heroes of the Dems in the US when they were exposing banks, republicans, the US military, etc. Now that they're also exposing the Dems' dirty laundry, many on the Dems' side (I hesitate to say "the left" because in my view this election has laid bare that the Dems are divided into leftists, AKA Sanders supporters, and third way neoliberals, AKA Clinton supporters) are now calling them shills, foreign intelligence, etc etc etc.
    I find it absolutely ridiculous how the so-called "left" has jumped all over neo-McCarthyism now that it suits them - it's totally pathetic. Regardless of who hacked John Podesta, for instance, unless the emails were forged then it's Clinton's fault and nobody else's that she justifies saying one thing in public and another in private, and that she is "to the right of Obama" when it comes to indiscriminate surveillance. The Dem establishment and others try to make this about the process of the leaks (who leaked it, what laws were broken, who does it benefit etc) - anything to distract from the content.

Given that they had no such troubles when Wikileaks was blowing the whistle on ACTA, US Military attacks on journalists (under the Bush regime) etc etc etc, I for one find it utterly pathetic.

There is a counter-Intelligence investigation by the FBI into the the Donald Trump presidential campaign. That is not neo-mccarthyism, do you understand this?
    The US DOJ is preparing to issue an arrest warrant for Assange. Even Mike Pompeo Trump's head of CIA who praised Assange during the campaign now calls wikileaks a hostile actor for Russia.
    There is no neo-mccarthyism, only a lot of disinformation as evidenced in your post above.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/24/world/europe/macron-russian-hacking.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur
    Security researchers at the cybersecurity firm, Trend Micro, said that on March 15 they spotted a hacking group they believe to be a Russian intelligence unit turn its weapons on Mr. Macron’s campaign — sending emails to campaign officials and others with links to fake websites designed to bait them into turning over passwords.

The group began registering several decoy internet addresses last month and as recently as April 15, naming one onedrive-en-marche.fr and another mail-en-marche.fr to mimic the name of Mr. Macron’s political party, En Marche.

Those websites were registered to a block of web addresses that Trend Micro’s researchers say belong to the Russian intelligence unit they refer to as Pawn Storm, but is alternatively known as Fancy Bear, APT 28 or the Sofacy Group. American and European intelligence agencies and American private security researchers determined that the group was responsible for hacking the Democratic National Committee last year.

Method:
    • Hack Macron campaign
    • Publish anything embarrasing on Wikileaks
    • or on Facebook (possibly via cambridge analytica)
    • Where possible use information to blackmail vulnerable Macron Staff into supplying more damaging information.
    • Use the massive Russian botnet troll army to amplify any dirt around social media.
    • Tie up media covering leaks to divert from damaging FN stories eg holocaust deniers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Even Mike Pompeo Trump's head of CIA who praised Assange during the campaign now calls wikileaks a hostile actor for Russia.

He called them a non state intelligence agency who were hostile to the US ( Think Vault 7 ).

You should probably get your facts right ( as shown below and what I've been saying all along, apparently to deaf ears ) and stop listening to the loons on msnbc who frequently suggest Putin told Assad to gas his own people.

They don't know how Wikileaks got the emails, they don't know when, and they don't know who was the source.

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/856735098175180800

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭johnp001

He called them a non state intelligence agency who were hostile to the US ( Think Vault 7 ).

You should probably get your facts right ( as shown below and what I've been saying all along, apparently to deaf ears ) and stop listening to the loons on msnbc who frequently suggest Putin told Assad to gas his own people.

They don't know how Wikileaks got the emails, they don't know when, and they don't know who was the source.

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/856735098175180800

This is Julian Assange on the Ron Paul Liberty Report explaining the significance of the non state intelligence "classification"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

If Assange were interested in honesty and truth, he'd have been in the US over two months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Wowwwwwwwwwww,, I have just realised.....We are just so lucky, so, so, so lucky that the United States of America has never interfered in an election ever in its history.

Well apart from interfering in elections in every part of the globe, but other than that, so lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I'm still waiting for the "evidence" how Russia persuaded approximately 32 million Americans to vote for Trump.

johnp001 wrote: »
    This is Julian Assange on the Ron Paul Liberty Report explaining the significance of the non state intelligence "classification"

Yeah I watched it earlier, learned nothing new though. It's always the same questions and answers. Love Ron Paul, and his son is doing great work too imo.

I'm still waiting for the "evidence" how Russia persuaded approximately 32 million Americans to vote for Trump.

You'll never get it, all you'll get is muh Russia fed by the salivating liberal media hysteria. There's no substance just garbled fallacies like that what's been repeated in this thread over and over. They won't accept they lost the social media war because of Trumps online presence ( Muh Russian bots ) and they certainly won't accept Wikileaks publishes whatever it receives ( Comey. Obama, Clapper said no ties to Russia ). Anything and everything to makes excuses for Trumps victory.

I've been turned off by Trump lately, the CIA or whoever else have won that war, but it was fun for a while. I will however, continue to support Wikileaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Comey. Obama, Clapper said no ties to Russia

The investigations are still going on.

You're that confidant that there was no laws broken?

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »
    The investigations are still going on.

You're that confidant that there was no laws broken?

I was talking about Wikileaks and the email releases where people like to brand them as a Russian front when Clapper, Comey and Obama said there was no evidence of that.

If you meant Trump I think it's possible laws were broken by people connected to him, Flynn never disclosed foreign payments etc. I don't believe there's some big conspiracy going on and Trump masterminded a coverup.

( Comey. Obama, Clapper said no ties to Russia ).

This is a bald faced lie. Can you please substantiate this comment or else perhaps remove it and stop spreading disinformation?

Read the Steele dossier. Most of it has been verified by US intelligence now.
    Also explain 8-10 of the Trump campaign and admin lying about contacts to Russian officials and spies.
    There is also a counterintelligence investigation into coordination between Trump campaign and Russia as well as two congress investigations. That's not counting the DOJ investigation into the NY FBI, the Pentagon and ethics committee investigation into General Flynn. Last week the WH refused point blank to supply requested information on this matter to the Ethics committee.
    There is loads more. Plenty of evidence just no proof yet: wait for impeachment trial and after indictments.
    What really irks me is that guys like you can continually come on here and break a thread for hours by posting saying black is white, forcing genuine users to be derailed to refute you.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Hi folks,
    Can I remind everyone what the charter says with regard to allegations of lying:
    Allegations of lying are taken very seriously. Simply calling someone a liar is not acceptable without proof, the onus is on you to provide the proof that they are deliberately and intentionally trying to deceive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Not sure if it's referring to the Trump admin lying about contact with Russia, but there have been a number of them - it's the reason why Jeff Sessions has had to recuse himself from all investigations also. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/03/02/trump-teams-many-many-denials-contacts-russia/98625780/

There are a whole bunch of them, closest to Trump being his own son in law - http://www.rawstory.com/2017/04/democratic-rep-jared-kushner-committed-perjury-by-lying-on-his-fbi-disclosure-forms/

Perhaps the most comical has been Carter Page, whom an FSB agent correctly labeled an idiot, his interview with Anderson Cooper a few weeks back is pure gold - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ZcZ7s-3O8

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

Its still an ongoing investigation
    A Senate Judiciary subcommittee says it will hear testimony in May from former acting attorney general Sally Yates, who was fired in the early days of the Trump administration, and James Clapper, the former director of national intelligence under President Barack Obama. The May 8 open hearing will be the first opportunity for the public to hear Yates' account of her role in the firing of Trump's first national security adviser, Michael Flynn.

http://time.com/4754803/donald-trump-russia-investigation-momentum/

Or do you expect boards members to investigate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

( Comey. Obama, Clapper said no ties to Russia ).

That is not entirely true

Clapper said
    This could have unfolded or become available in the time since I left the government.,” Clapper replied, “but at the time I – we had no evidence of such collusion

What did Comey said in regards to Russian interference with the elections ?

weisses wrote: »

Clapper said

He said the below:

From the House Intel hearing:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/03/20/full-transcript-fbi-director-james-comey-testifies-on-russian-interference-in-2016-election/?utm_term=.eeff61bc1578

SCHIFF: Thank you, Mr. Chairman.

I just want to follow up with a few questions about Roger Stone that I had started with earlier before I passed it to my colleagues. Director Comey, are you aware that Roger Stone played a role in the Trump campaign?

COMEY: I'm not going to talk about any particular person here today, Mr. Schiff.

SCHIFF: I'm going to continue to ask these questions because among other things, I want to make sure you are aware of these facts whether you're able to comment on them political dirty tricks?

COMEY: I'll give you the same answer, sir..........

SCHIFF: This is a question I think you can answer. Do you know whether the Russian intelligence service has dealt directly with WikiLeaks or whether they too used an intermediary?

COMEY: We assessed they used some kind of cutout. They didn't deal directly with WikiLeaks. In contrast to D.C. Leaks and Guccifer 2.0.

SCHIFF: In early October, are you aware that Mr. Stone tweeted I have total confidence that my hero, Julian Assange will educate the American people soon. Are you aware of that tweet?

COMEY: I'm back to my original same answer.

SCHIFF: And are you aware that it was only days later that WikiLeaks released the Podesta e-mails?

COMEY: Same answer.

SCHIFF: I'm going to yield now to Mr. Himes.

Comey said they used a 'cutout' (intermediary). At no point did he say there was no evidence of collusion.
    Comey doesn't answer the question about Roger Stone (hinting at the fact that he was the potential intermediary.)

None of these implies that Comey said there was no links between Wikileaks and Russia. Same with Clapper, Obama and anyone else.

Such a statement is a fabrication.

Muh Russia. Anything Stone said Wikileaks made public on their twitter feed beforehand and he repeated it, and he's kept repeating it and appearing on TV for more book sales. Complete calamity and dexterity towards confirmation bias and Stone more than anyone has played people like a fiddle. Go check the time lines.

• Advertisement

weisses wrote: »

Clapper said

Yeah, let's keep trying to prove negatives. All three said ( three being Clapper, Obama, Comey ) they have no insight into Wikileaks and the publications, I.E they don't know how they got the documents.

Here's an actual question worth debating, why did the DNC hand their server to a ( now somewhat discredited ) third party and not let the FBI investigate it?

Advertisement